Busa Buying Advice #g

gsferrari

Registered
hi,

I have a local ORG member who has his '02 all black busa for sale. He was kind enough to come by my place with his bike for me to check out. I did not ride it - probably the polite thing to do.

Details:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/96325670.html

Can you give me any suggestions? Advice? Things to look out for?

How do I go about getting financing for this bike?

Warranty expires September 2006.

PLEASE ADVICE!!!

well that bike looks pretty mint...and it still has warranty on it. Buy it for 7000.00 without the extras

Even at $7500 with extras its a fair deal. Not a steal for you, but not a great deal for him either.

Have someone who knows what to look for check the bike over for you and its not a bad idea to vin check it, just in case.

Probably won't find much better than that with the extras. If you are truly interested take it into a shop and have 'em check it out.

I don't think I'd go over $7K. Check eBay for similiar - several there with less mileage. If you bite, check to see what the sprockets and chain look like and if he has kept maintenance records.

I had zukracer sort of "lead" me through the whole thing. He took the bike for a ride and said it checks out OK. I like the bike and though it has a TON of miles on it - the seller is a good chap.

Gotta sort out the money now
smile.gif

Compression test is always simple and inexpensive, run the bike and get a feel for it. Listen to the transmission, feel the gears as you shift. Make sure the forks aren't leaking oil and stuff. Check the general appearance such as the swing arm, chain, rotors and so forth...are they clean...pro'lly should be if he's trying to sell it, but if they're not, you know to stay away. The chain should not be filthy or overlubed/waxed. Check the sprockets. Are the teeth decent? What do the radiator fins look like...are they clogged all to heck. When you're checking the forks, look up under the cowl...are they bugs-nsh!it up in their stuck to the forks...you know what I mean. They're bound to bug juiced - but anal guys like I think most of us on this board, use elbow grease and crimp and cramp around to keep the Bus nice-n-clean...it just shows care of ownership. Also, if the dude gets most of his service work done at a shop, ask for reciepts and so forth. I do alot of my own light servicing and keep a log of my mileage, oil used and filter used, mileage when I clean my air element and stuff. Any joe can throw together a bullsh!t log when he's selling, but if you meet the guy a few times, converse with him, get a feel for him, you'll have a fairly decent idea of whether he's trust worthy or not. Of course, I have been screwed once, and it was a bad one...so, that doesn't ALWAYS hold true...be careful. If they are bragging about HP and torque and what the bike dyno'd...tell them to give you a copy of the log...if you go on their word you're bound to be disappointed. If they say they don't have the log, ask what shop, names, and so forth, and visit the shop if you want.

Don't be shy about a test ride. Give the guy something for collateral and ride the fuggin bike. When I say I got screwed?...I DIDN'T ride the bike first because I really trusted the guys I bought from...and I like to think of myself as a decent judge of character, too...I got fugged...hard. Ride the damn thing, get a feel for it, listen to it, feel it...and then you'll have 3/4 of an idea what you think. Visual inspection of not just the outer, but innners as well, is important. Get the compression test done, too. It's inexpensive and you can even do it yourself. Get on your hands and knees and look at stuff, look at the oil in the sight glass...is it underfull, overfull...that kind of stuff. You don't want to stuck for seven, eight grand. I got stuck for three grand and put another thousand into the fuggin thing before I could even ride it...didn't follow my own damn advice...
mad.gif

If the guy wants to sell, and if he's truly a motorcyclist, he'll understand.

Thanks for the advice guys. The bike is squeaky clean cosmetically and zukracer tested it out and was very impressed with the feel, power and shifting. thumbs up from him. I am going to have the VIN checked and hopefully I will be up and riding in a few days.

gs

Back