Busa blows blue smoke w/synthetic?!?

OB_cartman

Registered
On the advice of several posters here, I changed my oil over to synthetic at 2544 miles (Mobil 1 MVXT).

A couple of days ago with my bike at 3050 miles, I traded bikes with a friend (GSXR 750) and we went riding. At one point, he nailed the throttle on my Busa, and I was disturbed to see a cloud of blue smoke coming from the exhaust.

I figured (hoped) that the problem was that I hadn't broken in the engine completely yet, so I drained the Mobil 1. which was slightly down on oil level, and put in some Castrol 10w40. I just took the bike out, and there is now much less smoke coming from my exhaust when I get on the throttle hard. After my ride, I let the bike idle on the Pitbull, faced the exhausts, and revved the engine hard several times. There was an initial small puff of black, not blue, smoke on the first rev, and then decreasing amounts of smoke on each rev of the engine, until the last rev, where I'm not sure I saw any smoke at all come from the exhaust.

I'm sort of happy about the results of my action, but I'd like to know why my bike smokes on the synthetic oil but not mineral oil. It doesn't seem to be a break-in issue, right? Or else the problem wouldn't have fixed itself so quickly? Should I take the bike to the dealer and tell him what happened, or will my use of synthetic screw me WRT my warranty? Is a leak-down test in order here, to make sure that no engine damage has been done?

Thanks for any and all input.

this might help. mine did the same thing. except i changed mine in the first change. im not sure exactly about this but. i know for a fact whenever you get the revs high in a stock, perfect bike ect. it will always burn some oil. im not saying like a ton just a little. im not sure but i know that in cars ect. you are not supposed to switch to synthetic after long use of regular oil. the synthetic is just slippery enough to get past and smoke.im assuming it just does that until the motor "gets used to it" whatever. mine stopped after about 15 miles on oil .

why did you put this oil in it in the first place? did you think it would make your bike faster. there are better ways to do that. you spent alot of money for something stupid. I use 10w40 that what they reccomend.
be sure to use motorcycle oil though because the car oil has molicules that get smashed when it goes through the cluthes on your bike.
I learned that a very long time ago from a very wise man!

Bottom line is that the even the worst synthetic base stock is a better lubricant than the best petroleum based stock. This has been documented not only in these boards (do a search) but most of the good rags as well.

Cartman, not sure as to why your's is doing this, but I can assure you it's not the norm.

The actual motorcycle synthetic from Mobil is "MX4T" not "MVXT" (not sure if that was a typo on your part).

Never use a auto based oil in a bike. Today's oils for autos have a lack of additives that do not take into account the wet type clutch and can actual do more harm than good over a period of time.

Many will tell you that MX4T is the best motorcycle lubricant money can by, myself included. The bike runs cooler, quiter and shifts better with it than without.

They don't put fully synthetic oil in Vipers, Vette's, Ferrari's, etc. because it's bad...get my drift.

BadBoy, the MX4T IS 10 W 40.

[This message has been edited by Fast_Eddie (edited 15 August 2000).]

I also just switched over to the Mobil 1. The bike does seem to run a bit smoother and less engine noise. I don't have the blue smoke problem. Changed to synthetic at my second oil change. I'll watch for this now that you brought it to the boards.

This might be bullsh**t,but someone i know talked to a freind who works for Mobil. It seems that the motorcycle oil is the same as the car oil,they just put a different label.

SpeederT, you answered your own question, it is bullsh*t. They are two seperate and distinct oils.

Greg, is that your opinion or some type of oil shootout winner? :)

fast_eddie: I typo'd - I meant MX4T.

I wasn't bashing Mobil 1 in any way, shape, or form. I'm sold on the use of synthetics in engines, just not if it means that my engine blows a sh*tload of smoke whenever I whack open the throttle.

The reason I used Castrol instead of Suzuki 10w40 is because I was pretty bothered by the smoke, and I wanted to get the Mobil out of there ASAP and mineral oil back in to see if that was the problem. The local Suzuki dealer is out of their mineral based motor oil, so I figured that it would be okay to run the Castrol for a little while until the dealer gets some cycle oil in stock.

I plan to run mineral oil for the next thousand miles or so, concentrating on running the engine into the upper limits of the rev range as much as possible, and then switching back to Mobil 1 and seeing what happens. I'll keep everyone posted.

On the 3rd oil change(2700 miles) I switched over to Mobil 1 with no problems observed. Gear changes seem to be slightly smoother than the Honda oil I used to aid breakin miles. My buddy slightly overfilled his bike & that caused it to smoke slightly.

Back