Busa problems@Mrytle Beach

TWISTIT

Registered
Can anyone help me!!!! First of all my starter stop engaging to the flywheel. The starter turns over fine. Next the dang thing kept running hot in the stop and go traffic. I need any suggestion to help fixed these problems. Thanks

Well the heating up in traffic is normal. try a larger alum. fan when you have a chance. lots of guys will get a on/off switch also to turn on in traffic.

You may have a loose starter setup if the gears are not connecting. If you did not hear anything strange. Just check your bolts and make sure they are tight. If they are you may have stripped your starter gears. Let's hope you did not.

My 01 busa in stop n go at myrtle was fine. Moved temp sensor from air box to left air tube. Running engine ice stock fan. Fan hardly had to come on. Temp needle never moved up to half way point. just my .02 cents but compared to last year with these two mods I over heated bad. Was able to make about six passes down the whole strip at high noon until my arse hurteded.

JD

Man i had the same problem with overheating, even with the engine ice. However it only overflowed once but seems like my fan was constantly on or so it seemed.

As for my starter. It worked fine till the engine started getting hot. Then everytime i started it i'ld hear a clank then it would start. By monday morning when i got ready to load it on the trailer all i was hearing was a whine and it wouldn't start..we had to push it onto the trailer.

I was just getting ready to post someting in the tech section asking for advice... Any ideas or does this sound like the starter has gone bad? 2001 7k miles bad starter --whats the problem?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

rock.gif

My 01 busa in stop n go at myrtle was fine.  Moved temp sensor from air box to left air tube.  Running engine ice stock fan.  Fan hardly had to come on.  Temp needle never moved up to half way point.  just my .02 cents but compared to last year with these two mods I over heated bad.  Was able to make about six passes down the whole strip at high noon until my arse hurteded.

JD
No your 2 cents are correct the sensor should be moved also.

Man i had the same problem with overheating, even with the engine ice. However it only overflowed once but seems like my fan was constantly on or so it seemed.

As for my starter. It worked fine till the engine started getting hot. Then everytime i started it i'ld hear a clank then it would start. By monday morning when i got ready to load it on the trailer all i was hearing was a whine and it wouldn't start..we had to push it onto the trailer.

I was just getting ready to post someting in the tech section asking for advice... Any ideas or does this sound like the starter has gone bad? 2001 7k miles bad starter --whats the problem?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???
I do not htink it would be the starter at all. Check for a drain somewhere. If your fan was on heavy you could have drained the battery in the heat. Before you do anything try starting with a jump on the system.

rock.gif

rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???
I do not htink it would be the starter at all.  Check for a drain somewhere.  If your fan was on heavy you could have drained the battery in the heat.  Before you do anything try starting with a jump on the system.
always use caution when jump starting yer battery from another . For instance a car battery . Some motorcycles do not take too kindly to this , you can cause grief for your regulator/rectifier .

rock.gif

Mine ran hot so much it fouled the plugs...Spent most of Sat morning trying to locate a set of plugs hoping that was the problem and it was bike ran fine after that...If go next year I will reroute and not get caught up in the heavy traffic...

ok i stripped the bike down today and checked out the starter. First of all the battery is fine fully charged, but i did but it on the battery tender just to be sure. After that I took the starter off and it worked fine, and there was no damage to the teeth on it or starter idler gear. However when i try to start it it sounds like the gears are not engaging. I'm thinking I might have a bad starter clutch or a faulty starter torque limiter...

I'm open for suggestions .... I'ld hate to take it to a dealer
sad.gif
but it may come to that. Is there any possiblility it could be a fuse or anything that simple. the bike got rained on pretty bad thursday night sitting on the trailer?
rock.gif
?

Thanks

Back