Busa vs. ZX-14

From a drag racing point of view, the ZX-14 for the last few years has had amazingly easy clutch control over the Hayabusa

People ask me all the time about the differences between the 14R and a Busa. My answer is always the same. "The 14R does most everything just a little bit better except for the brakes. It brakes way better."

The difference in performance certainly isn't enough to justify the extra money it would take for a current Busa owner to trade up to the 14R. I say that after having traded just that way, but my situation was quite different than most.

Honestly, it wouldn't take much for the Busa to get back on top. Just some investment by Suzuki, which may not be possible at the moment.

Thing is, I've been thinking if a new bike, because I've had mine for 7 years. Thought about the Harley Fat Boy Lo, but I think I'm stuck on superbikes for now. I sat on the 1199 Panigale, and it feels really small and narrow. So, when I saw the 2013 ZX-14R, I thought that it's just different enough to be something new. But, at $16K for the ABS model, that's a lot of scratch to lay out when I already have one that looks awesome, runs like crazy, and had the 8,000 mile service not too long ago. Gotta check out one in person next to the new Busas, because the Gen 2's really have some nice lines. Maybe at the NYC cycle show in January.

I've stayed away from the 14 vs Busa threads, but I guess I'll just weigh in just this once.

I've never ridden a 14. I've seen a couple in person, and I've seen lots of pic's on the net.

I simply think the looks of the 14 leans past the 50/50 mark towards touring in the sport touring equation.

I think the Busa's looks lean on the side of sport in the same equation.

I'm looking at, or getting looked at (on) the Busa 99% more than I'm trying to wrench out a little more speed.

Pretty much every time I ride the Busa, someone will be standing over it telling me how "hot" it is, or "baddass".

I can't say I disagree. It's a sexy machine.

Sorry, but I can't say the same for the 14. It's just my own opinion, but the lines of the Busa are so nicely flowing in comparison.

14 owners, please don't be mad at me for saying that. I'm sure it's a great bike and can out run my Busa (well mine is a turbo, so most likely can't).

Best
Sean

I've stayed away from the 14 vs Busa threads, but I guess I'll just weigh in just this once.

I've never ridden a 14. I've seen a couple in person, and I've seen lots of pic's on the net.

I simply think the looks of the 14 leans past the 50/50 mark towards touring in the sport touring equation.

I think the Busa's looks lean on the side of sport in the same equation.

I'm looking at, or getting looked at (on) the Busa 99% more than I'm trying to wrench out a little more speed.

Pretty much every time I ride the Busa, someone will be standing over it telling me how "hot" it is, or "baddass".

I can't say I disagree. It's a sexy machine.

Sorry, but I can't say the same for the 14. It's just my own opinion, but the lines of the Busa are so nicely flowing in comparison.

14 owners, please don't be mad at me for saying that. I'm sure it's a great bike and can out run my Busa (well mine is a turbo, so most likely can't).

Best
Sean

I completely agree with you about the Kawi being a little more touring and the Busa being a little more sporty. The Busa feels more wild and raw, where the 14R seems more like throttling up a well-controlled turbofan engine. Both of them are amazing machines.

Having owned both bikes though, I can honestly say that the Kawi seems to get just as much attention as the Busa ever did. Apparently Kawasaki's marketing team has done it's job because many people seem to know exactly what my bike is. I get a lot of stuff like "Oh, that's the new Ninja" and "Is that one really faster than the Busa like I've heard?" While nobody can deny the Busa's long-standing reputation, people would be wrong to assume that there aren't other bikes that are also very well known outside of the hardcore motorcycle community. I never would've thought that would be the case until I got this one though. It was surprising.

:beerchug:

I completely agree with you about the Kawi being a little more touring and the Busa being a little more sporty. The Busa feels more wild and raw, where the 14R seems more like throttling up a well-controlled turbofan engine. Both of them are amazing machines.

Having owned both bikes though, I can honestly say that the Kawi seems to get just as much attention as the Busa ever did. Apparently Kawasaki's marketing team has done it's job because many people seem to know exactly what my bike is. I get a lot of stuff like "Oh, that's the new Ninja" and "Is that one really faster than the Busa like I've heard?" While nobody can deny the Busa's long-standing reputation, people would be wrong to assume that there aren't other bikes that are also very well known outside of the hardcore motorcycle community. I never would've thought that would be the case until I got this one though. It was surprising.

:beerchug:

Don't get me wrong, a lot of Busa guys call the 14 ugly and what-not. I don't think it's ugly, It just reminds me more of a really nice fast looking touring bike.

The compliments I'm talking about are usually from people who don't know much about the current state of speed. They just like the looks of the Busa. I'm sure the Kawi gets that too.

All the Best
Sean

busa is pretty 14r is evil :laugh: I don't see the 14r being more a tourer.The pegs are too far back and the seat curls up too high.But then I have a FJR for touring.

busa is pretty 14r is evil :laugh: I don't see the 14r being more a tourer.The pegs are too far back and the seat curls up too high.But then I have a FJR for touring.

:laugh:

Between the two, the 14R actually has a more relaxed seating position. Compared to the Busa, the bars are wider and they come up to meet you more, and the pegs actually feel lower and more forward. The seat is bigger and wider and more comfortable for mega-mileage rides, but it's more cumbersome when you're trying to get your butt off the edge in the twisties. I'm not sure how much you'd notice all that from just sitting on one, but you can really tell it going down the road. I say this having never even sat on a Gen I Busa or 14, so I'm not sure how they would compare.

:laugh:

Between the two, the 14R actually has a more relaxed seating position. Compared to the Busa, the bars are wider and they come up to meet you more, and the pegs actually feel lower and more forward. The seat is bigger and wider and more comfortable for mega-mileage rides, but it's more cumbersome when you're trying to get your butt off the edge in the twisties. I'm not sure how much you'd notice all that from just sitting on one, but you can really tell it going down the road. I say this having never even sat on a Gen I Busa or 14, so I'm not sure how they would compare.
This is the one I sit on.Shaved seat and 360 degree pegs.1 bike just ain't enough :laugh:

534698_293514190749259_212508821_n.jpg

When I bought my Busa, the sales guys were going back and forth with me. One guy was saying... You'll be left in the dust behind the 14. The other guy said ahh thats bs... I sat on both before I chose the busa. I wish I could say I road both but I can't. I just went by the feel of sitting on both. I can say, I dont think I chose wrong :thumbsup:

Well, stock we know the ZX beats the piss out of the Busa. I sat on a ZX and it seemes way too sporty compared to my BKing. I felt like I had to lay on the tank and the bars were down by the front axle! I want a faster, quicker BKing comfy bike!

i go back and forth beween these two great bikes.. when i get tired of one i sell and get the other one.. they both fantastic bikes and they have their +s and -s.... here is my recent zx14 that replaced for my 05 busa

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

I kinda like having both :laugh:. Of course there the gen 1 versions of both, but as soon as the 14 is paid off I'm gonna start working on adding both gen 2 versions to the stable :super:

100_1476.jpg

I wasn't really torn between the 14 or the Busa. I did look at the 14...we have 3 guys in my club that ride the 14 and they think it's a better bike...well the rest of us (13) go with the Busa. The ride is more upright, but I didn't feel too much of a difference in performance...I like the way my Busa ride a lot better, not to mention the look of the Busa when it's sitting on its kick stand it's a perfect 10 if you ask me. Now when it comes to horsepower, CC's, and top end speed. The Busa could have all those things had it not been for a Gentleman's agreement between Suzuki and Europe. That agreement is what limited the engine size and horsepower as well as the top speed of the Busa if Suzuki wanted to continue to export the Busa to Europe so Suzuki gave in and that's why only the 99-2001 will run 200mph plus. But you know the after market was going to find a way around that with a few parts that will over ride the top end speed limiter. All I did to my Busa was add a VOODOO 4in1, PWR CMDR, and A TRE and she put the 14 in the rear view mirror. So, The Busa is still the baddest rocket on earth. I made the guys in my club take those BUSA KILLER License plate holder off their bikes and back into the box they came in...and a few others too. I was told my Busa has been 200mph while running with a ZX-14 he said he was doing a little better than 200mph and I was just in front of him and he didn't have anything to say when I put the sticker on my bike...so there you have it.

ZX-14 is on top right now, no question; More ccs, beats the Bus in the 1/4, more torque, etc. But we can out-brake the heck out of the ZX-14..... LOL

Maybe Suz will get busy and build a 1500 cc monster..... Hmmmm... :whistle:

ZX-14 is on top right now, no question; More ccs, beats the Bus in the 1/4, more torque, etc. But we can out-brake the heck out of the ZX-14..... LOL

Say what now? The brakes are far and away the single biggest improvement I noticed when moving from Busa to Ninja.

Maybe on a 100% stock bike but even then it's up to the rider. When talking modded, I think the BUSA is still a better buy for going fast and long term..

The mans right. The busas biggest down fall is the brakes.

I still don't understand why everyone complains about the brakes? I have never had a problem with the BUSA brakes and think they are just fine with lines/pad change. Both could be better but on a stock bike they are fine IMO...

Back