Busa brakes vs zx 14

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I just got back from 2 days at daytona, doing the demo rides.
I'll do a full review on the bikes I rode but one question I had needs a seperate thread.

I rode the 14 and the one thing that knocked me out was the brakes...awesome.

Now I got EBC brake pads and steel HEL lines on the busa and I'm still nowhere near the ZX14 brakes.

So I'm wondering if I didn't miss something somewhere, like maybe I still have a slight bit of air in the lines. Seems like the ebc pads gripped very well when new, now not so much...plenty of pad left though. Hmmm...

Opinions...ideas...are the zx's brakes THAT much better than the busa's or something quite not up to snuff?

Yeah they are better but should they still be way way better than a busa with ebc pads and steel brake lines?

Or do I have something amiss?

Tough to compare A modern radial caliper/ master cylinder arrangement to the Gen 1 Busa brakes. Too many things working against you. This is one thing I am waiting to read about. Suzuki chose not to put a radial Master on the 08 busa. Wonder how that puppy would respond to a forged Brembo Radial M/C? I have heard from several people that this is the next step in braking power for our older tech conventional brake setup.

Gen 1 Busa brakes with good pads, braided lines and FRESH fluid works good enough for 99% of riders.
I bet 75% of riders will not even tell the difference.

Radial master cylinder is more noticeable then radial calipers.

I'm wating for some 08's to be parted out so I can put some of those
radials on my 06. I'm sure the fork rake and diameters are the same.

watch this seller on ebay. sportbikeparts2u
He parts out Brand new bikes all the time. He is a dealer in Nevada. I gues he can make more money just selling parts.

I bought few times from him. reliable seller.

I saw some Gen 1 busas with radial brakes a few years ago at the track in Greensboro NC. I think they used gixxer1k front forks. Not sure if they just drop in or have to have tree made.

Interesting stuff.

The front brakes are honestly the only thing about my 05 Busa that I don't really care for. Kind of soft and just don't have the power I'm used to.

Wonder what reasonable upgrades there are out there...

watch this seller on ebay. sportbikeparts2u
He parts out Brand new bikes all the time. He is a dealer in Nevada. I gues he can make more money just selling parts.

I bought few times from him. reliable seller.
Yep, that's the dude that came throughwith the new rotors when the "brake guru" messed up my 20,000 mile rotors. This guy had his assistant stop by and deliver them to me. "New", slightly smudged, but nothing else. He definitely rocks !!!
super.gif

Good stuff Maynard....

I agree with Vic, hands down the next mod if you are unhappy with the front brakes, is a radial pump. The Brembo 19x20 I installed on mine made the feel so much better. It had about the same effect as lines and pads on top of what you already have.

"Radial Mounting" is a minor +...i think it's the 14 lighter wheels that MAKE the brakes seem so much better...as the brakes are stopping less rotating mass...toss some marichini's on your busa and then come back and tell me how much better the 14's brakes are...but i don't believe you will.

Did you know that the wheels on the busa are actually older than the busa itself? They were on the old gixxers a few years before. Very heavy compared to the current stockers on most new bikes.

Yes, agreed, the 14's brakes are better than my 05 Busa's were. Interested in seeing how the 08's brakes are.
The first time I got onto my 14 and hit the brakes I couldn't believe the different feel they had. I really like the 14's brakes a lot. The only mod I had done to my Busa's brakes were the steel braided lines. I noticed a little difference with the lines but not that much.

Back