Busa Overheating - Please help

Kvincent24

Registered
I just bought this 01 - it sat for almost a year, now it starts to overheat in stop and go traffic - the red light on the temp gage comes on. Once I start riding again the temp goes to normal. The previous owner tells me the fluid was changed just before he put it up. Also it sat mostly outside for the year. Please help - or where can I get started?:bowdown::rulez:

1) Check the coolant level. Fill if low
2) Replace the thermostat as it may be sticking based on age and sitting.
3) Replace the coolant temp sending unit.

When you are checking the coolant level, make sure there is no air in the system. The previous may not have burped it. Other than that, follow Dennis's advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your fan should kick in half way the temp. gauge, if doesn't check thermostat (replace it). Don't ride if red light is on. I installed overwrite button to my fan. Every time I ride through heavy traffic, I turn my fan on, regardless of thermostat. It works so far.
Check your coolant level
Barb the radiator to make sure there is no air in it
Install overwrite button if you like (optional).

I had the same issues with my '03 for a couple of years...sitting in traffic, it would hit the red line, I'd get nervous, cut it off, pull over...it was very frustrating. I did eventually do a full flush of the system, all new coolant, but still had the same problem.

My husband brought home a pricey temp gauge from work and we let the Busa run for over 30 minutes, watching the gauge go to red, taking temps all over the motor, listening to for the fan to kick in. I was relieved to find that I didn't have any real problems at all and although I don't like seeing the temp gauge get up that high, the motor wasn't overheating and the fan was kicking in and bringing things back down. I let the Busa sit in the heat of summer way longer than I would have at a light and was pleased to see I didn't really have a problem at all. It's hard to hear the fan kicking on when you're all geared up and in traffic, but mine was...I haven't worried about it since. Just an FYI...you should check over and do everything mentioned to be sure your Busa is OK, but if you still find it's doing what mine was doing, let it run and listen for the fan cutting on, etc...

I did upgrade my fan to a Muzzy fan too...good luck!

I had the same issues with my '03 for a couple of years...sitting in traffic, it would hit the red line, I'd get nervous, cut it off, pull over...it was very frustrating. I did eventually do a full flush of the system, all new coolant, but still had the same problem.

My husband brought home a pricey temp gauge from work and we let the Busa run for over 30 minutes, watching the gauge go to red, taking temps all over the motor, listening to for the fan to kick in. I was relieved to find that I didn't have any real problems at all and although I don't like seeing the temp gauge get up that high, the motor wasn't overheating and the fan was kicking in and bringing things back down. I let the Busa sit in the heat of summer way longer than I would have at a light and was pleased to see I didn't really have a problem at all. It's hard to hear the fan kicking on when you're all geared up and in traffic, but mine was...I haven't worried about it since. Just an FYI...you should check over and do everything mentioned to be sure your Busa is OK, but if you still find it's doing what mine was doing, let it run and listen for the fan cutting on, etc...

I did upgrade my fan to a Muzzy fan too...good luck!

False high temp reading is a sign that the temp sending unit is going (gone) bad.

False high temp reading is a sign that the temp sending unit is going (gone) bad.

I've had the Busa for 6 years and don't have any problems...I think I was just initially worried it was overheating when it wasn't...if something's broken, I would have thought it would be completely broken by now...22,000+ miles on Caesar and the only time I see the temp needle get near the red is in heavy traffic in summer, but like I said, after checking the actual temps on the motor and verifying my fan is kicking on, it never goes completely in to the red or overheats...

Just my experience...not saying this is true for everyone...

Thanks I took to the shop this morning, the guy told me he does not think it is the Therom - because they rarely fail, he also told me that overheating is common in "stop and go traffic" He suggested doing a coolant flush first! thanks for your help!!

I really hope you don't have the same problem that I had.....read my post if you feel like it. You may find that you have a simliar issue. search: 07 Busa Internally blown head gasket??? Please Help.

What I would do is first is flush the coolant and make sure there is no air in the system (burp it) and pick up a new radiator cap. If your bike has been in the red than your cap is probably ruined. Ride the bike and see if it overheats again...but don't let the temperature get more than 3/4 of the way up on the temp gauge...it shouldn't even ever get this high if your bike is operating normally even in slow traffic. If the bike still isn't performing normally, unplug the wire harness in the upper left hand corner of your radiator. Take a piece of wire and jump the two connections on the female harness (the one with the wire connected to it leading to the fan). Turn the key to on...your fan should turn on. If it doesn't than you have a problem with your fan. You should hear the fan and be able to feel air blowing out of the opening in the left fairing. Assuming the fan turns on, plug the harness back in and turn the bike on...let it warm up. The fan should turn on halfway up the temperature gauge. If it doesn't than you may have a problem with the thermo switch in the radiator. If its coming on at the correct temp than your thermo switch in the radiator is ok. If everything seems to check out with your cooling system then, unfortunately, you might be looking at something more serious; possibly a cracked head or blown head gasket. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I just hope that after two years you've figured it doesn't really matter or fixed it :laugh:

I've done it many times and will again I'm sure, besides he's a newbie and has an awesome bike, well I guess most of us do :laugh: Anyway you fella's be nice :thumbsup:

I remember getting my butt tore up for posting in the ladies lair. It wasn't about diets or hormones and I had not checked to see the ladies only :laugh:

Back