Busa Overheating

Not sure how long you are sitting or how hot it is where you are, but could be air in system. Look up how to burp the radiator and make sure you have good coolant. You can try engine ice, but result are varied. You can also install a manual fan switch and flip it as soon as you are stopped.

If none of those ideas work, try the 2nd fan

Yea I've done all of that obvious definitely need the secondary fan. Trying to get one from this guy john aka gixxerhp that fabs the 03 04 gixxer1k fans that I've been reading about on here.

Bike keeps overheating in traffic. Need secondary fan mod.
Please, please, PLEASE do not forget to check the basics first if you haven't already.
Check the thermostat or even just replace it.
Check the fan thermoswitch operation.
Check the radiator flow rate (blockage?)
Check the waterpump performance.
If any of these are at fault, putting an extra fan on the rad is merely a 'band-aid' fix.
Just sayin'.

Please, please, PLEASE do not forget to check the basics first if you haven't already.
Check the thermostat or even just replace it.
Check the fan thermoswitch operation.
Check the radiator flow rate (blockage?)
Check the waterpump performance.
If any of these are at fault, putting an extra fan on the rad is merely a 'band-aid' fix.
Just sayin'.
Good call,another possibility is sediment build up in the radiator veins restricting flow, I found crap in a batch of coolent which intern would have caused issues. Just a thought

Good call,another possibility is sediment build up in the radiator veins restricting flow, I found crap in a batch of coolent which intern would have caused issues. Just a thought
That is what I meant re the radiator flow rate, I have seen restricted flow caused by sediment build up in the core many times. It's usually the last thing mechanics check with cooling/over heating issues.

Not sure how long you are sitting or how hot it is where you are, but could be air in system. Look up how to burp the radiator and make sure you have good coolant. You can try engine ice, but result are varied. You can also install a manual fan switch and flip it as soon as you are stopped.

If none of those ideas work, try the 2nd fan
Thanks guys for the advice but everything is new fresh rebuild 1397 kit head work full Brocks shorty meg 2 pc 5 and tuned. If I stay out of traffic I'm fine bike runs and performs great secondary fan is just a precaution

It really shouldn't need a secondary fan, better to fix it that stick a plaster on it.
Your first question is a bit vague.
Does the temperature gauge go right up?
Is the stock fan cutting in?
Does the bike seem to be hotter than it should be?
Can you hear any 'crunching, gurgling, bubbling' noises coming from the bike, after it's turned off?
You could have a faulty fan switch (screwed into the rad), faulty temperature sensor (screwed into the cylinder head, inline with cylinder 1).
Need some more details really.

It really shouldn't need a secondary fan, better to fix it that stick a plaster on it.
Your first question is a bit vague.
Does the temperature gauge go right up?
Is the stock fan cutting in?
Does the bike seem to be hotter than it should be?
Can you hear any 'crunching, gurgling, bubbling' noises coming from the bike, after it's turned off?
You could have a faulty fan switch (screwed into the rad), faulty temperature sensor (screwed into the cylinder head, inline with cylinder 1).
Need some more details really.
Temp doesn't go up untill I'm stuck in traffic goes up gradually fan cuts on fan also is on a manual awitch as well no crunching no bubbling or gurgling.

So, why do you think it's getting too hot?
Where is the needle on the gauge, when the fan kicks in?
Why have you wired in a manual switch?
Is the manual switch, overidinding the stock temperature switch?
Suzuki spend millions on developement of they're bikes, I'd imagine that they had catered for extreme weather conditions (within reason).

So, why do you think it's getting too hot?
Where is the needle on the gauge, when the fan kicks in?
Why have you wired in a manual switch?
Is the manual switch, overidinding the stock temperature switch?
Suzuki spend millions on developement of they're bikes, I'd imagine that they had catered for extreme weather conditions (within reason).
Well I suppose they dropped the ball and didnt spend enough on the Gen 1 busa so thats why they put 2 fans on the Gen 2 Busa.

My needle sits just below the half way point, fan cuts in for about 30 seconds then off again and needle never goes over the halfway point.
I'd have to disagree that Suzuki "dropped the ball", with regards to the cooling on the gen 1, yes for the external fuel pump (which was discontinued in 2001) but considering the gen 1 continued to 2007, I'd say that the cooling system was adequate.
By all means fit a secondary fan but it won't sort out your underlying problem, only mask it.

Tell me about whatever mods you have if you don't mind. Before my rebuild I could sit in traffic all day on a blazing hot day bike never ran hot. Now as long as I'm moving normal riding your right needle stays right below the half mark my fan kicks on at about 190/200 somewhere around there but if I see the traffic coming and I get stopped I'll cut it on manually and she will still creep up on me then I just pull over and shut it down before it gets to far.

I'm running a stock 2001 ry, I did the intank fuelpump mod because the outside tank setup imo is a joke.
Apart from that I have no modification, a pair of slip on renegade cans, is all.
With what you have described, I'd be looking at your coolant circulation, thermostat, waterpump.
It is odd that with the fan running the bike still wants to overheat, that points to a problem and not a design fault, especially, if it was fine before your rebuild.

Back