Busa vs. ZX12

blas32

Registered
My friends ZX12r was ready to go this weekend and the weather was perfect, so we went to some great roads for our area.  It was the first time we had a chance to go head to head with both bikes at their peaks.  My Busa has 171hp and the ZX 175hp with 101torque for the Busa and 95 torque for the ZX (I weigh 220 and he weighs 195). With those #'s you can probably guess what the outcome was.  We did about 20 roll-ons from 2nd,3rd and 4th and with equal starts they were very close.  At the lower rpms I would jump to the lead and as the rpms increased, the ZX gained. As we shifted, I would pull ahead and the ZX would start creeping up as the rpms got higher.  I usually held on the throttle longer and would end up ahead at about 160mph.  I seemed to have the best performance in a 3rd gear roll-on, which resulted in a 2 bike-length lead.  In second gear, the rpm's usually started higher, so the race would alternate between the two of us. Roll-ons are not an exact science, but since I drive a Busa, I would have to give the edge to me!!!!!!!!!! Gearing played a big part with the Busa -1 in the front +2 in the back with ZX -2 in the front.  We had a stock 02 ZX12 riding with us and I wanted to see what would happen in a third gear roll-on.  You guessed it right- it wasn't even close!!!  One of  the many reasons I chose a Busa was because I was tired of my GSXR 1000 getting eaten up by the ZX.  I feel alot better riding with my buddy knowing I have the power of the Busa beneath me!

Love to eat those Ninjas.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Have you eliminated the element of rider skill by switching bikes and seeing if the results would be the same?

Did not get a chance to switch bikes, even though roll-ons don't take much skill. If we were starting from a dead stop start I think the rider would affect the outcome more than a roll-on. It would be interesting to see if the weight difference (25lbs.) would change the results.

Did not get a chance to switch bikes, even though roll-ons don't take much skill.  If we were starting from a dead stop start I think the rider would affect the outcome more than a roll-on.  It would be interesting to see if the weight difference (25lbs.) would change the results.
Weight would make a major difference...I out weigh Whoa by 50 so when we swap he beats me...And I'm cool with that...

Blas32 it was you that had taken on the 12 w/o gear changes before right?
rock.gif

My buddy also has a ZX12 he is about 245 I am 265 stock gearing I have a TWo Brothers 4-2-1 he has a Muzzy other than that stock . Same results very close I have alittle more pull down low he catches up up high somewhere in the middle we pull side by side to 160 after that we let off. We switched bikes he pulled me with my bike same as I did to him

The 12 usually pulls me low but once I pass they get little quick...
wink.gif

Yes, before I changed my gearing I got smoked by the geared ZX!!
How about a "Thanks STUNNAH for the gearing info..."  
smile.gif
My bad, I forgot you are the one I got the info from.  I just read the old post.  You are definitely correct about the gearing change, without it my bike had no chance with a geared ZX12.  Thanks for your help!
I was joking bout the thanks...Can run one that's geared if your not...I don't understand how he is staying with you though...I've got a partner and were almost the same build and weight and I tear his ass off the frame every time we tie up...Snoop around he may have a mod he has not told you about...
rock.gif

My 1497cc Hayabusa will destroy my buddies 1270cc ZX12R in top gear rollon's its not even close and I weigh 35pounds more than he does. My Busa is making 220hp 126lb torque with no turbo or Nos and his 12 makes 202hp and 102lbs torque where the Busa rules is torque the 12 just doesn't make the torque of the Busa.

I bust my friend up regularly on his........we weigh about the same , but he is about 42 years old and I'm 27. That might have a bit to do with it. On the other hand, the 12 is an extremely nice bike.........very powerful and corners much better than the Busa..............I'm still keepin the Busa though.

My 1497cc Hayabusa will destroy my buddies 1270cc ZX12R in top gear rollon's its not even close and I weigh 35pounds more than he does. My Busa is making 220hp 126lb torque with no turbo or Nos and his 12 makes 202hp and 102lbs torque where the Busa rules is torque the 12 just doesn't make the torque of the Busa.
You have some big #'s and are way above the ZX12 you go against. My #'s are very close with my friends ZX12, he has me by 5hp and I have him by 6torque. This will make for closer roll-ons. We both have similar gearing, if not that will make a huge difference.

You have some big #'s and are way above the ZX12 you go against.  My #'s are very close with my friends ZX12, he has me by 5hp and I have him by 6torque.  This will make for closer roll-ons.  We both have similar gearing, if not that will make a huge difference.
Blas maybe your not riding correctly...You should be eating him up now...Just whack that throttle wide open and let him smell your exhaust...
jump9.gif

Just joking don't go gettin all upset and stuff...
smile.gif

I bust my friend up regularly on his........we weigh about the same , but he is about 42 years old and I'm 27.  That might have a bit to do with it.  On the other hand, the 12 is an extremely nice bike.........very powerful and corners much better than the Busa..............I'm still keepin the Busa though.
I haven't ridden a 12, but find it hard to believe that it corners better than the Busa.

Comments?

Back