Busa vs. Ducati 999

IndyDave

Registered
Of course we all know we drive a superb bike, but sometimes you can't help looking at a few other rides and drooling a bit (kinda sounds like something else too doesn't it?).

Anyhow, a local bike shop had a Ducati test drive day last weekend and so I signed up and waited 2 hours to drive a $17,500 Ducati 999. I'd seen and read about this bike for what seems a year and always liked how it looked. Well in short, it was a great ride. The power was better than adequate, but not overwhelming. Would be a great bike to use in the twisties and personally, I think it looks freeking awesome. In the end, I wanted one bad. I even considered trading the Busa, that is, until I rode my Busa home after the test ride....

Yesiree, the Busa seemed like a Barcalounger on the 30 minute drive home (thought I made a mistake and rode a Honda ST or FJ home by accident ...ok that's a stretch). However, after about 5 minutes tucked down in the fast lane, I knew my little ol Busa was not going to let me forget who it was or why I bought it. The roll on power was instantly remembered and made the ducat seem moped-like. The riding postion and seat was so much more comfortable. And I appreciated the fact that the Busa did not come with a chestnut roasting fire under the seat. Bam, it was obvious - trading to a 999 didn't make any sense at all. Do the math and you are giving up a lot with the expensive ducat. The moral of this story: gentlemen, sometimes the curves of a new beauty are alluring but just don't make it worth loosing your current ride (I expect a nut crunching landing on my next wheelie as punishment.)

Sounds like a good ride. But I would never give up my baby for some thing new. We have an understanding for each other. Besides the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Pimpbike

Yea like Pinmp said

it may look greener on the other side but as you get closer it just might turn out to be nothing but Astroturf

cool.gif
cool.gif

cool.gif

I just got my 03 Busa last week! I cannot even begin to tell you the research I did before I purchase it! I looked at everything from Harley to Honda to Kawasaki. In a nutshell, I was comparing bike in four categories, power, looks, driveability, and comfort. In every bike that I compared it to, the Busa came out on top in atleast three of the four categories.

Now I have it and all I can say is WOW! It's everything that I expected and more! The mechanical limitations of this bike far exceed my own physical limitations! What a bike! If I ever get bored of this thing, I don't know what I could do.

The 999 is air-cooled isn't it? plus the underseat exhaust, I don't know how I can ever stay on that thing for more than an hour in SoCal summer. Saw a red-tag sale in a local dealership, a red 999 is sold at about 14 grand.

Congrats, taubiota!  And welcome aboard.
There is comfort in knowing there absolutely positively is nothing better on so many levels... sure the 1000 is a TAD faster here and there but it don't haul passengers nicely, tour nicely, etc.  I did what you did too reseach wise and had the same conclusion. My runners up were the gsxr1000, R1 and, oddly, the FJR1300. Ducati? Sure, I like the look of some and the name SOUNDS cool to say out loud, but it just didn't cover the bases I wanted covered... which is all the bases.
smile.gif

Now your 'physical limitations' DO have room to grow.  I just got back from ripping around TRYING to punish it - hitting rev limiter, 1st and 2nd at freeway speeds, hard turning, and it just yawns, smiles and goes "Yer so nice to me, I wuv you!"

Kinda sucks riding with pals now since none can keep up or give me something to chase.  The most fun I have is out on my own.

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
smile.gif

smile.gif

I rode the new Ducati 999. The mid to upper band torque is fairly impressive for a 'non-race' bike. It flicks from left to right like no ones business. The swingam felt solid dispite it light constructed appearance. It is certainly not an 'in city' bike noted by way of the constant nagging of my wrists. It is strikingly awesome in appearance.

Would I spend the money on this new bred of Ducati? Maybe, if I were hooked on the allure of the red bikes from Italy. I might wait to try and find a 998RS or something rare.

But, if I were comparing the same amount of comfort and wanted ten times the bike, the choice wouldn't even take a half a second,,,

It would be the 2003 GSXR1000. Hands down.

I'd rather have a Bus than two 999's. Personally I think it is the worst looking bike on the market. I used to hate Duc's mechanically but loved the look, 996 ect. Now they are ugly and still have a dry clutch and still break down constantly and are still expensive to repair. No thanks.

Yes a Barcalounger compared to my old GSXR, that's why I haven't changed the windscreen or put on Heli-bars or lowered the footpegs.

Taubiota, You will NEVER get bored!

Supernova, where are you at in L.A.? There's only a few of us around here, we should hook up.

I think the answer for me is that I will need to own more than one bike.  I figure I need a ('03  on all) harley or variant, a motocross bike or two, a KTM 650 Duke, GSXR1000, yellow gold wing, Orange County Chopper anything, BMW1150RT, motorized skateboard, a pocketbike, and the 999.  

Now why can't these things be cheaper??!!!

I just got my 03 Busa last week! I cannot even begin to tell you the research I did before I purchase it! I looked at everything from Harley to Honda to Kawasaki. In a nutshell, I was comparing bike in four categories, power, looks, driveability, and comfort. In every bike that I compared it to, the Busa came out on top in atleast three of the four categories.

Now I have it and all I can say is WOW! It's everything that I expected and more! The mechanical limitations of this bike far exceed my own physical limitations! What a bike! If I ever get bored of this thing, I don't know what I could do.
Taubiota,

is that your real name? Or, does it mean something?

Anyways, welcome to the board... And, you should take some rides with us in W VA when you get a chance.

Mephistopheles, supernova1987a, and taubiota...

WELCOME TO THE BOARD...

Is it just me, or is it weird that you guys all posted on the same topic, started in June together, AND, all have exactly 7 posts?

* insert eerie music here *

Surely it is a sign, The omnisient one

Mephistopheles, supernova1987a, and taubiota...

WELCOME TO THE BOARD...

Is it just me, or is it weird that you guys all posted on the same topic, started in June together, AND, all have exactly 7 posts?

* insert eerie music here *

Surely it is a sign, The omnisient one
Oh Creepy....

Hey Meph, Where is Venice Florida? Isn't that near Tampa?

Back