Busa cut off at 100+mph

Blugottiv

Registered
Hello guys and girls...I'm stumped...my bike cut off on me while riding and wouldn't start backup.got it home to find my stator and rectifier connections melted together...took my stator cover off and found my flywheel screw came out...replaced those parts and it fired up only to have a knocking sound coming from the motor...can someone help with this...

My take on this would be that probably when the flywheel bolt came adrift, the rotor (flywheel) has fretted away the woodruff key and possibly damaged the keyway slot, and/or the tapered end of the crankshaft . . .
so when the new bolt is fitted and tightened, the rotor may not be seated properly and is rocking around causing the knocking.
I say this because it only started knocking AFTER the rotor bolt came loose and caused the issues stated.
Revisit that, recheck the key and key way and get back to us.

Last edited:
Drain the oil and check for metal. Then pull the pan and look at the rod bearings. Look for signs of hot spots on the crank. Does the knock go away or get worse with rpm?
Oil looks good...and the sound is consistent...I get a puff of white smoke at start up...

My take on this would be that probably when the flywheel bolt came adrift, the rotor (flywheel) has fretted away the woodruff key and possibly damaged the keyway slot, and/or the tapered end of the crankshaft . . .
so when the new bolt is fitted and tightened, the rotor may not be seated properly and is rocking around causing the knocking.
I say this because it only started knocking AFTER the rotor bolt came loose and caused the issues stated.
Revisit that, recheck the key and key way and get back to us.
Will do...thanks

Just to be absolutely clear . . . .
whenever a rotor/fywheel bolt/nut comes loose . . ALWAYS check the condition of the key and key-way, don't just fit a new nut or bolt and tighten it up, you most likely have damage done to the key and the key- way.
Thanks going to pull it back off and recheck the fit

Just to be absolutely clear . . . .
whenever a rotor/fywheel bolt/nut comes loose . . ALWAYS check the condition of the key and key-way, don't just fit a new nut or bolt and tighten it up, you most likely have damage done to the key and the key- way.
Going to recheck it...thanks

Hello guys and girls...I'm stumped...my bike cut off on me while riding and wouldn't start backup.got it home to find my stator and rectifier connections melted together...took my stator cover off and found my flywheel screw came out...replaced those parts and it fired up only to have a knocking sound coming from the motor...can someone help with this...
Well guys thanks for all of your help...i finally decided to take it to the shop after finding gold in the oil...lol...spun a bearing

Well guys thanks for all of your help...i finally decided to take it to the shop after finding gold in the oil...lol...spun a bearing
I figured that was what it was. Sometimes the oil light will flash on right before that happens, and listening to the motor is the best way to diagnose it.
It's not great, but at least you know what it is, and it's fixable. Time to upgrade....

Back