Busa cutting out randomly at low speeds

R4V3N

Registered
Hi

My 2000 busa has started randomly cutting out but at low speeds (for example creeping up to a junction or whilst slowly filtering) and the F1 light comes on

To get going again i turn it off and on again and it starts fine.

I think the idle speed is ok? (currently set at just over 1500)

It seems to start cutting out when the bike is warmed up.

I have read on other posts with similar problems that it could be fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel pump filter, screens (what ever the hell that/they is/are?) or thermostat sensor?

I don't have a clue where to start

any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks
kev

Hi

My 2000 busa has started randomly cutting out but at low speeds (for example creeping up to a junction or whilst slowly filtering) and the F1 light comes on

To get going again i turn it off and on again and it starts fine.

I think the idle speed is ok? (currently set at just over 1500)

It seems to start cutting out when the bike is warmed up.

I have read on other posts with similar problems that it could be fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel pump filter, screens (what ever the hell that/they is/are?) or thermostat sensor?

I don't have a clue where to start

any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks
kev

First of all,yer idle should be about 1100.1500 is rediculasly high. if you bought used,previous owner was a shmuck. he may also have done this to hide a problem. I like to start with the cheapest fix first(why throw money away to find problem is still there. Get the FI code.Go from there. If its still all stock I would pull the shiddy disintegrating paper fuel filter to start with. The "screens" they are refering to are: Little screens to filter out stuff like a crummy fuel filter.:laugh:

There are 4 of them. One sits atop each injector. This is not a job for a rookie who is unskilled,not sayin' thats you,but get help if you need it.

Thats where I would start. Turn down that idle to a grand or so and see if it will even start/run.

good luck,

RSD.

thanks for the info guys - i'll take a look & if no joy at least i can update the garage

thanks again
kev

Idle is high. Are you turning the fast idle off after warming the bike up ? If not do so and see if it runs better.

That is a high ass idle. I agree with all of the above. Also, do you have any kind of power adder?

Hi all
right ive checked the idle and its now set at 1100 as per the haynes manual i bought & your suggestions, Ive taken off the fuel pump relay cut off the casing to check all is working (contacts are clean & engages ok) so all seems fine there. The bike still cuts out every now and then when i come to a stop or start moving very slow. i can turn it of and on again and it will start/run fine. Oh yea ive also checked (as suggested) and there is no paper in-line filter.

The tank has been off and a bit of crap removed from the tanks nipple/pipe and hoses have been replaced.
The only thing thats different (may or may not make a difference) is i changed/swapped the fuel tank off of a 2002 or 2003 (i think) and mine is a 'Y' reg (2001).
Also i can hear the fuel pump engage straight away.

Any help (things to check etc) to save me some money for the garage diagnosing will be greatly appreciated :please:

thanks very much in advance :thumbsup:

Kev

Fuel filter is NOT in-line. It is inside the pump. Need to dis-assemble to clean. I also had crud on each injector screen,again,dis-assembly is required.

Just because you can hear the fuel pump spin up ,dont mean squat...sorry.If the fuel system is plugged,its plugged.

Get the manual,its free and the download link is here...https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/158939-service-manual.html or follow the step by step walk thru's folks have posted.

RSD.

thanks for the info and the manual link - i'll prob have to bite the bullet and take it to the garage then :banghead:

kev

You can do the work yourself and save a ton of $$ on labor. Do a search. I know there is a thread on here that shows step by step how to disassemble the fuel pump. Even cleaning the screens on the injectors can be done if you just take your time.

thanks for the info and the manual link - i'll prob have to bite the bullet and take it to the garage then :banghead:

kev

No need to take it to the garage, lad. The manual in the link RSD provided will provide you with dang near everything you need to know. :thumbsup:

Now, that being said...do you know if your pump is internal or external? I read that you swapped the tank out (tanks after the 2000 went to an internal pump set-up) for an 02 or 03, yes? If it is still external, then you need to check your fuel lines underneath the tank (there will be two: feeder and return) for kinking, as the 99-00 model years did have issues with that particular problem. If the bike is warmed up and then starts cutting out, you may also want to check for a vacuum leak. If the little vacuum hoses underneath haven't been replaced, then now would be a good time to do so. You may also want to check the fuel petcock as well. Make sure it's set to the right position.

Don't worry...I know it sounds like a lot, but trust me on this one: the manual will help you TONS.

Now, I believe you also said you hear the pump engaging right away, yes? That may or not mean anything useful...it could also be your fuel pump giving out. The way to check for that is also in the manual. Basically, you'd need to get a bucket (clean, preferrably), and then run the petrol line into it. I forget the exact measurements, but a healthy pump needs to push out XX amount of CC's of petrol upon turning the bike on. Don't start the bike, simply put the ignition on "ON". You should hear the fuel pump doing it's business, and then you should notice a flow of petrol going into the bucket. Measure the amount of petrol that came out from the pump (use the hose that goes from the pump to the T-rail --- the T-rail is the located right next to your throttle bodies and is where the petrol flows through to your injectors).

Now, if the petrol that flowed out from the hose on the fuel pump measures up to the recommended CC's, then your pump is good. :thumbsup: If not, replace as necessary. If your pump is working fine but you still have delivery issues, then would need to follow the chain of delivery.

Take apart the fuel pump and take special care not to bugger up the o-rings in there. The housing assembly is going to be a two-piece deal, so make sure that you don't treat it rough. Be gentle and try and preserve the o-rings and seals.

Now that you have the fuel pump housing disassembled, you're going to see your pump on one side. Be gentle taking that one out...really try and be gentle. When you get out the pump, look inside and you'll see a plastic sleeve. Be VERY gentle when removing that little bugger. They don't sell that piece by itself...you mess that up and you're gonna hafta buy a whole new fuel pump. Be gentle trying to remove it. Once you do, you're gonna see a screen on the bottom. Clean that out thoroughly. Also, on the housing assembly where you pulled the pump and the sleeve out of, look on the inside towards the bottom. There's a small hole...and in that hole is another screen. Make sure that one gets cleaned too.

If all that checks out, then we move on to the supply hose that goes from the pump to the T-Rail. After that, it's cleaning out the injectors. Don't worry...you'll be fine. You can do all this with some patience and determination. :thumbsup:

Take your time and read the manual thoroughly. If you have any other questions, post 'em up and we'll try to help you out.

Could someone pass me the crumpets and tea. Then we can get back to all of this petrol talk. If you can't get the bloody thing running right,we'll have to load it onto the back of a Lorry. As Sir Pacman said,you've got a bit of a sticky wicket here,but fear not ol' chum,the lad's here will do right by you.Just be thankfull you don't have that dreaded second gear issue in your gearbox.Perhaps later we could discuss mud gaurds and tyres. O' tosh,what twaddle.Well,I'm dreadfully tired,up the apples and pears and off to bed with me.

Good night all,

Lord Rubbah.

Could someone pass me the crumpets and tea. Then we can get back to all of this petrol talk. If you can't get the bloody thing running right,we'll have to load it onto the back of a Lorry. As Sir Pacman said,you've got a bit of a sticky wicket here,but fear not ol' chum,the lad's here will do right by you.Just be thankfull you don't have that dreaded second gear issue in your gearbox.Perhaps later we could discuss mud gaurds and tyres. O' tosh,what twaddle.Well,I'm dreadfully tired,up the apples and pears and off to bed with me.

Good night all,

Lord Rubbah.

Lol...don't ever change, me bruvver. A' fine and right bastid you are, but that's why I luvs ya. :laugh: Cheers, you salty old dog. :D :beerchug:

Sorry pac,had to do it. I dont think even our British Brothers have said the word petrol instead of gas that many times in a post before. :poke:

Guam was originally settled on by the Spanish was it not my big Hombre?

Anyway,time for some bangers and mash. :laugh:

Rubberto.

Sorry pac,had to do it. I dont think even our British Brothers have said the word petrol instead of gas that many times in a post before. :poke:

Guam was originally settled on by the Spanish was it not my big Hombre?

Anyway,time for some bangers and mash. :laugh:

Rubberto.

No harm, no foul, me bro... :thumbsup: And no, Guam was not orginally settled by the Spanish. The original settlers were people of polynesian, possibly indonesian/asian descent. The original islanders were Chamorro (the pronunciation is more spanish-based)...but there has been movement to reclass it as "Chamoru".

The Spanish were, however...the first to colonize the island. They also brought many diseases that nearly wiped out the indigenous population...and they brought subjugation too.

Here's an interesting tidbit: islanders now run the average height of 5'4" to 5'9". There are no more "pure" Chamorros...the blood line has been mixed with Portugese, Japanese, Spanish and many others. There have been a spate of recent archeological studies, and you know what they're starting to find? It's starting to look like the average height of the ancient Chamorros was around 7 feet tall. 7 feet tall! Seems to me 'ol Pac here got the short end of the stick...pun intended. ???

So yeah...just a little historical background on the board's most loved/hated/unknown Chamorro. Heheh..."Rubberto". Nice! :laugh:

Thats what I meant...colonize.:banghead: The white man sure has spread the ol' plague around. Eh.
7 foot,WOW. maybe they could dig up some bones,get some DNA,add a little stem cell research or something and...........POW.
A giant Pac-Chamorro hits the courts for the NBA.

Thats some neat history dude.

I wonder if they got history like that in Spokane. ???

Better stay put buddy. :laugh:

Rubb.

Heheh...dunno if I'd fancy being 7ft tall. At this point I'd settle for ankles that haven't had tendons and ligaments fused and perhaps a couple of new knees.

But yeah...that's a lil bit of history for ya, me bro. Maybe I will stay put...but only for a little while longer. :D

Back