busa maintenence schedule

mmawonder

Registered
Well I picked up an 03 grey busa with 14k miles on it last week. Its been dropped on the right side, damaging the single muzzy pipe, side cowling bar ends, mirror and front cowlings. Mostly scratches, nothing too bad. I removed the plastics and checked under for cracks, non there. Frame, forks etc are in good condition, I had the dealer check them, tires are practically new. Problem is, I dont think this bike has been loved much... I dont think it went thru any major service of its 5 year life, so here is what I am doing to refreshen the bike.

Oil and filter change
Replace air filter (stock)
Flush coolant system with engine ice
New DID x ring 530 chain
new front and rear sprockets (stock)
Idle adjustment
Throttle body syncronazation
New spark plugs (stock)
Flush brake fluid with motul 5.1
braided lines

I can do most of this maintenence myself, I will have the dealer do the throttle bodies though. I cant decide if I should flush out the clutch fluid and replace that with motul 5.1 brake fluid and if I shoudl get the valve's adjusted. Deaelr says usually they are in pretty good condition until 20,000 miles and even by then they are only off a little and its pretty costly to do em.

Am I missing anything?

Oh and I am setting this bike for as a commuter/cruiser so i have corbin passenger seat with back rest (gf), heli bars, touring windshield and a magnetic tankbag in the works. I had many fast bikes in the past so top end or acceleration or shaving 2 ounces of weight are not my priorites. I am trying to go mostly with stock stuff, since exception of the chain, non of the aftermaket parts i put on my bikes lasted as long as the stock stuff.

I'd do the valves, if nothing else, just for the peace of mind. You said yourself it's not had a lot of TLC. You can't tell how many times it's been bounced off the rev limiter.

cheers
ken

I would go ahead and get that clutch fluid out while you are thinking of it. The push rod from the slave has a tendency to allow contaminants into the fluids somehow. There is a kit out there that shields that. (can't remember how makes it) but that will still be pretty dirty at 14k.

Upgrade the brake pads, too.
thumb_up.gif

Make sure you use ONLY distilled water in your coolant system so as to not rust components.

Nice find, btw.
thumb_up.gif
Sounds like you are on the right track!

thumb_up.gif

Valves should be fine. No need to spend the money there if you don't need to throw it away at something that doesn't particularly need it.

Nofearspear is right,,, Try 'Castrol LMA'. It is dot4 and is 'Low Moisture Activity'. Good stuff.

Yeah considering I got it for $3800 makes it a pretty good buy for me.
Why no motul 5.1 and dot 4, I mean basically dot 3 dot 4 and dot 5.1 they are all the same component, only upgraded a little. I know dot 5 is something else, but 5.1 I had it in my 05 gsxr 100 track bike with braided lines and they worked superb.

What would u guys recommend as far as brake pads. I had sintered VesrahSRJL's on the track bike but for street they wont get hot enough to stop the bike and eat away my rotors and squik all the time. It was fine before since flotaing rotors of mine made as much noise as the pads but for the streets i need good stopping power, quick heat up, durability and quietness.

Engine ice is similar to distilled water + waterwetter mix so Ill be ok on the coolant area.

U know the clutch seems to have very litle play between grab and no-grab, so u might be right about the clutch plates. I have never done it, is it hard? Maybe I should let the dealer do the job, since I work there, I only pay cost on parts and labor, which is %30 off on parts and about $20 an hour for labor.

As far as ebc pads, I have never used them, I heard a lot of complaints about them at other forums, but they were mostly race applications, they may be good for street use. I know they dont cost much.

probably cheaper just to get a new bike.... just kidding looking good so far... just got a corbin with backrest myself...touring here i come with the gf in tow

I should take some pics and post it here, so u guys can see before (crashed, not loved street bike) after (pretty, well taken care of speed tourer) transformation.... I am also plannig on taking it to a track day with the touring stuff on it, I want to see the faces of the liter bike riders when pass them on the inside with the passenger backrest sticking out on the back bwahahaha
biggrin.gif

Good Job. I also rescued a bike that someone abused, and O3 with 6k on it.  I had to change the oil 3 times before it looked clean.  I did all the same stuff you did, though.  

You might want to adjust the suspension, check the cush drive (that may be the problem you felt with the clutch), and retorque all wheel and suspension bolts.  You never know what the moron who had the bike before you did.

I think you have already considered what should be done maintenance wise and have some good ideas of what to change/replace.
You should be able to tell if the valves need attention, but why get into the expense and headache if you really don't need to. You had a track bike before so you know how to run an engine hard so I am sure you can tell if the valves need work. Stop "over" working on it and ride.

Yeah I get a little obssed about bring things to race ready , or factory specs. I am riding it every day about 40 miles rain or shine and I love it.

As far as the oil, first oil /filter change didint change the color of the oil by much. I flushed it again and its fine now, but it will get dirty pretty soon i am sure. I discovered that stock oil filters do a pretty good job holding on the contaminents but cant keep the color of oil clear. Scott's oil filter on the other hand, eventhuogh it costs about $90 it will keep the oil fresh a lot longer than stock oil filters, and its reusable. **** i feel like a salesman now
smile.gif
. I am going to leave the valves alone for now.

Ps; Oh I have this other question, I never experienced this before so maybe you guys can help, while the bike is idling in neutral with the clutch completly out, I hear and feel this rattle coming off the engine/transmission once every 4 seconds or so. It feels like a bicyle gear engaging and then popping off. When its in gear , or not idling, or when I have the clutch in , the noise and rattle goes away. Is this normal, something is worn off? The bike does not pop out of any gear and engages pretty smoothly between gears, so tranny seems ok to me.

Back