Busa Owner from Europe

omc1984

Registered
Hello gentleman,

this is my introduction. A few days ago I've bought a 2001 Hayabusa from a barn.
The bike has only 8000miles on it...

This forum has a lot of suspension pros . So I hope that I could get a little help here and support you with my suspension knowledge. More on that in an other thread.

Hi there mate , a Gen 1 barn find eh , so you saved a Busa , and by the sounds , aim to get it going better than ever . That is the type of noble action we Busa Brethren can respect , welcome to the Org mate and look forward to many future upgrade correspondence with you !!
Toad

Thanks for the nice welcome.
Looking forward to the correspondance!

I am already looking around for mods, maintenance tricks and so on.

My first concern is the front brake. Got to rebuild it. And the other point is the horrible suspension.
An other thread is coming up in a few minutes!

My first concern is the front brake. Got to rebuild it. And the other point is the horrible suspension.
Good place to start bro , I think those are critical areas for any rebuild . :super:

Welcome aboard! We love pictures, so make sure you share some of the bike and the whole process. As for brakes, several of us have switched to radial master cylinders, braided lines and good pads to improve the system. There is a lot of info on the forum on this and what does/doesn’t fit on our bikes due to space on the dash/handlebar area.

you've asked for pictures...here is some of my latest suspension builds:

20161007_1558361beuf.jpg

20170207_152644ztfk7.jpg

20170419_1754227mdh7.jpg

20170507_114124cti0w.jpg

20170507_1145391fvfbx.jpg

20170630_191915rgfy0.jpg

20170715_162721gyey8.jpg

20171007_192830pveyx.jpg

20171007_1937597acaj.jpg

20171007_201217ddcfr.jpg

20171007_201226v6ido.jpg

20171007_201332qdfsz.jpg

20171007_225013qze4f.jpg

Is the 1st pic a set of Ohlins fork bottoms , missing the caliper mount brackets ? I recognize the TTX36 in the last pics , I got 2 of them and the older SU046 . So bro , are you a suspension technician , like professional ?

Is the 1st pic a set of Ohlins fork bottoms , missing the caliper mount brackets ? I recognize the TTX36 in the last pics , I got 2 of them and the older SU046 . So bro , are you a suspension technician , like professional ?

yes...the caliper brackets are seperate.

the last pics are from a ttx shock...right.
I studied engineering and i am focussed on fluid dynamics in my job. in addition to have the ability to work with my hands...this is the result :-)

I agree that suspension and brakes are the place to start.
After that, you may want to consider upgrading to the 02-07 ecu(not a direct swap, there are a few more parts needed to go with it, but all simple). The 02-07 ecu can be flashed, 99/00, and 01 cannot.
Welcome to the org
Looking forward to full bike pictures and rebuild

yeah... I am still inspecting a lot of parts and prepare orders to replace some stuff.
The bike wasn't running in 7 years. So a lot things are making problems. I tried to start the engine, but the battery was collapsing under load. I switched to the lithium battery from my R1 and the bike cranked without a problem. Idle is under 1000rpm. Need to adjust that after changing the fuel.
Based on my informations, the BMC Airfilter, Sparkplugs are 100miles old. I already changed the oil. Coolant has to be changed also. Also I need to change the membranes of the reservoirs for brakes and clutch.
I cleaned the calipers and brake pads.
Serviced the forks including revalve, respring, new bushings and seals and reducing friction. Steering Damper is serviced. Head Bearing Checked and lubricated. brake discs serviced and bearings checked. chain checked und precleaned. linkage cleaned and lubricated.
I also changed the Shock...I prepared a 46mm (145 spring) Shock from WP in december last year.

ToDos:
Changing coolant
changing brake fluid and clutch fluid
changing tires
setting sag and hydraulics
checking geometry
lubricating a lot stuff
deep clean the bike, polish and ceramic coating

Lets see what might appear in the next few days

Looks like you have a lot going on. You just might be able to time it all just for when the weather actually gets nice in Europe. I'm going to start getting mine ready in the next month.

Don't forget the fuel filter, and check the fuel hoses and fuel tank, also the fuel pump.
Stored for 7 years, the fuel system will be suspect.

Don't forget the fuel filter, and check the fuel hoses and fuel tank, also the fuel pump.
Stored for 7 years, the fuel system will be suspect.
This looks like a fun project! I’m with kiwi, injector cleaning might have to go on your “to do” list.

Back