busa down

micahbs

Registered
well it happened. I'm redoing my bathroom and my father has been helping me, i had picked him up today so he didn't have a ride, got done working for the day and was going to take him home and he asked if he could take my bike. now my father has been riding all his life and has always let me use his bikes ( along with snowmobiles, tav, jet ski etc) so i of corse said yes. got a call from him a few hours later asking if he could ride it to town and grab a bite with a few of his friends that have bikes, and again i said yeah no problem. and a few hours later i get another call, this time from one of his friends. hit a little sand in a turn, probably would have been able to straighten it up if we had breakdown lanes here in the country. any way went down at about 20mph, in sand and gravel, he's ok ( shoulder is tore up, and was somewhat disoriented ) got him to the ER and he checked out ok. to the bike. left side plastic is scratched and scuffed all over ( there goes that 3k paint job) frame slider gone. mirror gone, aside from that seems to be ok. drives straight, shifts fine, all lights pegs so on seem fine. all and all happy my dad is ok, but totally bummed about my bike. times are tuff right now wife lost her job and have a new baby, so fixing the bike right now is out of the question, its drivable as is but looks like trash. anyone know what the price for replacement plastic is?

Post some pics, way easier to toss out some numbers/suggestions etc... Sucks but toss it up anyway

i will as soon as i get it back. didn't have anyway to get it, having to get my dad to the ER, walked to the closes house and talk to the old guy who lived there, said i could leave it there as long as i need to, didn't get home till 20 min ago and thought it would be rude to go get it now and possibly wake him up so just waiting till morning. funny, my wife was just telling me that i have to stop letting him use my bike. and on top of that, i just got it out of the shop for a bunch of small things that i didn't have time to get done, 400$ bill.... bummer.

stock plastic is $$$$$$ i think the left side is like 700+ gen 1. had the same damage from my spill and i'm repairing my slowly

You can never tell your dad no. Simply just can't do it. Don't question that decision and start saying 'I shoulda said no.'
So don't sweat it.

Glad dad is ok, sorry about the bike.

stock plastic is $$$$$$ i think the left side is like 700+ gen 1. had the same damage from my spill and i'm repairing my slowly

He has custom paint,factory OEM's are not gonna help him.

If U just want it back on the road lookin decent and cash is tight:

buy a whole set for around 5-7 hundred off ebay,pretty yours up later when funds permit,sell other set later to off-set cost

buy a used set

fix it yerself,dont know how,we'll walk U thru it. U can even do it super cheap by finding a company that will put that color in spray bombs for 20-30 bucks a can,just need the paint code, this is assuming we are dealing with a solid color and not a bunch of air brushing.it wont be mint,but it wont look trashed either.Probably help yer dad in his "healing process" to see it lookin decent again.

Hope those ideas help.

RSD.

O ya...no insurance? My deductible is only 500,that would get my bike fixed up mint.Plus I'm allowed one crash without a change to premiums.

Also,glad DaD is OK. As stated previously,thats the major here.

RSD.

think how your dad feels....he must be even more gutted since he kept asking 'is it ok to' when he had the bike...he knows you situation and how much you care about the bike.
In the end the bike can be repaired...you dad got away lucky....he could so easily have gone down under the bike.
Basic replica plastics are cheap enough and someone on here may even have a set lying in the garage and no longer needed....as long as the tank and frame are intact your fine.

this is the worst of it. front fender is scratched up real good, the tale just has some light scratches, tank has one small scratch on it. all pegs, clips so on still good. drove it 20 min and drove fine, didn't pull or have any odd vibes. some of the scratches are real deep but no cracks. so looks like ill be in the market for some new plastic when i get some cash.

photo-1.jpg

sux to hear he went down. It always sucks when it wasn't you do damage to your own bike. But glad he is ok.

wash the bike,dry it and ride it. you have no one to impress.. bike went down don't let it get you down.. Ride Till The Sun Comes Up Again...

Some good advice so far. Check for leaks. When I lowsided, it was leaking oil from a big gash in the stater cover. Had to change that before I could even ride it again.

These bikes are tanks- lay it down, pick it back up and ride it home. You may just have to slowly replace one piece at a time and then paint it when you can afford to. Had a lot of luck with bar ends, mirrors, blinkers etc from guys here. Check the classifieds for the parts you are gonna need. You may be surprised in how little it takes (if any) to be back on the road.

Having a wrecked busa is still better than no busa.

O ya...no insurance? My deductible is only 500,that would get my bike fixed up mint.Plus I'm allowed one crash without a change to premiums.

Also,glad DaD is OK. As stated previously,thats the major here.

RSD.

I didn't report mine. My Ins was 3800 per year at one time. I'm not going back to that.

how hard is it to sand it down? looks like it might of had a few paint schemes since new, so a bit of paint to take down. never really done much body work, but thinking that won't be to hard. what i really want to know is, is paint my self a smart idea? never done it but have wanted to try, thinking just a nice white, might have a friend do some airbrushing or pin work, then just clear coat it?? anyone ever use a paint shaver? use to use them on PWCs to strip down the hull but that seems a lot smother and starter then busa plastic.

Back