Busa cuts out

Busaboo

Registered
Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could seek some help from any people who may have experienced this before.I recently changed my fuel pump and filters,and now bike starts ok,but after a short while it cuts out.It feels like fuel starvation,but I am unsure if it’s the new replacement pump or something else,
.Has anyone had the same experience.I would love any feedback,and I thank you all in advance.

Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could seek some help from any people who may have experienced this before.I recently changed my fuel pump and filters,and now bike starts ok,but after a short while it cuts out.It feels like fuel starvation,but I am unsure if it’s the new replacement pump or something else,
.Has anyone had the same experience.I would love any feedback,and I thank you all in advance.
Can you share moreBike info, so the more expirienced guys here can help you? Year, mileage, modifications? Replacement pump OEM or aftermarket? new or used?

Can you share moreBike info, so the more expirienced guys here can help you? Year, mileage, modifications? Replacement pump OEM or aftermarket? new or used?
Sorry guys and gals,bike is 1999 gen 1.27000 miles,pump brought from eBay £90 including custom charge and shipping.No powercommander,and I also noticed that it would not rev over 6000 rpm.Aftermarket exhausts.I was suffering from hot start problems,and read through net and you tube,and all the common reports came back ok.I have checked gummed up crank gear,but found all clean,I changed the cylinder type filter in the pump as well as the pump.Guy I got ebay pump from America,claimed better flow rate as he rebuilds them professionally,looked a little bit smaller shell,but it fitted.When cold it started,as I brought a new battery thinking it was this,but when you take a ride and pull over for fuel etc,I go to start it,and it struggles to turn over,and the more you try the less responsive it is till it just won’t turn over,but leave bike to cool down it will start ok.I am no pro mechanic.What I cannot work out is with the new pump installed,it will fire better,leave it running for s while to warm up,then it just splutters to a halt,and I cannot work out if it’s the new pump that is not right,and not pulling the fuel through,but then why if left for a bit it will start again and then run out of fuel.Id really appreciate any help before I sell her...

5FCE144F-829F-4500-AE02-105089938D36.jpeg

Sorry guys and gals,bike is 1999 gen 1.27000 miles,pump brought from eBay £90 including custom charge and shipping.No powercommander,and I also noticed that it would not rev over 6000 rpm.Aftermarket exhausts.I was suffering from hot start problems,and read through net and you tube,and all the common reports came back ok.I have checked gummed up crank gear,but found all clean,I changed the cylinder type filter in the pump as well as the pump.Guy I got ebay pump from America,claimed better flow rate as he rebuilds them professionally,looked a little bit smaller shell,but it fitted.When cold it started,as I brought a new battery thinking it was this,but when you take a ride and pull over for fuel etc,I go to start it,and it struggles to turn over,and the more you try the less responsive it is till it just won’t turn over,but leave bike to cool down it will start ok.I am no pro mechanic.What I cannot work out is with the new pump installed,it will fire better,leave it running for s while to warm up,then it just splutters to a halt,and I cannot work out if it’s the new pump that is not right,and not pulling the fuel through,but then why if left for a bit it will start again and then run out of fuel.Id really appreciate any help before I sell her...

View attachment 1603721
I’ve seen @Mr Brown post a few times about the early busas with external pumps having issues once up to operating temp, due to the pump not having the insulation around them and overheating.

One other thing to look at, be sure the fuel tank ventilation is working ok, NOT blocked.
Check the fuel tap is not blocked up with rust and crap from a rusty tank internals.
Be sure the fuel delivery is a good persistent flow from the tap to the pump.
Did you clean gauze in the fuel pressure regulator orifice in the pump? That may be blocked, also the sleeve that the pump is inserted into, that gauze filter may be blocked.
Then, as me brown said, the foam insulation MUST be intact and preferably the OEM material.
You really need to check all components of the fuel system as a whole, leave no stone unturned.

One other thing to look at, be sure the fuel tank ventilation is working ok, NOT blocked.
Check the fuel tap is not blocked up with rust and crap from a rusty tank internals.
Be sure the fuel delivery is a good persistent flow from the tap to the pump.
Did you clean gauze in the fuel pressure regulator orifice in the pump? That may be blocked, also the sleeve that the pump is inserted into, that gauze filter may be blocked.
Then, as me brown said, the foam insulation MUST be intact and preferably the OEM material.
You really need to check all components of the fuel system as a whole, leave no stone unturned.
Hi kiwi rider.I managed to change the cylinder type filter,the small pump pressure regulator filter was clean,the on,y one I could not get out was the pump strainer,as I don’t have a pick tool,and it’s a biatch to get out lol.This piece of black in colour insulation pad was originally around the pump when I got the bike.I have been looking online for good heat shield wrap to put round it in case.I pulled out the fuel sender and that was clean as.My next step was to pull out the sensor which is on the tap I think your referring to.I have been following a link off of this forum,this does a break down picture for picture,and I have found no end of problems trying to find the right strainers etc.

This is the original pad that was round it mr brown when I got the bike.This is about 4mm thick 3/400x3/400,not measured it to be honest
The original insulation around the pump is a ‘sock’ and fits quite tight and needs to be slid over the pump.
Either way, the pump must be insulated well.
The sleeve that you haven’t removed and checked is most likely the cause, they gets layer of gunk over the the fine mesh end and that’s what blocks the fuel flow to the pump.
You must get that out and clean it.
Good luck mate!

The original insulation around the pump is a ‘sock’ and fits quite tight and needs to be slid over the pump.
Either way, the pump must be insulated well.
The sleeve that you haven’t removed and checked is most likely the cause, they gets layer of gunk over the the fine mesh end and that’s what blocks the fuel flow to the pump.
You must get that out and clean it.
Good luck mate!
Thanks so much for your help kiwi rider,and I will get back to you when done.

I want to throw out there a problem I had which I attributed to the fuel system. I went through all the similar scenarios (i.e. cutting out at warm temps.) Until I noticed an arcing at my stator connector. Seems as if the guy I bought the bike from thought it was the fuel pump too. The pump and system was new. Just check that stator connection to be sure.

I want to throw out there a problem I had which I attributed to the fuel system. I went through all the similar scenarios (i.e. cutting out at warm temps.) Until I noticed an arcing at my stator connector. Seems as if the guy I bought the bike from thought it was the fuel pump too. The pump and system was new. Just check that stator connection to be sure.
Thanks lcash will do mate.I ended up getting the filter out,and it was not bad at all,which is really bugging me lol.

C68B6256-B2EC-411D-954D-F1C0D6E9A73B.jpeg

Well I got the filter out,and was surprised it was not that dirty.So I cleaned it up,and now got to rebuild all over again lol.Thanks everyone for your feedback on my drama.

Back