Busa or gn turbo? - Read my post before voting

• Get the Busa

Votes: 60 100.0%
  • Get the Grand National.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering why someone would sell a car worth $10K for $6K, especially if it's a collector's item. But good luck on whatever you chose--not a bad position to be in! laugh.gif

I'm wondering why someone would sell a car worth $10K for $6K, especially if it's a collector's item. But good luck on whatever you chose--not a bad position to be in!   laugh.gif
I was wondering the same. Gonna have a mechanic look it over before purchase, If I can get the loan.

I'm wondering why someone would sell a car worth $10K for $6K, especially if it's a collector's item. But good luck on whatever you chose--not a bad position to be in!   laugh.gif
+1
Make sure it is a true GN, before buying.
Lots of clones out there.
I looked at the engine... It would probably be harder and more expensive to swap a Turbo GN engine into a Regal than to just buy a GN. I think he's selling it cheap because no-one around here knows what a GN is... They keep thinking it's a Monte Carlo or regular Regal. He said he's gotten TONS of cals that turned into something along those lines.

If you have always wanted a GN, and a confirmed verification of it's value indicates that it is indeed a "good deal", and you can get a reasonable loan for it, and the insurance you get for it will provide "replacement value" for the vehicle ($10k vs 1K) then get the car.  When your interest in the car begins to wain, or, it starts to become a money pit, then find someone to take it off of your hands and get an 2007 'Busa.

I have a friend that has an '87 GNX with zero miles on it (he's the original owner).  He might be willing to sell it, but I think he would want a little more than $6K for it.  tounge.gif
drooling3.gif GNX!!! drooling3.gif
1987 Production:
Grand Nationals: 20,193 GNX: 547
Engines:
Grand National: 3.8L V6 Turbo 245 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 355 ft-lb @ 2000 rpm.
GNX: 3.8L V6 Turbo 276 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 360 ft-lb @ 3000 rpm.
Performance:
Grand National: 1/4 mile in 14.23 seconds @ 98 mph.
GNX: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.43 seconds @ 103 mph.

My buddy paid cash for it in 1987. Bought it in MA and trailered it home to CT. Stuck it in his garage. Still there.

drooling3.gif

Guys,
Check NADA that is the true price guide.
It lists the value at 3800 to 5800 retail.( The price off a car lot)
Now do mileage adjustments.
I punched in 80 K and got a 725 add
A 1987 Buick is still a 1987 Buick ........
The Hayabusa is timeless.
NADA isn't worth sh!T when it comes to rare classics.

Please point me to a beat to hell GN for less than $6K.

The GN is a rare piece of history. The Busa is a standard mass produced vehicle.

Thanks for the tips guys... I'm on a GN forum now trying to get help as to what to look for.

Guys,
Check Kelley Blue Book. Under Regal (I think limited, not sure) 3.8 turbo. $10,000. Also, check ebay motors. One without engine or trans already has a bid of $2000+.
Look again, with 15 bids it's already past $4,500.00. smile.gif

Guys,
Check Kelley Blue Book. Under Regal (I think limited, not sure) 3.8 turbo. $10,000. Also, check ebay motors. One without engine or trans already has a bid of $2000+.
DAYUMM!!!

Guys,
DAYUMM!!!
I guess people forgot to check the NADA reports before bidding on these: smile.gif

link1

link2

smile.gif

As much as Im a Busa ridin'/lovin' kinda guy, I would jump all over a clean GN all day long. About 7 years ago they were easily found and around 5-7k. Now clean #matching GN's go as high as 25k. They are timeless machines.

hmm...tough call. It depends on the shape of the GN and how much money you're gonna hafta put into it to make it really worth a damn. I forgot who said it up there, but I agree that the banks may be a little hesitant to put out a loan on a car that's older.

I guess it's all what you want. For me I've been through the Car thing, Truck thing, Hi-End Home Audio thing, etc...lol

Nothing, and I repeat nothing has ever moved my soul like my Busa. Now, If I was a collector, and was purchasing for collector value, a GN in minty condition for 6K would be a must purchase. However something tells me the 6K GN aint the car thats going to be the Barrett Jackson Dream Car. No offense, but something is flawed...either the miles are high, been in a wreck and possible structural damage, turbos have been beat and almost dead, etc... So many things to consider and have to be looked at, and considered when buying a speciality car for collector value...1 guy to inspect the GN, is only going to give you limited info, unless he is the premiere GN collector, shower, reseller, mechanic, etc...

Ok, so Im only going by what you said...a GN for possible collectors status...sorry, but I don't think this is going to be it. Now if you want to have fun with it, drive it until it breaks the bank for ya fixing it, than by all means...get the car! Remember old camaros, cudas, stangs, ferrari, porsche, all can be collectors for a given year, but as an example I can get you a 69 camaro for 8K or 70K...both will look nice, both will drive, but completely different cars.

A Busa a collector...not right now...but you can have a ton of fun for very little money. If you keep her stock, it will be reliable as a person can expect a motorcycle to be...or better. The GN sound great, but are you a collector, are you willing to sink in 20 to 50K into a car to get her to be something special, than are you going to want to drive the thing all the time, in the rain, etc...?

Ben, I've been reading your posts for almost a year now. You seem like a heck of a nice guy, so Im going to give you some nice guy advice. Get the Busa...save yourself a bunch of headache, and cash, unless the GN is your Dream car, and your willing to make several years of sacrafice for her, don't put yourself through it at this point. When you get more established in life, and have the financial means, than go for it...and send me pics, because I love a cherry GN...but for now my friend, my most humble advice is to pass on the GN, and have a bunch of fun with your friends on the Busa. Stay safe, and always dream, but dont go broke, insane, and heart broken doing it.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147149076 -->

If it is in good shape the Gn would be fun to have plus you still have a bike now. But I would not go into this thinking of buying the GN for resale value. Buy it if you really want it. The car will probably cost more then the busa in maint. and repair but it could also be a dependable ride if taken care of for days you can't ride your bike.

Be like me and get both! thumbs-up.gif
But seriously I love my new busa... but the turbo GN is just awsome and allways has been.. I'd go with the GN!!

<!--EDIT|BAD06BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147155975 -->

MyGn_007.jpg

I personally don't understand why anyone liked those cars... Boxy... Looks like a family car... Not horribly fast (I mean come on... 14 seconds???) I thnk they are just flat out ugly. Give me a firehawk or ws6 any day. But even then, I found out that no matter how much money I wanted to drop into a car (within my modest budgetary means), there was no way I was going to get the raw sense of speed from a car that I was going to get from my bikes... Just wasn't going to happen. So I sold the WS6... the stang... and now I drive an '05 Grand Am GT. If I wanna go fast I hop on the busa. biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back