Busa not starting and need help

Troymx576

Registered
Thanks for the help in advance.

Quick back story. 2000 Busa with 28K on it. I got it for the engine as I was going to put that in an Austin Mini I have. I have since done a bunch of things different and now will keep the busa as is. I did take it all apart to get the engine out and see about fitment. I have put it all back together now. I had the engine harness out, etc. It worked fine when it came out so I think I am missing something small.

I got a new battery as that was dead after 5 years of sitting.
I took a bunch of time to try to make sure the harness was in correctly with all the connectors connected, but you never know.

It turns over with the battery. I was thinking it was coil wires wrong, but they seem right and are labeled left to right 1-2-3-4. I pulled a coil and it does show spark.

It has good compression still as before.

So I have to think no fuel. I have fuel in. I hear the fuel pump running and it gurgled when I first started it purging the air so I am thinking that is working.

I did change the oil and when upright I can see the oil about halfway on the level window. Would not enough oil cause it to not run?

I did drop some gas in the TB with the air cleaner off and it did pop, but not run at all. I only did some fuel.

I jumped the connector to pull codes and no codes, but maybe it is because it is not running?

I checked the fuses and they seem good.

Thoughts on what could it be?

Thanks for the help.
Troy

You might need to pull the injectors and make sure they're working. 5 years sitting is a long time.

hmm. I can try that as they might have gotten gummed up. I would think at least one or two would be working though.

Is there anything that would cause the ecu to not fire the injectors? Like a safety protocol? Such as oil pressure, or sensor or anything like that?

Anybody with other thoughts before I pull the injectors and have them all cleaned. I do not know another way to test them and this seems a bit extreme to just do before other things that it could be.

The bike has safety interlocks, kickstand, clutch, neutral, killswitch, tipover :dunno:

does the bike turn over and just not fire? or not turn over at all - as Do3 stated - there are several "safety" mechanisms in place that will prevent the bike from starting.

It sounds to me like a fuel issue. If you have compression, and you have spark... that leaves the only option to be fuel. 5 years is a long time, especially if the bike wasn't set up properly for storage.

Did you check to see if the bike ran... BEFORE you pulled the engine?
(This is a crazy question, but I have seen it before)... Did you drain the tank before adding addional fuel? (Or are you using the same fuel that was in the tank? :poke:)

Could have a gummed up fuel rail, gummed up injectors, etc.

The failsafes the above gentleman mentioned would typically only affect the "ignition sequence" of the bike... Which sounds like it is not your issue if you are getting spark.

Do your plugs look wet after trying to turn it over a few times? If not, you are not getting fuel into the cylinders.

The bike has safety interlocks, kickstand, clutch, neutral, killswitch, tipover :dunno:

This is what I was thinking also. It does turn over. I did put up the kickstand to just see if that was it, but did not change anything. My understanding is you can not put it in gear when it is down and will just stall if running. The interlocks? not sure what that is?
Clutch- I have to pull it all the way in to get it turn over.
Killswitch both ways I tried it to just see and same thing.
Tipover switch ? Where is that as I do not remember seeing that?

does the bike turn over and just not fire? or not turn over at all - as Do3 stated - there are several "safety" mechanisms in place that will prevent the bike from starting.

It does turn over and crank fine.

It sounds to me like a fuel issue. If you have compression, and you have spark... that leaves the only option to be fuel. 5 years is a long time, especially if the bike wasn't set up properly for storage.

Did you check to see if the bike ran... BEFORE you pulled the engine?
(This is a crazy question, but I have seen it before)... Did you drain the tank before adding addional fuel? (Or are you using the same fuel that was in the tank? :poke:)

Could have a gummed up fuel rail, gummed up injectors, etc.

The failsafes the above gentleman mentioned would typically only affect the "ignition sequence" of the bike... Which sounds like it is not your issue if you are getting spark.

Do your plugs look wet after trying to turn it over a few times? If not, you are not getting fuel into the cylinders.

It did run just fine when I took it apart.

I did drain the tank when I took it apart and new fuel now. So no fuel in there for 5 years. I am thinking the injectors would have still had fuel in them when it was taken apart.

I will take it apart again tomorrow and check the plugs to see if fuel is getting to them. Then I can pull an injector and see how it looks. It is not like I can look inside it though. I might try to soak them in something or use some type of solvent on or in them to work. I might put 12v across them to see if they open or close.

Thanks for the help all.
Troy

Update. It wound up being the fuel pump. Swapped out and runs perfect. I forgot how amazing and fast it was. Good times.
Thanks all.

1999/2000 Fuel pump is a problem, you can hear it priming when it is working.

Did you put another stock fuel pump or the upgraded one?

BB

If the bike is firing, I would probably rule out a safety. I would bet it is something with the fuel system. Check out this link: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-problems/146658-fuel-pump-cleaning-06-a.html

There are a lot of things in the fuel system that could be affecting it. That guy was generous enough to document how he fixed his fuel issue. His was letting enough fuel through to kind of start, but it could have been worse enough to not let it start.

Back