Busa Owner from Europe

Injector Cleaning was not a big deal and however...we have very good gasoline in germany and the previous owner added premium gasoline and fuel stabilizer to the tank. No problem. So the last few days I was busy with the busa. As this is a honest report...not everything was successful you will see:

Ergonomics
I was changing the angle of the Clutch and Brake Lever to make the bike more comfortable and changed the distance to fit my hands. I also cleaned and greased the levers.
The foot pegs are comforable with the rubber on it. Locking in with the knees on the tank is not perfect but ok. After setting the shift lever and the brake pedal ... the bike was comfortable. Not perfect...but really good.
Of Course the footrest assemblies have been cleaned and lubricated

Paint and Brakes
The entire bike was standing in a big garage under a appartement complex....and after all these years there was greasy layer of dust on the bike caused by diesel exhaust gases. Horrible.
So I removed the brake settles and cleaned them with hot water, dish soap and Iron-X till the pistons were moving freely. Some minor cleaning and greasing with ceramic paste was necessary too. I didn't changed the brake pads as these TRW SV-Pads are in good condition and have a lot of material on them. The brake discs have been deglaced and the bobbins have been treated.
Brakes are clean....And I started to wash the bike by using snow foam first. A mixture of 5% IPA, 5% Koch Chemie Green Star and Snow foam (+water) was used. This removed the heavy dirt easily. The chain was treated also...but I think there is no need to dive into Chaincleaning here at this point.
The paint job has a lot of swirls and I need to polish the paint. But this is low priority.

Fluid Change
Rear Brake and Front Brake get a fluid change. Easy Job. I also changed the Coolant incl. flushing and cleaning the reservoir. Clutch fluid has been changed too...but I am not very talented on this job!

Tires
The Busa has Metzeler Z6 Tires on it and not a lot of miles. Althought the tires are old(from 2008)..they are in really good shape. I checked them and tried to balance them and sadly recognized that they are damaged from underinflation and sitting on the side sand. So they are trash :-(

Geometry
The swing arm angle is with 12.15° surprisingly good. Happy with that! Tires have an important role in setting up geometry. A tire with a bit less circumference would bring more Swing arm angle and would be perfect. I am not sure which tire I should buy because in germany we are not allowed to use any tire we want on the street. So the question is difficult and needs further discussions....

Rear Suspension
You probably have recognized that I've bought a 46mm WP Shock (old generation/Style). I rebuild the shock and added a new eibach spring with spring rate at 145N/mm and 8mm spring preload. My big concern was the fact that this shock has not enough adjustability. What I mean? The compression has 5 clicks availabe in total. The rebound has 8 clicks total range.
After I was setting sag (12mm static and 37mm rider sag with 10mm preload on the spring) I checked the hydraulics and I was really surprised. Beside the fact that the adjusters are left threaded the adjustment range is bang on! All the dead spaces on the oem shocks/adjusters is not available on this shock. So you are never far from optimized settings.
Honesty from my side...you remember? The spring is too short and the preload is difficult to change because the lock rings are slightly covered by the swing arm. Damn it. I have to make a preload spacer for the spring soon.

Steering Damper
The damper is horrible...without a doubt. It has a lot of damping which is not necessary and makes driving in lower speeds difficult. I was changing the oil and focussed on oil that has a lot of lubrication. On the other side this oil is much thinner. In conclusion the damper works way better

Front Fork
I mentioned that the front has an entire rebuild. The fork has 12mm of spring preload installed. I set sag 29mm static and 40mm rider with 2 turn of additional preload via adjuster. I also marked bottom at 15mm above the axle housing.
The rebuild of the hydraulics has a mixed result. The rebound shim stack is way to heavy...so by bouncing on the bikes I have to open the rebound adjuster a lot which means orifice damping... not cool... have to set it up again in with a different shim stack.
The check valve on the rebound piston was changed and a stiff checkvalve spring was added to mimic a "mid-valve". This works very well. The compression stack is also too stiff and has way too much low speed. Need to rework this point also.

first test drive
I rode the bike carefully around the town carefully today. The brakes are missing a lot of bike. Maybe the pads have to wear in again. The feel on the lever is good - but the power of the brake is missing.
Front is working fine...but as mentioned before the adjusters are too far out and the damping is more like an orifice. BUT: front and rear have no sign of painful high speed compression. Very nice so far! The ziptie/oring on the front fork leg has a good travel and stopped 15mm above mechanical bottom. Good postion for cruising around the block!
Bike is very comfortable but wind screen is bad!

Some more pictures:

20181114_144534j1jr4.jpg

Bild "20181114_1606302lkjg.jpg" anzeigen.

20181122_2110146wjm8.jpg

20181122_211027xvkdf.jpg

img_20190323_191842_38kkf2.jpg

Last edited:
Injector Cleaning was not a big deal and however...we have very good gasoline in germany and the previous owner added premium gasoline and fuel stabilizer to the tank. No problem. So the last few days I was busy with the busa. As this is a honest report...not everything was successful you will see:

Ergonomics
I was changing the angle of the Clutch and Brake Lever to make the bike more comfortable and changed the distance to fit my hands. I also cleaned and greased the levers.
The foot pegs are comforable with the rubber on it. Locking in with the knees on the tank is not perfect but ok. After setting the shift lever and the brake pedal ... the bike was comfortable. Not perfect...but really good.
Of Course the footrest assemblies have been cleaned and lubricated

Paint and Brakes
The entire bike was standing in a big garage under a appartement complex....and after all these years there was greasy layer of dust on the bike caused by diesel exhaust gases. Horrible.
So I removed the brake settles and cleaned them with hot water, dish soap and Iron-X till the pistons were moving freely. Some minor cleaning and greasing with ceramic paste was necessary too. I didn't changed the brake pads as these TRW SV-Pads are in good condition and have a lot of material on them. The brake discs have been deglaced and the bobbins have been treated.
Brakes are clean....And I started to wash the bike by using snow foam first. A mixture of 5% IPA, 5% Koch Chemie Green Star and Snow foam (+water) was used. This removed the heavy dirt easily. The chain was treated also...but I think there is no need to dive into Chaincleaning here at this point.
The paint job has a lot of swirls and I need to polish the paint. But this is low priority.

Fluid Change
Rear Brake and Front Brake get a fluid change. Easy Job. I also changed the Coolant incl. flushing and cleaning the reservoir. Clutch fluid has been changed too...but I am not very talented on this job!

Tires
The Busa has Metzeler Z6 Tires on it and not a lot of miles. Althought the tires are old(from 2008)..they are in really good shape. I checked them and tried to balance them and sadly recognized that they are damaged from underinflation and sitting on the side sand. So they are trash :-(

Geometry
The swing arm angle is with 12.15° surprisingly good. Happy with that! Tires have an important role in setting up geometry. A tire with a bit less circumference would bring more Swing arm angle and would be perfect. I am not sure which tire I should buy because in germany we are not allowed to use any tire we want on the street. So the question is difficult and needs further discussions....

Rear Suspension
You probably have recognized that I've bought a 46mm WP Shock (old generation/Style). I rebuild the shock and added a new eibach spring with spring rate at 145N/mm and 8mm spring preload. My big concern was the fact that this shock has not enough adjustability. What I mean? The compression has 5 clicks availabe in total. The rebound has 8 clicks total range.
After I was setting sag (12mm static and 37mm rider sag with 10mm preload on the spring) I checked the hydraulics and I was really surprised. Beside the fact that the adjusters are left threaded the adjustment range is bang on! All the dead spaces on the oem shocks/adjusters is not available on this shock. So you are never far from optimized settings.
Honesty from my side...you remember? The spring is too short and the preload is difficult to change because the lock rings are slightly covered by the swing arm. Damn it. I have to make a preload spacer for the spring soon.

Steering Damper
The damper is horrible...without a doubt. It has a lot of damping which is not necessary and makes driving in lower speeds difficult. I was changing the oil and focussed on oil that has a lot of lubrication. On the other side this oil is much thinner. In conclusion the damper works way better

Front Fork
I mentioned that the front has an entire rebuild. The fork has 12mm of spring preload installed. I set sag 29mm static and 40mm rider with 2 turn of additional preload via adjuster. I also marked bottom at 15mm above the axle housing.
The rebuild of the hydraulics has a mixed result. The rebound shim stack is way to heavy...so by bouncing on the bikes I have to open the rebound adjuster a lot which means orifice damping... not cool... have to set it up again in with a different shim stack.
The check valve on the rebound piston was changed and a stiff checkvalve spring was added to mimic a "mid-valve". This works very well. The compression stack is also too stiff and has way too much low speed. Need to rework this point also.

first test drive
I rode the bike carefully around the town carefully today. The brakes are missing a lot of bike. Maybe the pads have to wear in again. The feel on the lever is good - but the power of the brake is missing.
Front is working fine...but as mentioned before the adjusters are too far out and the damping is more like an orifice. BUT: front and rear have no sign of painful high speed compression. Very nice so far! The ziptie/oring on the front fork leg has a good travel and stopped 15mm above mechanical bottom. Good postion for cruising around the block!
Bike is very comfortable but wind screen is bad!

Some more pictures:

View attachment 1596514

Bild "20181114_1606302lkjg.jpg" anzeigen.

View attachment 1596515

View attachment 1596516

View attachment 1596517

Where in germany are you from? I was born and grew up near stuttgart and immigrated 4 years ago to canada!

Sandow

By the way...the first test ride showed me some other things. The closing moment of the clutch is way too abrupt. and I removed too much of the throttle free play and that is really a pain on a bike of this nature

Back