busahigg .... need wheelie tips

mikeyusf

Registered
disclamer- this is a discussion on how to wheelie the busa, not your chance to give me a morality speech. stfu if you dont have anything to contribute, and %*%^$# somewhere else. I paid for my bike in cash and if I wreck it, it's my penny not yours.

with that said, whats a good way to start learning wheelies on the busa. I've got about 10,000 miles on mine, and I'm interested in learning a slow, graduated way to wheelie. If you were at a deserted road with me and I was asking you how to wheelie, what would you say?

Also, I'm -1 front sprocket, so this should help. Should I start by learning standups from the beginning? I'm 6'4" if this means anything.

Help me out, if I wreck, sh*t happens, lol

Mike

disclamer- this is a discussion on how to wheelie the busa, not your chance to give me a morality speech. stfu if you dont have anything to contribute, and %*%^$# somewhere else. I paid for my bike in cash and if I wreck it, it's my penny not yours.

with that said, whats a good way to start learning wheelies on the busa. I've got about 10,000 miles on mine, and I'm interested in learning a slow, graduated way to wheelie. If you were at a deserted road with me and I was asking you how to wheelie, what would you say?

Also, I'm -1 front sprocket, so this should help. Should I start by learning standups from the beginning? I'm 6'4" if this means anything.

Help me out, if I wreck, sh*t happens, lol

Mike
Hey Mikey,

I really don't like to tell people how to do it, because there are different ways that people prefer. I personally don't like the 1st gear ones. Their too radical in my opinion. I like getting it up in 2nd from a roll-on. Bike feels more stable and controlled. I don't do stand-ups because I am too tall and it's not real comfortable to me (BTW, I'm 6'5").

P.S. I also wanted to say that I like your style dude. You just say what the f^ck is on your mind. I respect that sh^t.

Brian

Ahem,...I don't do wheelies so I have nothing to say...

I'm not a wheelie pro.  I can't even ride one.  But I have read alot and learned a few things that I will be starting soon to do standing wheelie's on my Busa.

1. Learn to ride with left hand with 2 fingers on handle, 2 fingers on clutch.  This gives you better control of handle bars while clutching and allows you to pull up if/when need be.
2.  It's heavy, so sit back in the seat a bit [standing might be different]
3.  Three types I know of are clutch pop, compression bounce, and throttle:
Clutch:  as mentioned above, rev up and drop the clutch.  start at lower rpms til you find what works for you.  These are kinda violent and scarey sometimes so start small.  Busa has loads of power so don't over do it at first.  Rolling in second gear about 10-20 is fine for this lower speed pop up
Compression bounce:  in second [or whatever gear you choose] roll OFF throttle quickly, completely causing nose to dive, and while it's bounce back 1/5 of a second later, roll on throttle hard and it will use the bouce to come up easier.
Throttle:  many modern bikes [heavey busa included] have enough power to simple gun the throttle and come up.  I've done this in 2nd and 3rd gears so far on busa.  one was around 80 when I dropped in 3rd and gunned it, up it came.  
smile.gif

I'm still pondering the return to Earth part of it, cuz right now I come down HARD.  Maybe someon has tips for me there.  Stunt videos come down hard too so I don't feel so bad, but it has to be possible to land softly.  I WILL figure it out.  
biggrin.gif
You can go thru gears on a wheelie and even steer with some leaning.  I guess that's the advanced class.  Obviously, it's about balance - you and bike so your position is critial to find what works. Other things, I've seen, read, heard is stopping the wheelie... so far I just roll off the throttle, but I haven't gone for than 45 degrees for 2-3 seconds [I suck].  I've read to stop from going over or to even the rise out to tap LIGHTLKY the REAR break.  Haven't tried it yet but makes sense. Another reason to understand or learn wheelies is they can happen by accident and *I* BELIEVE it's best to know how to control that WHEN it does happen.  Pretty unlikely you will ACCIDENTLY do a stoppie, or fall off the back and hold on to the seat handle, or accidently find your self standing on the tank, but wheelies DO happen.  Learn a little, ride safer a LOT.

Like I said, I'm still learning, no expert at all but hope that helped.  Don't know your level so I hope it wasn't too dumbed down or something.  My sources were many, many different cycle mags - they have these little tidbits sometimes "How to" type stuff, some guys that went to racing school and were okay wheeliing, a year of random experiments.  It's not a goal in my life to wheelie but I do think it's good to know, so it's been very slow going. Hopefully other guys here will share there tips.  Reguardless of moral opinions.  
smile.gif

Keep in mind the law:  in Iowa riding one wheel is "Failure to control the vehicle" [huh?? it's superior control getting me there] and wins you the coveted GREEN SLIP PRIZE

smile.gif

Hey Mike,

I have found the roll-off-roll-method works great for starting out.  You get nice relatively gentle wheelies.  Just motor along in first at about 5-5500 RPMs close the throttle briefly then open it again with a bit of a snap.  No tug, no weight transfer just throttle.  In Second as well, same technique just at about 6000RPM.  

Doing it this way I feel gives me a good idea of what is coming and gives my amature reflexes (and Nerve) enough time to react.  Keep your head in it on first though, it will come up in a hurry, especially with your gearing. Don't just grab a gobshite of throttle on the roll on, right around 45-50% open nice and quick seems to do the trick.

Rev.

Mike the best way to learn how to pull er up is to practice.
It's hard to take a training course on wheelies on the net dude.
She'll come up no problem at all if you just roll on her hard, either that or leave a stop bring it up to 8g in first (moving) then let off the throttle for a split sec then roll back on it hard..... she'll lift like a schoolgirls skirt on prom night!!!!!
Always be ready to let off quickly when it gets to verticle.

Hey Mike,

I have found the roll-off-roll-method works great for starting out.  You get nice relatively gentle wheelies.  Just motor along in first at about 5-5500 RPMs close the throttle briefly then open it again with a bit of a snap.  No tug, no weight transfer just throttle.  In Second as well, same technique just at about 6000RPM.  

Doing it this way I feel gives me a good idea of what is coming and gives my amature reflexes (and Nerve) enough time to react.  Keep your head in it on first though, it will come up in a hurry, especially with your gearing.  Don't just grab a gobshite of throttle on the roll on, right around 45-50% open nice and quick seems to do the trick.

Rev.
Exactly........Very good start.......Mine won't roll on wheelie in second, but when you start with the stand-ups it's way more controlled.

I'M STILL LEARNING, BUT IN FIRST AT 4,500-5,000 I JUST NAIL IT AND IT COMES UP PRETTY FAST, THEN JUST KEEP OPENING AND CLOSING THE THROTTLE. IN SECOND HIT IT HARD AT 6000-6500, LET OFF QUICK AND NAIL IT AGAIN AND IT COMES RIGHT UP. JUST WHAT I KNOW. I STILL KEEP IT RIGHT BEFORE THE BALANCE POINT, WHEN I HIT THAT POINT I ALWAYS LET OFF (CHICKEN OUT). I JUST NEED TO GO A LITTLE FURTHER. I NEED TO LEARN STAND-UPS SOON!

Dan1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to remember is a lot of "return to Earths" will loosen your fork braces. Keep checking and tightening them.

Everyone has given great responses...

Also check out: http://www.ononewheel.com.

This school is travelling the country giving 1 day classes for $495. You get to wheelie (starting out very small) all day long! Call Whitney Fair at 323-224-2739 for schedule info in your area.

Mike with my michelin pilot hpx's I have learned to do a hole shot out of first warming up the tire into a 2nd gear shift, and then staying on the throttle brings it up easily, haven't made it to third yet, but all good things in time.

Heya Mike,

I started runnin around on one wheel with something quite different than my busa. My first wheely was on a Honda Deauville (NTV650), wich is some 45 lbs heavier than a busa, only has 52hp and 36Nm torque and a cardan instead of a chain. I used the "clutch drop" in first at about 6500 rpm. It came up alright but did not have the power to keep it there. My (humble) opinion is that the clutchdrop is more usefull on underpowered bikes, the busa has absolutely no need for this AND I bet it's MUCH harder on your clutch as the roll-off-roll-on method.
With the busa this is the method I use, you drive 1 or 2 gears to low for your (constant) speed, close the throttle (I sometimes give the front brake a little nudge - but that's not entirely necessary) when the front springs bounce back up, you open the throttle fast but controlled. In second and certainly in first you might easily overdo it, so be gentle. Try making small one's first: an inch, half a foot, a foot, two feet, ... etc etc
The rear brake: Yes, you should cover it, and yes, it could save your bike (or even your life) BUT: I have found, when a wheely goes wrong and your brain is going: oh oh ... you are gonna FORGET the back brake. So have I in a thousand cases. So, just like WWJD said: keep two fingers on the clutch! 9 out of 10 you'll panic and pull it down, cutting power and saving your ass.
Pure throttle: I've seen many people do it, but I can't seem to master it. You'll have to go with other peoples advice on this one.

One last thing: SLOWER wheelies are NOT safer (or easier). The sudden blast of power is far more likely to tip you over at 20 mph than at 50 mph ...

busahigg
Exactly........Very good start.......Mine won't roll on wheelie in second, but when you start with the stand-ups it's way more controlled.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that stand up wheelies are easier? I mean I can see it being a little safer as you are effectivly lowering your bikes center of gravity, but still seems counter intuitive.

Hell if they are easier I'm game. For lil ones anyway.

Oh Busahigg, have you experianced any wheelie related mechanical problems?
Thanks, Rev

I would think that a stand up wheelie would be tough for someone over 6ft tall. Too far of a reach, or you'd have to be too bent over. Sitting down for taller riders might be the better way.

Sitting down for taller riders might be the better way.[/QUOTE]
I agree, sit down wheelies are just fun, standing up makes them feel a little suicidal ...
I'm 1 m 93 bare foot, don't know what that is in ft/inches, but I'll calculate it one of these days ...

As you are coming back to earth, Right before your front tire hits the deck give it a little throttle and the landing will be smooth as glass.

Back