Busa Ignition Barrel Overhaul.

Kiwi Rider

Registered
It's been a rainy old Saturday here in Godzone so I stayed home and messed with my bike.
Fitted my rear wheel with a freshly fitted and balanced rear tyre, Michelin Pilot Power 3 2CT,
190/55 x 17.
Also looked at my ignition barrel, it's always been messed up since I got the bike 3 and a half years ago.
The steering lock was difficult to engage, and the little spring loaded door on the opening slot for the key was jammed opened, allowing the weather to get in.
I got some magic fluid from a locksmith I know, and thought I'd give it a go. He swears by it!
IMG_2442.JPG

Wow, that image came out huge!! Must learn how to resize these images.
Anyway, this is what the lock looks like AFTER I fixed it, it was all bent inwards and that was jamming the door and keeping it from closing. It's lubed and working really well now.
IMG_2441.JPG

Anyone else have this problem?
Must be a high mileage bike issue me thinks lol.

My 06 has had a sticky key lock since day one. It’s still hard to fully insert the key if I don’t catch it just right. Doesn’t matter if it’s locked or just off. Once the key is in it works fine. Have tried WD40 and oil but nothing has ever really helped. I just wiggle the key being mindful that I could bend it, until it slips into place.

Mine started pissing me around recently, key would go in ok but not always turning:mad: (my spare brand new key was a bit better) i to went to a local locksmith and he had a quick squizz at my key and said its a bit worn, he asked if id sprayed anything down there like WD40 or CRC i said nope he said good on ya cause that would gunk it up more. He produces a can of Inox and squirts it in , works the key in the ignition and presto a nice smooth free action.
I bought a new can right there and then , ive have done my seat lock and my car ignition and a couple of mates bikes as well - all improved like new again :)
My bikes an 09 with 55000kms.

Kiwi - i got my can from Ross Galt in Hornby.

My 06 has had a sticky key lock since day one. It’s still hard to fully insert the key if I don’t catch it just right. Doesn’t matter if it’s locked or just off. Once the key is in it works fine. Have tried WD40 and oil but nothing has ever really helped. I just wiggle the key being mindful that I could bend it, until it slips into place.
Not a good idea to use oil or WD40, lock mechanisms should really be dry, using graphite powder, or if no graphite powder is actually in the barrel, use a lube like the Inox as pictured. I've only ever heard positive reports on the Inox.

Mine started pissing me around recently, key would go in ok but not always turning:mad: (my spare brand new key was a bit better) i to went to a local locksmith and he had a quick squizz at my key and said its a bit worn, he asked if id sprayed anything down there like WD40 or CRC i said nope he said good on ya cause that would gunk it up more. He produces a can of Inox and squirts it in , works the key in the ignition and presto a nice smooth free action.
I bought a new can right there and then , ive have done my seat lock and my car ignition and a couple of mates bikes as well - all improved like new again :)
My bikes an 09 with 55000kms.

Kiwi - i got my can from Ross Galt in Hornby.
Yeah man, I applied it to all my vehicles locks and ignition barrels, it really works so well eh.
I was stoked to get the little spring loaded flap working on my Busa barrel though . . after all the years it was jammed open, I reall held no hope for it to work again. But it did!

Back