busa or R1??

chev982

Registered
Those litre bikes are lighter, and everyone seems to say that there faster then the busa or ZX-12. I own a busa havent raced an R1 yet, actually im still breaking it in. But i do have another question, will the busa do 200mph bone stock??
F"n" MOERMAN

There's a limiter that will cut it off at 186mph. a TRE will take care of that and it should top off at just over 200mph

"completely" stock. Ain't happening.

As for why the litre bikes can't beat us, they don't have the torque to get the job done

Chev982,

What year BUSA are we talking about?

The 99-00 models weren't restricted and I have seen several magazines run a 2-way average of 194 MPH! Which means it could have gone 201 one way and 187 the other and came out with the 194-195 figure.

The 01-present BUSA's will require a TRE or something to disable the computer restriction of 300KPH/186MPH!

It all depends on the wind, track distance, rider size and ability to get the best slip stream for aero. A European bike magazine did run a stock BUSA to 200.2 MPH.

Since I am on a different computer and don't have my favorites, does anyone have the link with all the BUSA-vs-ZX12R comparisons?? It has a link to the video on there.

Also what do you mean by faster? TOP SPEED or QUICKER?

It all depends on rider! Same rider on both bikes 99% of the time, the BUSA will win!

Josh
cool.gif

Liter bikes will keep up at first very closely, but as the speeds increase the liters bikes fall further and further behind. The first 0-100mph is going to be won on rider skill more than engine size when between a liter bike and a 1300cc. A good rider can make a lot of difference in the 0-100 mph zone.

Having been in numerous races with a Busa and an R1 with my 12 I can tell you that the R1 will be very hard to beat up until about 130 to 140 mph. The R1 we run with is bone stock and Gsteve's Busa will get left behind slightly and then he will catch him at the top end but not until over 130 mph. Gsteve's is now geared down too so it's not stock anymore. not sure if the gearing made a difference or not. He think it feels quicker but still can't keep up to my 12 ( which is not stock ). Like I've said in the past, make sure you are in the right gear at the right speed against a new R1 or you will quickly see the tailights of the Yammie for quite a while.

Yes, torque is something everyone seems to neglect, as if it doesn't exist.

If you want a quicker bike, you need more torque, not just a lot of power and not just less weight.

As far as top speed, the busa will always win because it has a far superior CdA (aerodynamics). This is why in 2000, despite having more stock power, the ZX12R could not best the busa in the top speed category.

Remember, fluid drags are exponential NOT linear. The difference between 195 and 198 is a LOT more than, say, between 135 and 138.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget the old saying, "there is no replacement for displacement."

It still holds true.
cool.gif

Dont be thinkin you are gonna smoke the hottest 1000s. They will be right there intill wayyy into the speedo. I didnt pass scotts r1 until i was doing like 260

is way into speed 130 for you guys? or is it 165 and up ?cause i can hit 130 on entrance ramp to hwy.i sometimes worry about my busa brothers and what they call way up there speeds.i expect all sport bikes to hang until 130 to 150 then see ya .ive been riding with a zrx1200 with a bikini fairing on it and its a motherphucker up to 150 lmao.

It's all about the Rider folks... The liter bikes are that light and powerful and the Busa has been idle for 5 years... WTF do you expect? If you ride for poop a Busa isn't going to do anything but make your lack of skills all the more apparant... In a straight line, two well matched riders one on a Busa one on a ZX10R, I still gotta give the edge to the Busa based on wheel base and ability to put the power down earlier, but who knows... I suck at drag racing and I have only seen one ZX10 on the road... Curiously neither one of us could give a poop about which was faster... Maybe there is a lesson there?
rock.gif
Yeah.... STFU and ride....
laugh.gif

Captain has the facts. Torque (turning force) begets accelleration. Not HP. And if you want top speed you not only need high HP to "hold" it there, you need aerodynamics which the liter bikes do not have compared to the Busa and probably never will as top speed is not their design objective.

And why does the Busa have more torque? It has a larger displacement engine and a longer stroke (a big factor in creating torque), hence the phrase "no replacement for displacement".

Short stroke = high HP and high RPM limit
Long stroke = high torque lower RPM limit
Large bore and long stroke = high torque and HP

Face it guys, liter bikes cannot make up for the fact that they are missing some 299cc and if they tried to increase the strocke the HP numbers would drop as would the red-line.

Liter bikes rule but they cannot create the torque that a Busa/ZX12R/large-cc-whathaveyou can.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088598505 -->

there's a physics line drawn somewhere that includes:
light weight of bike allowing rear tire to SPIN instead of stick,
length of wheelbase keeping front tire down or not.

I believe the ONLY way the busa will really be beat [and I mean beat at ALL levels] is by a machine larger, heavier and at least as areodynamic. Just my opinion.

awesome explaination!! eakbusa thanks!!
one more question....what is tre?? will it void my warranty?? is there a post here that explains that somehwhere?

You are going to get a lot of joke responses if you ask that question so just ignore them. It is a long standing joke here.

A TRE is a timing retard eliminator and it is basically a resister that tricks your bike's control computer to think that you are always in say 5th gear. This removes the 1st and 2nd gear timing retard and the top speed limiter at the same time. The timing retard was supossedly to lower the torque in the lower gears (to prevent wheelies - ha like that works).

You will get all kinds of crap about this topic so be ready. I think a TRE is a waste of time and money and has no noticeable effect whatsoever (other than allowing +186 mph). Others swear it makes a difference in rideability in lower gears. Go figure.

Can someone comment on which gear is appropriate for a given range of speeds....
especially when racing? As you pull into the 120-140 range...should you be in 4th? 5th? 6th? Or is it totally by feel?

EAK ... good words. i just had a custom map mad for my bike and now the bike rides as smooth without the tre as with it. before the map, i could tell a difference in the lower gears. now the only thing the tre does is kill the top speed.
now the question is how many average people are really gonna see above 186 anyway.
tuner had the bike on the dyno and did a run without tre, limiter kicked in. then did a run without and no limiter and showed top speed of 192 at redline.

will i ever see it most likely not .. 175 indicated is haulin axx... to me
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back