Bush repeals Offshore drilling ban....

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Sorry for being largely uninformed on this one, but I am asking y'all for a little "information".

I just read on CNN that it was official, President Bush repealed the ban on offshore drilling, but "It does not mean much..."

Can anyone knowledgable about this subject explain? What needs to happen then?

Thanks in advance.

Condensed version:

in their infinite wisdom, our politicians (staying non-partisan here) banned drilling in many areas (Alaska, off shore or any other spot that might be considered "Ecologically sensitive") and this includes international waters...

In the mean time, Korea and a few other international entities are working on drilling these areas themselves and are racing ahead in technology... (oh we were so smart here)

Well A few have been screaming to open up these areas to US interests as well as Alaska... (this is 5 years too late btw)

We also need some new refineries.... (another story)

Anyway, through presidential powers, at least one guy is going to try and help the issue.. (too little to late).. even if his dad was the jerkball that put this into effect in the first place... (but oil was $55 a barrel then)

OH...

I was listening to the radio at lunch and at this time the D.J. was saying that It looks like the president MAY repeal the ban...and so on...

Then the D.J. added "In my opinion this is something the current Bush should have done 8 years ago, or President Clinton should have done 16 years ago." He then started the music, so I was left to wonder. I am by now means a young'n at 31, but 16 years ago I really would not have been paying much attention, and 8 years ago probably should have been paying more attention!

Condensed version:

in their infinite wisdom, our politicians (staying non-partisan here) banned drilling in many areas (Alaska, off shore or any other spot that might be considered "Ecologically sensitive") and this includes international waters...

In the mean time, Korea and a few other international entities are working on drilling these areas themselves and are racing ahead in technology...  (oh we were so smart here)

Well A few have been screaming to open up these areas to US interests as well as Alaska... (this is 5 years too late btw)

We also need some new refineries.... (another story)

Anyway, through presidential powers,  at least one guy is going to try and help the issue.. (too little to late).. even if his dad was the jerkball that put this into effect in the first place... (but oil was $55 a barrel then)
What he said....
thumb_up.gif

There is also a congressional ban that would have to be lifted...
I dont think they have a choice... and correct, that was the other part... we need a new refinery or 3 to even take advantage of additional crude stocks... 30 years of failed energy policy is about to take an even bigger bite

The Presidents actions wont change anything until the Democraticly controlled Congress lifts the ban also

www.AmericanSolutions.com

Dear ,

I'm delighted to inform you that President Bush just signed an executive order to allow offshore drilling along our coast. This is a major victory in our effort to reduce gas prices, and it would have not happened without your help. Your petition signature allowed us to send a message to Washington that could not be ignored. President Bush's executive order will overturn an eighteen year-old offshore drilling ban imposed by President George H.W. Bush.

This is a significant victory, but we cannot stop there.

Congress still must act before Americans can start searching for oil offshore, and we must keep the pressure on them until they take action to lower our gas prices. We plan to accomplish this by collecting 3,000,000 "Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less." petition signatures that we'll present to both the Republican and Democrat Conventions in August. You can help us reach this goal by inviting your friends and family to sign the petition by clicking here.

Thank you for joining this grassroots movement and helping raise awareness about this important issue.

Sincerely,

Dave Ryan

Executive Director

American Solutions

r8

www.AmericanSolutions.com

Dear ,

I'm delighted to inform you that President Bush just signed an executive order to allow offshore drilling along our coast. This is a major victory in our effort to reduce gas prices, and it would have not happened without your help. Your petition signature allowed us to send a message to Washington that could not be ignored. President Bush's executive order will overturn an eighteen year-old offshore drilling ban imposed by President George H.W. Bush.

This is a significant victory, but we cannot stop there.

Congress still must act before Americans can start searching for oil offshore, and we must keep the pressure on them until they take action to lower our gas prices. We plan to accomplish this by collecting 3,000,000 "Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less." petition signatures that we'll present to both the Republican and Democrat Conventions in August. You can help us reach this goal by inviting your friends and family to sign the petition by clicking here.

Thank you for joining this grassroots movement and helping raise awareness about this important issue.

Sincerely,

Dave Ryan

Executive Director

American Solutions

r8
I drill oil wells for a living, and can tell you that there is no "Searching for oil" to be done... We know right where it is and are just waiting to go back and tap it again... ( Did I just say "Tap it again"
rock.gif
laugh.gif
)
beerchug.gif

It probably took this much pain (and maybe more) at the pump to get the politicians serious about this. Too many folks cry "not in my backyard" when it comes to almost any type of new facilities that produce energy (oil, wind, solar, natural gas, etc...). Why is that the government elites know better than the vast unwashed citizens that they're supposed to represent?
argue.gif

It means NOTHING
winkold.gif
, because the Dems in both Houses (you do know they have controlled both Houses for 2 years now) say they will NOT REPEAL the Ban. So
sadnews.gif
, Bushs repeal is only a jester
dunno.gif
. Sad
sad.gif
, but since most Voters don't have the Foggyest Idea
idea3.gif
 how our Government works
whistling.gif
, they'll just blame Bush
banghead.gif

I think the Dems are seeing the light.. some of the hardliners are changing tunes due to election year...

There is also a congressional ban that would have to be lifted...
I dont think they have a choice... and correct, that was the other part... we need a new refinery or 3 to even take advantage of additional crude stocks...   30 years of failed energy policy is about to take an even bigger bite
I really like how those in congress (mostly the dems) keep saying we must find a fix to the oil problems and gas prices and investigate the oil companies for wrong doing then turn around a vote against drilling in Alaska, on the continental shelf on both coasts, in the gulf and everywhere else as well as voting against allowing new refineries to be built.

Nothing like being told they are working on it only to see their actions say they haven't done a thing!

Back