Busa powered Funny car

respivey

Registered
I am haveing problems above 7000 rpm at about 9000 it shuts down. I have a power commander also a K&N air fuel ratio meter.. From 0 to 7500 the ratio is right on, 7500 shows a little rich then at about 9000 it goes lean and stops running until the rpm comes down. I thought i had a tuneing problem but now i am wondering if maybe not enough fuel- pump are pulling a vac. on the tank. Any ideas i need help.

No, stock engine with homemade air box and a header with no pipes. I ran the car a few minutes ago and the stock pump is putting out 43# but i noticed at high RPM the fuel gauge was bounceing several pounds. The pump goes thru a Aeromotive regulator set at 45# I installed it in case i need to go to a aftermarket fuel pump.I may try a fuel line from pump straight to the injectors to see if it makes a difference.

Bypass the regulator and see what happens,you do have the return hooked up dont you?

I will bypass the regulator tomorrow> It may be allowing fuel back to the tank. In fact i have a cut off valve on the return line back to the tank i can close.

PICT0221.jpg

What are you running for fuel,,, it its not mapped for race fuel, the motor will not pull to redline.
How are you tuning it?
Try fatting up all tables above 9000 rpms and log it and see if that helps

93 octane, i am useing a map from the power commander site. The map i was useing was running way to rich and fouling plugs. Since then i installed the air fuel meter to help tune.

(respivey @ May 14 2007,07:50) 93 octane, i am useing a map from the power commander site. The map i was useing was running way to rich and fouling plugs. Since then i installed the air fuel meter to help tune.
Not that it will solve your problem but you would benefit from a custom map and a dyno tune.

That may point out your problem.

Use the PC buttons to course tune it a little richer at higher RPMs. If it still has the problem, I wonder if you have any kinked lines... Was it working right before?

The car will not fit on a bike dyno unless someone around Houston can help me out. Boy would that simplify things. I had it running fairly good at the track but was fouling plugs after a half dozen runs. It would hit the rev limiter without a problem. I just ran the car a few minutes ago, didnt get a chance to bypass the regulator but did block in the return to the tank, no change. It sounded like a misfire on one of the cylinders so back to the auto parts place for new plugs.I may be running around in circles on this project not sure. I think it is leaning out at high RPM, Running just a header and no pipes should make it run very lean, am i on the right track.It is not showing any computer codes.

(respivey @ May 14 2007,11:50) The car will not fit on a bike dyno unless someone around Houston can help me out. Boy would that simplify things. I had it running fairly good at the track but was fouling plugs after a half  dozen runs. It would hit the rev limiter without a problem. I just ran the car a few minutes ago, didnt get a chance to bypass the regulator but did block in the return to the tank, no change. It sounded like a misfire on one of the cylinders so back to the auto parts place for new plugs.I may be running around in circles on this project not sure. I think it is leaning out at high RPM, Running just a header and no pipes should make it  run very lean, am i on the right track.It is not showing any computer codes.
if its fouling plugs, it sounds rich...

I am with NJ, the OEM fuel pressure regulator will not allow you to boost pressure up..hence the need to bypass the regulator. Not sure why you would need more than 45 psi of fuel pressure without boost and stock injectors. Your mapping should be done on a load based dyno. Also you need to head to a shop that has a Dynojet car dyno. Or we have access to a floor sub-mounted unit we will use to tune turbo T-Rex's here in MD. One other problem you may be running too high of pressure for the stock injectors, they can handle but so much. Just some quick thoughts....

There should be someone around Houston Tex. that has a Dyno that my car will fit on. I installed the aftermarket regulator in case i go to a nitrous or turbo motor. I realize the stock pump will not put out over 43# of pressure since it has a built in regulator. Thanks any ideas are appreciated thanks Spivey Racing.

(respivey @ May 15 2007,05:00) There should be someone around Houston Tex. that has a Dyno that my car will fit on. I installed the aftermarket regulator in case i go to a nitrous or turbo motor. I realize the stock pump will not put out over 43# of pressure since it has a built in regulator. Thanks any ideas are appreciated thanks Spivey Racing.
I would also invest in a WideBand Commander. I just put on e on my bike and I don't know what the heck I was doing trying to Land Speed Race without one. Really helped to dial the bike in. You can also download data like a data logger..it will also give you spot on AFR readings with the gauge supplied with the kit. If you need one let me know.

Check to be sure you don't have the cylinder head plug and the airbox plug mixed up or it will run similar to what your saying as the ecu reads the head sensor and won't show a code..These willl be green ended plugs..

You can also raise the fuel pressure on a stock unit to about 50 psi but you must take pump apart and be very careful when doing this mod or you will end up with a junk regulator..This is probably not needed on a stocker type motor...

Back