Busa owners living life as "2nd best/fastest"?

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Good morning folks...if you are like me?..you have seen so many threads and read so much hype touting kaws latest and 2nd attempt over the past 6 years at de-throning the mighty busa that...you're ready to puke..and if you're not like me?..then you're probably all excited about the latest challenger/contender and/or drooling with anticipation for Suzi to "answer the call" with an updated '07 ZX-14 Stomping Busa?...then again?..there's also a 3rd catagory of folks out there..those who've been wanting a busa but are now left once again waiting "On The Fence" fearful of spending their hard earned on what may handily be in their minds..."2nd Best/Fastest"....definantly a hard pill to swallow for the new bike buying egocentric amidst us...and this thread is for you...and me...and anyone else who enjoys reading my shared streetwise thoughts, opinions and cyber-babble..yes folks...my beloved busa bretheren and sisteren?...this Buds for you!
laugh.gif
so here goes...

My two most recent, prior bikes of late were an '00 Kaw ZRX1100 and a Yami '01 FZ1...both naked...both very comfortable and both extremely capable "Street Bikes"...while the REX had huge balls down low in the torque dept. from just off idle?..the FZ had an R1 based 5 valver that screamed from mid too redline..and both were extremely well tuned with full exhausts and jet kits....Muzzy meg on the REX and a full yosh race on the FZ...with my yami FZ spinning the dyno drum up to 138 SAE RWHP...not to shabby for a sit-up-and-beg, 1/4 faired, UJM (universal japanese motorcycle)...and despite the fact that these were both "Tuned For Torque" with the FZ being hyped as "An R1 For The Real World"?..and as compared to all out RR's?...the fun factor on both was a solid 11 on the 1-10 scale..I put 22,000 miles on the REX and 27,000 miles on the FZ...but from '99 to and through '03?...inside I secretly desired a busa but whispers in the cyber winds hinted of some very disconcerting and problematic gremlins which initially haunted the mighty busa through it's first few model years...first it was "Fuel Deprivation" issues from the ultra fine fuel filters clogging with additives of U.S. fuel...then it was "CCT Issues" until the 3rd gen. Cam Chain Tensioners came into production and the oh so dreaded liberation of the subframe assys....so?..I stayed away until all was resolved...and it was...by '03...were the busa also saw an ECU upgrade to 32Bit Processing vs the old 16 bit ecu's of prior model year busa's...as I thought...solid...like a bottle of fine wine?..it's aged and it's time to party busa style....so...Pop That Cork Baby!
tounge.gif
and I did.
biggrin.gif

Now..the latest crop of Liter classers out there were already rapidly encroaching upon busa performance territory which did in fact instill a little 2nd guessing on my puchasing decision however....while the 1000cc RR's can cut like a knife and rush to redline?...I conclude that their agressive ergo's and flyweight stability left them wanting (and me hurting) where "all day"..."all around"..seriouse ST'ing was concerned..plus....I simply wasn't willing to forgo the stump pulling low range torque of the mighty busa in trade for a high strung liter classer...and while admitedly being a tad intimidated by the busa's bulks on my first ride?..once I took'er through the first serious curve I was astonished by her grace and willingness to lean in...as I was surprised by the fact that this 500lb ballerina did in fact have some serious legs for a gal of her size and weight..as compared to even the liter classers.
wow.gif
oh granted.. the trackdays may be an entirely different story but in the real world streets?...the busa can definantly hang in the handling dept.
biggrin.gif

Then compare the Mighty Busa to other offerings in it's 1300cc classification...to wit?...the Honda ST1300 and the Yami FJR1300...all three are 1300's but one rises far to the top in both performance and handling...as follows...

Honda's ST1300:
Compresses 10.8:1
Displaces 1,261cc's
Bore/Strokes @ 78X66mms
Dry Weight @ a whopping 624lbs

Yamaha's FJR1300:
Compresses 10.8:1
Displaces 1,298cc's
Bore/Strokes @ 79X66.2mms
Dry Weight @ 582lbs

and both of the above are "Shaft Drive" vs the busa's sportier handling higher performance chain drive (which incidently is also why Kaws hot rod ZZR set itself apart from the above company)

and finally?..

Suzuki Hayabusa:
Compresses 11:1
Displaces 1,299cc's
Bore/Strokes @ 81X63mms
Dry Weight @ 478lbs (over 100lbs less than the ST or FJR)

as where the ST and/or FJR come out of the crate only boasting high 120-low130's rwhp?..the mighty busa breaks out of the box with upwards of 155 ponies to the rear wheel..stock..now all three are 1300 classers but...the busa reigns supreme...in both handling and performance...stroked for torque...tuned for hp...and kicking ST azz all over the nations roadways.
laugh.gif

and this is where I'd hafta question Kaws move with the ZX-14 where they only boosted displacement by 53'ccs over the busa but then crushed the molecules at a whooping 12:1 compression in a big bore stocker...with a warranty?
laugh.gif

Then I look back at all the growing paigns the busa went through as it was developed and refined in the streets over several years..at just 11:1 compression...as compression does exactly two things...

1. Boosts Power Curve Performance and..

2. Wears the living shid out of internal rod and crank bearings.

Is this how Kaw has chosen to finally "Beat The Busa" after two attempts and 6-7 long years?...at the unwary consumers "down-the-road" expense?

Only time will tell...and you can trust in that!
laugh.gif

Hope you enjoyed and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141485885 -->

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I think most of us are at least just a little disappointed in the ZX-14's performance on paper and the dyno.

Id like to have seen some blown out of the water performace figures...not because I want one but because I want a better Hayabusa.

So with the ZX-14s release , now my expectations for the new Busa have gone down.

Reminds me of CPUs, seems they always come out with upgrades in small increments, while ive always though they have secretly had stuff way faster but not wanting to cut themselves out of any money they only release enough to meet the competition (AMD vs Intel). Then there is the more paranoid line of thinking...that the companies have met and agreed to only going so far each release. Of course this is illegal...(name for it escapes me now.)

Its not like the technology is not there...Kawasaki could easily develope a 1500CC Supersport engine and a chasis to handle it.

Then there is this.. what Gadson said about the ZX-14 feeling way different than the Busa in torque off the line. The ZX-14 will likely be an awesome machine, and no doubt it will have a different ride altogether and thats what matters. It may excell and fall behind the Busa in various areas.

Take a look at the debate of the GSX-R1000 vs the Busa...they are close in speed and some people ask the question "Busa or 1000" ....fact is these rides are so different from each other that is absurd to even ask the question.

Though I suppose the 14R and Busa are much closer in ride feel.

This was a bit of a question for me as i bought a black 06 busa around a month and a half ago.But the busa has a very unique look and was perfect for me when i sit on it.I hurt my back a bit doing deadlifts in the gym about a year ago.I rode a friend's 05 cbr600rr and after 15 minutes felt like my back was broken in 3 places.I can ride my busa for upwards of an hour and a half at a time and i feel very comfortable on it.Thats one of the reasons i made my decision.OH and did i say the busa is very unique lookswise from other sportbikes? My 57 yr old mother who doesnt know the difference between a cruiser and a sportbike also told me its different from the others.

I really don't think the marginal performance gains made by the kaw will do sh*t to dethrone the mighty busa.....the kawa 12 was never even close to being a legend and I'll bet the 14 fairs no better.....it's not all about the numbers. They've never had the "cult following" the busa has and never will. Both the 12 and 14 will forever, play second fiddle to the Hayabusa, as the 10 will to the gsxr. They had their time, Kawasaki did, when the old 900 came blazing onto the scene once upon a time.....but it's over now....I own a busa partly because it is and forever will be the legend. If Suzuki quits today, and never makes another busa, 10 years from now, the name will still stand. Disclaimer: I may have an unusual and possibly slightly twisted relationship with my Hayabusa.....  
tounge.gif

wow.gif

wink.gif

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141490944 -->

Jinks you never cease to amaze me with your "internet babble" as you put it. I can honestly say right now that if I was in the market for a new bike I would still buy a Busa. I have nver been a Kawi fan and never will be.

It reminds me of the old adage Ford and Chevy thing. I will probably never own a Ford but oh well. They all have their places in the market but my garage will only house a Busa for me.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
long live the king.

biggrin.gif

BTW, I forgot to mention that I recently sold my ZRX1200 ('02), and I frequently take spins on my old man's FZ1, so I'm very much familiar with the differences you describe. Both incredibly fun machines.

I didn't buy the Hayabusa because it was the fastest. That's just gravy
smile.gif
I've always liked the styling of the Busa. I don't know how people can think its ugly. I saw my first Busa at a dealership in Spring 2001. It was sitting at the far side of the showroom floor. I didn't know what it was, but as soon as I sat on it, I knew that I had to have one. The wife talked me out of it in 2001 and I spent the next 4 years on a 1400 Intruder
sad.gif
I bought the Busa in 05 then told her I was bringing it home
smile.gif
If another bike comes out that I just gotta have, I'll buy it. It doesn't have to be a Busa, but the Busa is a very tough act to follow.

smile.gif

i d love to test ride a zx14
biggrin.gif
i had the rex also  
biggrin.gif
why didnt you get the bandit instead of the yammi?

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141516923 -->

biggrin.gif

i d love to test ride a zx14
biggrin.gif
i had the rex also
biggrin.gif
 why didnt you get the bandit instead of the yammi ?
Well?.....back then the Bandit was having some seriouse oil burning issues...suzi went a tad overboard enlarging the bandits piston oil holes to the point that new bandit owners were burning a QT. every 500 miles or less...oddly enough?...that's where they drew the "We'll Re-work Your Engine Under Warranty If.." line...and with choices like the torque monster of an Eddie Lawson Replica/Replica REX and the screaming 5 valve FZ1 there was no way I'd settle for an antiquated non-water-cooled engine...especially living in the heat of sunny south florida.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

good answer ..and if the new kawi is more comfy. a torque monster down low, a speedfreak up high and has a better clutch feel. wouldnt that be a reason to try it? i say no way is kawi gonna drop the ball this time.theyve been working at it to dam long. besides the zx12 had bearing problems that they better well have taking care of for this bike. hopefully the clutch too!!

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141518330 -->

good answer ..and if the new kawi is more comfy. a torque monster down low, a speedfreak up high and has a better clutch feel. wouldnt that be a reason to try it? i say no way is kawi gonna drop the ball this time.theyve been working at it to dam long. besides the zx12 had bearing problems that they better well have taking care of for this bike. hopefully the clutch too!!
laugh.gif
...afaic?..they already dropped the freaking ball when they installed those goofy azz headlights on that 4 eyed whale.
laugh.gif

But?...true...if the thing performs as expected and anticipated?...more power to'em....but...me and my money ain't serving as their "test & developement fund"...and truthfully?...I think it's gonna be a classic bust case of...

"Too Little Waaaay Too Late"

The big bus is far to well seated, proven and refined to let just a couple mph trap or a tenth in the quarter knock it off it's 7 year long throne....then again?...the miraculous well worded wonders of mag editors never cease to amaze and at times even surprise me so...like I said in the original post?..

"Only Time Will Tell" and...

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

The Kawi is just plain freakin ugly.

No smooth lines like the Busa............Long live the BUSA

Now, an 07 Busa....HMMMMMMMMM

great write up [again] jinkster.
i admit i'll probably open it up once in a blue moon when i get her [any day now, cash in hand]. i dont race other riders, i'm in it for the ride and a little 0-60/80 blast. the reason i chose the busa was cause it fit me right. i did'nt feel like i was on a pocket bike like when i sit on the liter bikes.
a "big ballerina", good one. gives me an idea for a paintjob...the fat lady with the viking helmet. definately'd have to have a turbo for that paintjob..."it's over" cause the fat lady's singin'.
cool.gif

Id like to have seen some blown out of the water performace figures...not because I want one but because I want a better Hayabusa.
You want a better Busa? I, myself, love my Busa. No matter what Kawi trys to do, they keep screwing up in the style department. That thing could do 300mph, but one things for certain....IT IS UGLY. I like the comfort and the looks of my '03. I plan to have it with me for a long time.
Everywhere I go, people always take a second look. The Anniversary color doesn't hurt either. :;). As far as comfort, I flew to NC to pick it up and rode only maybe 150 miles the first day and nearly a 1000 the second. Yes, I was a bit sore, but I couldn't do it on my old Harley. Solid Mount motor with the shakes like there was no tomorrow. With that said, Anyone want to ride from DFW to the bash?

A Busa will always be a Busa. Thirty years from now it will still be a talking point and held in the highest regard. See - Triumph Bonneville. Still wonderful even today. I really enjoyed your write up, Jinkster. Very detailed and much time spent. regards.
cool.gif

Back