Busa Performance

Scade

Registered
Iam kinda new to the Busa, but I have a few questions. The story goes I had a R1 last year but some excellent female driver decided that she was in a hurry to get home and eat her McDonald's so she pulled out about 20 feet in front of me and I T-Boned her. Well iam getting my settlement money from it in about a month. Now on to my questions. I know by far the Busa is quick but the thing is Iam wondering does it corner well and can you stunt on it? I dont know anyone that has a Busa they have the super sport bikes. Now they are telling me the busa sucks in the corners and the only stunt you can really do on it is the wheelies. I figured there is no better way to answer these questions then to ask the busa riders themselves. So if anyone can give me some insight on how the busa runs on cornering and such I would appreciate it.

If you scan the gallery pictures, you'll see plenty of brave busa pilots doing stoppies and other stunts. As for me personally, I would never risk such an expensive and wonderfully powerful unit by doing such stunts. Plenty of folks do, though, and while it is not as light and suited for tricks as a little 600, it *can* do them if you have the skill to do so. As for cornering...LOL! That accusation, in my opinion, usually comes from kids who are too SCARED to ride a busa very fast. The fact that they have more thrust in the first 1/4 throttle than they get on their little 600 at wide open tends to scare the hell out of them when it comes time to attack the twisties...but yes, the Busa has a longer wheelbase and is heavier, so you're not going to whip it around a GP track as nimbly as a 600. If you want to do 600 stunts as your #1 reason to ride, stick with a 600. You can't put a square peg in a round hole, unless you beat it with a big enough hammer to bust out the hole. It will work, but not as well. Enough said?

The Busa doesn't corner like a supersport bike.
You can modify and set them up to corner decent.......but then......you can set up a supersport to corner killer.
Fact is... the Busa is fairly heavy and designed to do everything well.....not just a couple things excellent.
It has killer power....wheelies like nothing....corners fairly well.....2-up's well.....is very comfortable.....looks unique.....tours well....killer top end.....and wicked bottom end.........but not a great stunt bike.
Personally I love the thing.
And welcome to the board Scade......Busa owner or not.

Nuff said on that note!!
idea.gif

It doesn't corner as well as some lighter bikes but I've seen riders knee-draggin' and shredding the tires. It flicks side to side just as well as my old 93 GSXR.

Scade,

Did you come from r1-forum.com?
rock.gif
??? Your story sounds familiar.

Now, I just traded my 2000 r1 for a 2003 busa last week. The more I ride it the more I like it. 10 times more comfortable especially with a passenger. It handle the curves suprisingly well. You can drag knees with no problem. Turn in is lighter than expected. Going through a curve leaned over feels much smoother. Not so twitchy, less feedback though. In my opinion the stock bt56's are crap. A new set of tires would really help it out. It is not as flickable as you already know. You will be pissed about it at first but you will get into it after a short while. After you ride with your buddies and still lay a whoopin on them you will feel better.

Wheelies, with the r1 I could pop it up in 2nd gear anytime and ride em a nice long ways. I am having trouble learning them on the bus. Once I figure it out it should be no prob..... I hope, I have ridden out some pretty far 1st gear wheelies, but the 2nd gear ones are giving me the trouble.

Stoppies, I was just learning them on the r1 when I got rid of it. The brakes on the busa are nothing to brag about. Don't get me wrong they stop you just fine but they are no 954rr. I have not yet seriously tried a rolling stoppie on the bus, but it will take significantly more effort. It is not a stunt bike.

Burnouts are easier, even rolling burnouts are cake on this thing.

It accelerates much harder, it goes faster than you can feel.

Better for drag racing, and will still do a road race track day if you want.

It's almost a toss up between the two, they are completely different animals, they really can't be compared cause of their diff nature.

I wish I could have both. You will like it, but be sure that it's what you want to do before you buy one.

Hope that helps my man, gotta run. Later

to be honest i've ran up on some R1's in mildly tight twisties and pushed them until I got tired and passed them... with equal riders I guess that would mean more.. but these dudes just weren't really running all that hard even though they were stickin' their knees out thru even the smallest turns. ..

back to the point.. with 2 advanced skill riders... the R1 should be able to out handle the busa.. but any type of straights coming out of the curves and the busa's power will more than make up for it with the extra "out of the cornor" power.. ..

all depends on the rider I guess... you won't get embarrassed if you know what yer doin though... and if you don't you probably shouldn't have even been on the R1.

to be honest i've ran up on some R1's in mildly tight twisties and pushed them until I got tired and passed them...    with equal riders I guess that would mean more.. but these dudes just weren't really running all that hard even though they were stickin' their knees out thru even the smallest turns. ..

back to the point.. with 2 advanced skill riders... the R1 should be able to out handle the busa.. but any type of straights coming out of the curves and the busa's power will more than make up for it with the extra "out of the cornor" power.. ..

all depends on the rider I guess...  you won't get embarrassed if you know what yer doin though... and if you don't you probably shouldn't have even been on the R1.
Hit the nail on the head ego.
I've run an hour long twisty with three R1's..........They were all excellent riders............managed to keep right with them in the turns but every time we hit a straight stretch, I had to get on the binders hard so I didn't run over them.
No BS.

the lamer that told you the busa cant do stunts needs to watch a few videos, there are a few out there sporting busas doing 70 mph stoppies for a few blocks, hi-chair wheelies, major smokers, endless stand-ups, 3 up wheelies, 3 up stoppies, the busa is just heavier, but it has the power to make up for it, all you need is some sac and a tank of gas. as for cornering goes, I will refer you to videos again, cuz talk is cheap, 3 X-racers on 3 different bikes, 01 busa, 01, gsxr 1000, 01 blade get it on in some hard core twisties, the gixxer wads trying to catch the bus and the honda, well it cant catch the gixxer. squids prefer smaller bikes, cuz they got smaller sacs....
idea.gif

the lamer that told you the busa cant do stunts needs to watch a few videos, there are a few out there sporting busas doing 70 mph stoppies for a few blocks, hi-chair wheelies, major smokers, endless stand-ups, 3 up wheelies, 3 up stoppies, the busa is just heavier, but it has the power to make up for it, all you need is some sac and a tank of gas. as for cornering goes, I will refer you to videos again, cuz talk is cheap, 3 X-racers on 3 different bikes, 01 busa, 01, gsxr 1000, 01 blade get it on in some hard core twisties, the gixxer wads trying to catch the bus and the honda, well it cant catch the gixxer. squids prefer smaller bikes, cuz they got smaller sacs....
idea.gif
Twisted.....dude.......we're just sayin that the Busa is deffinately not the best stuntbike.
Wouldn't you rather be on a 954rr, or an R1, or a gix 750 or 1K.......if yer really into stuntin.

idea.gif
Twisted.....dude.......we're just sayin that the Busa is deffinately not the best stuntbike.
Wouldn't you rather be on a 954rr, or an R1, or a gix 750 or 1K.......if yer really into stuntin.
Actually if it were all about stunting? I am thinking that a Buell Lightning should work well, or maybe a new Z1. Something with grunt, light weight, and little body work...

Hey OOW......they wheelie awesome in 2nd even with my fat ass on it.
Mr Monsterspeedfreak. What technique are you using for 2nd gear wheelies? Clutch, bounce? What speed do you start? Any tips? Can I expect tank slappers on the landing?

I am still getting a feel for bringing it up. I am just curious what others are doing. It might help me get them down faster. I was flirting with the balance point today and I must say it was smooth feeling, not real twitchy. Kind of hard to see over the windscreen.

Scade sorry if I'm stealing your post by asking questions.

Hey OOW......they wheelie awesome in 2nd even with my fat ass on it.
Mr Monsterspeedfreak.  What technique are you using for 2nd gear wheelies?  Clutch, bounce?  What speed do you start?  Any tips?  Can I expect tank slappers on the landing?  

I am still getting a feel for bringing it up.  I am just curious what others are doing.  It might help me get them down faster.  I was flirting with the balance point today and I must say it was smooth feeling, not real twitchy.  Kind of hard to see over the windscreen.

Scade sorry if I'm stealing your post by asking questions.
Bring it up to about 8000 in 2nd.... lean back a bit....close the throttle fast then whack it back open instantly.......oh yeah......watch for sudden skyward movement.......don't let it sit ya on yer ass.
Just got the hang of 1st then 2nd then just hittin 3rd wheelies....but I find it a bit freaky wheelieng at crazy speeds like that.
Mr Busahigg seems to be the wheelie master round here.....might wanna chat with him a bit too.
Have an awesome night dude!!!

Bring it up to about 8000 in 2nd.... lean back a bit....close the throttle fast then whack it back open instantly.......oh yeah......watch for sudden skyward movement.......don't let it sit ya on yer ass.
Just got the hang of 1st then 2nd then just hittin 3rd wheelies....but I find it a bit freaky wheelieng at crazy speeds like that.
Mr Busahigg seems to be the wheelie master round here.....might wanna chat with him a bit too.
Thank you,. I will give it a whirl and let you know how it turns out.

I've never tried going to 3rd. The rev limiter in 2nd gear is plenty fast. Lately though I have been kinda settling out at 80mph for a while.... on the r1 of course, still learning this busa.

Thank you,. I will give it a whirl and let you know how it turns out.

I've never tried going to 3rd.  The rev limiter in 2nd gear is plenty fast.  Lately though I have been kinda settling out at 80mph for a while.... on the r1 of course, still learning this busa.
Please be careful.....too many spills around here lately.

Back