Busa Won't Rev Past 9k

Jobus

Registered
Hi All,
Just joined, need help, as per topic, however I believe each bike has it own background!! Bought bike in August last year and never rode it to redline since this weekend, when I discovered the topic! It is strong to that rev then makes as if cutout and throw fire on pipe. Removed fuel filter and cleaned and checked all other suggestions from other posts! Bike has datatool alarm and Gipro!
How do they interfere and could they be the cause? Need to understand that please? Further bike is very nice to ride! I also saw some time back that the neutral light did not come on, and while revving, it flashes! Trying to give as much detail as possible! I am not mechanic would appreciate any assistance or suggestions!
Blessings to all from Namibia!!

With your flashing neutral light, it could also be linked to the GPS (gear position sensor), plugged in, under the fuel tank but sensor is located behind the clutch basket, on the large, right hand side of the engine cover.
I don’t have enough knowledge of this sensor, to give a good opinion, I only know that it sends a signal to the ecu and then the ecu can make changes to fuel, spark and electronic timing, for optimal engine performance, in all gears.
If the gps is faulty, it could be telling the ecu that the bike is stuck in a lower gear.
Can you rev the bike past 9k in 1st, 2nd, for example?

Morning David,
Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. The neutral light flashes when it is parked and I rev it to see when I made some changes if there is improvement. When I ride it, it does the same in all gears I assume since I did not test in 5th and 6th!! It seems to be throughout the gears! Will try to exchange some parts from another bike and see. We also have a challenge here and mostly parts have to be ordered from South Africa! So it is good to exactly know what is faulty to try and get replacement and budget is also shoestring!!!(HaHa). It would have been nice if the codes indicated the fault!! Seems they never help (reading from other posts on the forum) with finding the problem!!

Good morning jobus.
If it’s giving problems in all gears, I’d say it probably isn’t the gps, after having my problem, I’d be looking at the ckps, I didn’t get a ckps code (not sure if there is one), coils/plugs, breaking down, under load, could also stop the bike going past 9k but tbh, I’ve found that coils and plugs suffer because of an underlying fault and are usually not the main problem.
The flickering neatral light should not be ignored but it doesn’t sound linked (to me) to your engine running problem.
Hope someone else can offer another suggestions.

I hope you can get this one figured out. I had problems with my GPS on my 2009 (GEN2) and had to replace it, but I never felt it cause the issue you mention in every gear. I’m not an aggressive rider, so maybe it did and I just never felt it because my bike rarely sees 9k RPM. Good luck and update this thread with all your findings.

David,
do you perhaps know where to download a manual on the site?
I have a Haynes manual at home, I’ll attach some page photos, a bit later, I’m afraid, that’s the best I can do.
I know that there are some manuals free, online but I don’t know where to look.

I don’t know if you had any luck, with finding a manual online, so, I’ve photographed some pages from my Haynes manual, concerning the ckps and gps.
Note, it says that you should drain the oil, to remove the alternator engine cover but there is no need to, I lent my bike over to the right, against a wooden fence, to remove the cover, just put a small tray underneath, when removing the cover, only a little oil will come out.

C9B2A4A9-CAE7-461D-A094-D16F8D5FF5B3.jpeg

681D98EC-16AB-4DBB-BAF5-A16386DC5934.jpeg

47D56A89-5B75-457C-B84D-A4AB196DC68F.jpeg

84ADA75E-786F-419E-91A9-026D2B8EFD44.jpeg

1335359D-A2A7-46B2-BEF3-D0893A4A0FB8.jpeg

ADE73C73-8E68-44BE-B7B9-A05FEEAA1B17.jpeg

Hi D,
Thank you so much Sir, I have not won yet, will work through text and pics, they are so useful!! Will keep you pisted!!

What I’ve suggested, are only guesses, from my own experience and how I’ve interpreted what you’ve posted.
It could quite easily be something different causing your problem, as most of the time, it comes down to a process of elimination, in fault finding but usually experience from others, can at least point in the right direction.
Good luck.

D.
I do not know when this problem started, I guess I bought the bike with it for now I suspect over fuelling due to the horrible smell when attempting to rev, which could be due to some body messing with the computer for performance!!??? I was informed there is something called a yosh box that could be used to check and get it back to stock if that is the issue! Ideally a exchange computer is also a option to eliminate the problem, tried a 99 model box last night but it did not even wanted to start! Was just puffing fuel smoke!. I will get to the bottom of it!
Thank you for your kind advice!BTW, where are you based?
Cheers

You should get confirmation from someone, that your ecu has not been tampered with, if it has, then that’s the first thing to put right. I’ve heard of a yoshi box but ecu remapping and management, is out of my experience, there are a few people on the site that know a lot about it, hopefully some others will offer some suggestions.
The 99 ecu is different to the 2001, I think they just swapped some pins around on the two large connectors that plug into the ecu, I know I’ve seen the pin diagrams on this site and which ones need swapping around, for it to work on a 2001 bike but I’d reccommend that something like that is only tried if you are 100% confident that you know the exact year of the bike and ecu, that you are trying, don’t want to fry a good ecu.
I’m in Staines, uk.

Last edited:
Back