Busa will only run when tilted to the left?

capttwo6

Registered
Hey guys fairly new Busa owner here. I was doing some tight turns the other day in an open lot. The bike was running fine until it started to feel like it was bogging and the the RPMs were bouncing all over the place then it shut off on me. I could get it started but it would die after a second or two with me sitting on it. I was trying to diagnose the problem and I ended up firing it up again but this time with it sitting on the kickstand. It idled perfect and ran for a few minutes with no issues. Thinking the problem was gone I sat on the bike and leaned it upright and sure enough it died again. I decided to do some left turns leaning pretty good and it ran just fine but as soon as I switched to right turns it started to die out on me again. Has anyone had this issue before? The bike will only run when it is leaning left which has me puzzled. I searched pretty good on the forums but I couldn't find anything specific to my issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

maybe a faulty "tilt" sensor? I'm not too familiar with these bikes just yet but i know some of my past bikes and a sensor that would cut the bike off if it fell over.

I concur with Kiwi...perhaps the tight left and right turning unloosed something in the fuel system (a particle of dirt/rust, etc)...especially if the bike was running fine before hand.

Like with many things, it will be something simple that will make you want to facepalm yourself...

If it was a faulty tip-over sensor, it wouldn't run even on the sidestand.

I concur with Kiwi...perhaps the tight left and right turning unloosed something in the fuel system (a particle of dirt/rust, etc)...especially if the bike was running fine before hand.

Like with many things, it will be something simple that will make you want to facepalm yourself...

If it was a faulty tip-over sensor, it wouldn't run even on the sidestand.
Exactly right!
It’s all pointing to fuel supply problems I’m thinking....

Sounds to me like a fuel system issue.
Remove fuel sender unit from underside of tank and inspect tank for rust.
Also remove the fuel tap and check for blocked screen.
That's a good starting point.
Have fun~!
Thanks for the advice Kiwi. The weather is looking good this weekend so I'll take a look under and inside the tank and see if I can narrow it down. My FI light did come on after I stalled on a quickstop and immediately started the bike. It was on until I turned the bike off and back on again but I let the fuel pump prime for a few seconds and the light went away? But that was a good amount of time before the bike started acting weird so I do think it could be fuel related like you mentioned, I was just hoping this was a known issue.

Back