Busa modded auction bike - nitrous, extended swingarm, brocks exhaust

renegadexx

Registered
Hey guys i am headed to an auction this weekend where the general attendance are farmers and older businessmen so i think i have a decent chance to pick up a 2008 busa on the cheap. Only problem is i know nothing about it because its an auction bike. Apparently it has a new battery and fluids with 8000 miles. That is all the auction company is saying. I'm not new to bikes or to speed. I have a CBR1100XX super blackbird and my aunt drag races a harley under 6 seconds in the 8th so i would like to shoot out with her. What is a "safe" price point to get ahold of this bike at? I am pretty new to nitrous- is there a way to tell if it is a wet or dry shot by looking right off the bottle? It looks like the exhaust is a full exhaust and i know brocks isnt cheap so i'm guessing somebody put some $$ in to this bike. I think i would like to run the bike rather than resell it. I have the cash for it but not much to spare so my biggest concern is paying too much for a bike that could have any number of things wrong with it or need new parts or god forbid $hit the bed the day after i get it. The auction very rarely gets bikes so i have no idea where it came from. IF i do have to sell it or go original swingarm/chain&sprockets (i'm guessing its geared) what is a safe point to be at that i have a very low chance to lose money? 5 grand? 6 or more? A 2008 busa with the same miles and full exhaust is for sale locally for 7800. I'll defer to the experts and anything you guys see on it that tells a story, feel free to point it out. Thanks a lot.

DSCN2640.jpg

DSCN2642.jpg

You can pick up Gen 2 (08-10) models around here for $7500 pretty modified....So I would definitely not go over that price...now that its been modified, you have no info on who did what, the NOS can be scary add on since you cant guess if it was set up right or how its been ran...So its kind of a gamble...I would look at the engine really closely, check the seals, check the exhaust tip for coloration, check the pipes near the header for color changes, check the chain and sprocket condition to see what kind of wear they show, see if they will let you turn the bike on, fire it up, shift into gear see how it all feels, feel how the clutch and brakes feel at the levers etc...if you can get the bike between $5500-$7500 I think you would be sitting good as long as the bike is mechanically sound.

Thanks Salty. I won't be able to fire the bike up but i know they don't do much work there; changing fluids would be beyond the auction company so it was at least driveable last month when they had it done. So i won't have the opportunity to shift through gears or feel the clutch let out, but i will take a look at the chain and sprockets and look the exhaust all over. Are engine seals something i can inspect at all without being able to tear in to the bike?

I'd pass..... If I couldn't take it for a test ride and give it a thorough once over I wouldn't bid on it.

You can look around for the solenoids for the nos.a dry should have 1 or two solenoids for nos lines one to the intake somewhere close to the t body and doing it right one to a fuel pressure regulator.

A wet has 2 one for fuel with an in line pump and one for nos.

Thanks man i'll be sure to look it over. I actually called the auction up and apparently the bike is a drug seizure... That doesnt really bother me except if someone decides they really want their bike back :nervous:

Unless you get it for a steal I would pass. If you have one for sale locally that you ca ride and do a good look over is go that route. I wouldn't pay more the $5500 not knowing if it would even run or shift. If the tranny is done it will cost you some change. If the nos wasn't installed and tuned correctly you could have some internal engine damage. Too much to guess about.

Thanks man i'll be sure to look it over. I actually called the auction up and apparently the bike is a drug seizure... That doesnt really bother me except if someone decides they really want their bike back :nervous:

Do you really want to be seen riding around on a bike that has that type of affiliation with it?? The phrase "small world" comes 2 mind and I wouldn't want 2 run in2 the previous owner or friends of his....:hide:

Just saying :whistle:

I hear what you are saying but i'm not too worried about it. We'll see, i think i will be all in at the low $5,XXX. If that takes the bike home; great. If not that's okay too. Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't go over 5 not knowing anything about the NOS or engine mods. Check the seals through the fairings for leaks and obvious fluid residue. best of luck!

--D

Thanks a lot. Tax is 5.5% so if I go up to 5200 I will be in it for 5500. That's my plan. I called the nearest Suzuki dealership to run the VIN and they were the ones that put a battery in it last month but they didn't touch the fluids. That scares me a little because I know the auction house guys aren't bike guys. The guy at the dealership knew all about the bike though, says it runs and shifts so I am guessing someone from there will show up to bid on it. Man I'm excited to put some cash down on a busa. I just hope his pockets aren't deeper than mine!

Hey guys I didn't get the bike. It went for $7000. Tax puts that at $7400 without ever riding the bike... crazy. There were a couple blemishes, nothing serious though. Nitrous wasn't hooked up, missing all the lines. Nuts were all wired for racing though so somebody put it through the paces. Oh well, thanks for the advice.

I kinda felt like it was for show. I don't know anyone that would put nos on a stretched bike before lowering it down. Went for alot for an auction.

Yeah for an auction I would think it would have sold for a bit less too. We've had members selling their bikes here that were in great shape for just a little more here on the org.

Just being honest...
All I see is a way to long bolt on extension. And some slip ons...
Not saying it's still might not be a good deal if the price is right.
You need to at least hear it run. And it needs to go at a good price.
Mods are what the last guy did. They usually don't add to the price unless it's a turbo or something worth having.
I don't see anything here to go out of my way to have...

Back