Busa clutch experts!~clutch was acting funny and now this!

rashad

Registered
Ok, recently my clutch has been acting like it needs bled..for no reason.. just happened suddenly on a ride.. I noticed the lever will have about an inch of freeplay before it seems to even start to disengage the clutch....

In other words, pulling it to the lever it still feels like its semi engaged sometimes.... very hard to hit neutral etc..

I do have the brass fitting in the lever in case anyone asks..that was the problem when I first got the bike.

So riding home tonight, got stuck in some rain and something happened while riding down the highway..

I pulled in the clutch to shift and It now feels like half the lever pull is just loose and it barely disengages when pulled all the way to the bar.

couple of things:

1.) I am almost positive this bike has race springs in it, because It is much harder to pull then a stock busa clutch. (bike was dragraced for two seasons)I just bought some stockers off someone on here and am waiting for those.
2.) I bled the clutch right after I bought the bike in april (turned out it was missing the brass bushing in the lever and that is why it wasnt pushing the piston all the way in)
3.) I have read that sometimes the clutch basket screws can come loose... Would this cause what I am experiencing??

It cant be a worn clutch, because that would be the opposite correct? It would never engage... not never DISengage..right?

I dont think any oil spilled.. I was wondering if something had cracked or gave...

Please help.. I have off tomorrow and need guidance on where to look first!

I just had that cover off the put on the new front and back sprockets and chain.. uggh.. Will that leak oil?

I just had that cover off the put on the new front and back sprockets and chain.. uggh.. Will that leak oil?

It holds the slave cylinder.
It will not leak oil, but yours is probably cracked, and will eventually break then you have no clutch.
Take off the fairing and pull in the clutch lever and see if the cover flexes.
You should see where it is cracked.

Here is the replacement I use:

http://www.kaotichobbies.com/products_slv.htm

Check some sponsors here at the board, they sell similar items.

Last edited:
I believe the slave housing is a coming failure problem on our bikes. They make a nice upgrade/reinforced one.

ok, so before I buy the slave support (at least temporarily because I cant shell out for a billet cover right now) do any sponsors have a good deal on one? I have seen them for 49.99.... also this will support a cracked cover right?

ok, so before I buy the slave support (at least temporarily because I cant shell out for a billet cover right now) do any sponsors have a good deal on one? I have seen them for 49.99.... also this will support a cracked cover right?

put on ad up on psychobike looking for a used one...should be able to locate a used full billet cover for roughly $100

I sold them brand new at thta price once....so did canadian Mike. (both on ebay)

btw, the bolts hold the clutch pack together...ie engage them....if the bolts back out the clutch pack opens and disengages or slips.

your lever pushes a rod through your engine and causes the clutch to be disengaged.

so if the lever is not disengaging your clutch...that points me to either reservior/lever issue...or sprocket cover...or the rod...but it worked before.

Another possible issue since you mention leaking....your clutch slave/line could be leaking...thus not giving you pressure to disengage the clutch...hopefully nothing was messed up during the bleeding

BTW....FYI.....bleeding a clutch is about the hardest place to bleed...second place goes to the rear brake for some odd reason....

ok.. not only was the cover cracked near the front(left) side of it, but the right side bottom bolt was loose! Either I didnt tighten it all the way, or that saved the cover from fully cracking by taking some of the stress.. either way the crack is only apparent when i pull the lever..

Goldenchild, Ill take it. It will work for now and ill look for a billet cover.

Thanks guys! Gary you are awesome.

ok.. not only was the cover cracked near the front(left) side of it, but the right side bottom bolt was loose! Either I didnt tighten it all the way, or that saved the cover from fully cracking by taking some of the stress.. either way the crack is only apparent when i pull the lever..

Goldenchild, Ill take it. It will work for now and ill look for a billet cover.

Thanks guys! Gary you are awesome.

food for thought...if the cover is broken already there is a chance it will break the support...

I have seen them break the supports and covers when both started in great condition....

no no lol.... front part of the cover (left side if you are looking head on)

I will try the slave support.. worst case its almost time to stop riding.. Ill put the bike away and take it out next year completely fixed.

gary is definitely the right cover.

no no lol.... front part of the cover (left side if you are looking head on)

I will try the slave support.. worst case its almost time to stop riding.. Ill put the bike away and take it out next year completely fixed.

gary is definitely the right cover.

ok ok....just looking out for you man :laugh:

can only reply to what you type.:cheerleader:

ok ok....just looking out for you man :laugh:

can only reply to what you type.:cheerleader:

:thumbsup: i know it.. its all good!

After tightening the cover, I could ride the bike im sure.. the loose bolt definitely was what caused that feeling.. but I dont wanna crack it more.. just gonna leave off the fairing and wait for the slave support. Besides I put too many miles on this beast this year. When I roll her out next year she will be a new machine!

Back