Busa Bash Rider Down

busa1300nut

Registered
There was a rider with the Bash, his name is Paul,from Fla., I don,t know his screen name, went into a corner too hot, and hit the side of the mountain. Life star flew him to UT, where they removed his spleen, and I,m not sure what else was wrong with him, but Zuk, and Keven will have more info I,m sure, when they return home. I just went up for the day, so I don,t have anymore details. Keep him in your preyers.

sad.gif

sad.gif
Sorry to here that! Hope he gets better soon...

He will be in my prayers!

I think it is time for everyone to use just a bit more caution. It's getting to the busy riding season and some of us may still be a little rusty from the winter.
My prayers are with him and all.

I been in a almost life taking wreck before so I know how bad this guy feels right now. I'll give a shout out to JC for him.

On Friday I was looking forwarded to getting with the members on Saturday morning..but late that night on the local news the showed that 6 motorcyles had been down and one fatality had happened at Deals Gap (The Dragon) had stuck again... The next day as we gathered with members to ride, we went thru the Foothills prkwy....I had a really uneasy feeling about riding the dragon..we stopped in the Pumpkin Center to find out that 3 more lifestar choppers was removing more riders from the Gap...once again the dragon won...people need to realize that have never run this 11 miles 318 curves its not for the novice rider....people get killed and lifetime injuries here all the time....I for one survived my fall last year..the dragon did leave his mark on me.....be careful....

On Friday I was looking forwarded to getting with the members on Saturday morning..but late that night on the local news the showed that 6 motorcyles had been down and one fatality had happened at Deals Gap (The Dragon) had stuck again... The next day as we gathered with members to ride, we went thru the Foothills prkwy....I had a really uneasy feeling about riding the dragon..we stopped in the Pumpkin Center to find out that 3 more lifestar choppers was removing more riders from the Gap...once again the dragon won...people need to realize that have never run this 11 miles 318 curves its not for the novice rider....people get killed and lifetime injuries here all the time....I for one survived my fall last year..the dragon did leave his mark on me.....be careful....
What is going on here, is there a minimum speed thru there or what? I just dont understand why people are dying. Please help me understand.

sad.gif
Definitly in my prayers... and best wishes for a speedy recovery~

Be safe everyone! Utilize that part of your body your helmet is protecting...

What is going on here, is there a minimum speed thru there or what? I just dont understand why people are dying. Please help me understand.
I think some people are just pushing too hard, it's not supposed to be a racetrack. They're riding at the limit of their ability/knowledge of the route and/or their bike, trying to be the fastest, and there's no margin for error.

On the track there's sand and soft barriers to slow you down if it gets away from you. The Gap has trees, rocks, oncoming traffic and sheer drops, it's just not forgiving of mistakes.

2005-04-17
by Anna C. Irwin
of The Daily Times Staff

Three injured motorcyclists were airlifted from U.S. 129 Friday by Lifestar and two more on Saturday.

Almost all the crashes occurred on the Dragon, the 11-mile section of the highway between Tab Cat Creek and the North Carolina state line famous in motorcycling circles for its 318 curves.

Tail of the Dragon Web site at www.tailofthedragon.com reported in its news section posted Saturday morning that there were ``at least five accidents on or near the Dragon'' Friday with four people taken to hospitals, three of them airlifted due to the severity of their injuries.

According to Tail of the Dragon, ``BCSO (Blount County Sheriff's Office) began a stricter enforcement in the afternoon (on Friday) -- and we can't blame them. If you are coming to the Dragon this weekend, we advise you to ride safe and within the law.''

According to the Web site, motorcyclists who ride Suzuki's Hyabusa model were gathering at Robbinsville, N.C., for Busa Bash III, an event which included rides throughout the area including the Dragon.

Sheriff James Berrong confirmed that he put extra officers on the winding highway Friday afternoon, funding the extra patrol with some of the money from a highway safety grant. He said efforts to keep motorcyclists and other motorists who use U.S. 129 safe will continue. He also said he appreciates the safety messages displayed on the Web site and hopes riders take heed.

At 11:15 a.m. Friday, Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Ernest Marion responded to a motorcycle crash on U.S. 129 about a mile from the Monroe County line. Martin said Tomas Hradil, 30, of Chicago was thrown off his bike on a curve and the motorcycle caught fire.

Rural/Metro Ambulance Service paramedics determined that Hradil's injuries appeared serious enough to require airlifting him to University of Tennessee Medical Center by Lifestar. He was treated in the emergency room and had been released Saturday evening.

At 12:06 p.m. Friday, Blount County Sheriff's deputies investigated a crash on U.S. 129 near the Tennessee/North Carolina line. Paul J. Sisilli, 42, of Port St. Lucie, Fla., was headed northbound down the Dragon when he lost control of his Suzuki Hyabusa motorcycle and went into a ditch.

Again, Rural/Metro Ambulance Service paramedics called for Lifestar to take Sisilli to UT Hospital. He was listed in stable condition Saturday.

Shortly before 2 p.m. Friday, Trooper Bryan Martin responded to a motorcycle crash near the 6-mile marker on the Dragon. He said James Henry III, 35, of Georgia was negotiating a curve when he lost control and went off a 15-foot embankment. Henry was also airlifted to UT hospital, treated and later released.

Around 1 p.m. Saturday, Trooper Brent Cagle investigated a motorcycle crash on the Dragon that sent both people aboard the bike to UT hospital by Lifestar. Details of the accident and names of the victims were not available Saturday evening.

In addition to the three motorcycle accidents Friday requiring the services of Lifestar, the medical evacuation helicopter responded to Blount County two more times, picking up someone injured in a horseback riding accident near Tremont in Great Smoky Mountains National Park at a landing zone in Townsend and transporting a man injured in a lawnmower accident at Walland.

The five Lifestar trips to Blount County is believed to be a record number of responses here in a single day.

CURRENT NEWS:

TAIL OF THE DRAGON has been named as one of the best websites for North Carolina bikers by BIKERS MAGAZINE. Thanks !
APRIL 16, Saturday: Another rider flown-out . Cruiser hits bank at Beginner's End near TN/NC border. Driver airlifted, passenger taken to hospital in ambulance. Once again there are rumors of one or two deaths on the Dragon Friday. TN HP reports no deaths as of 9 am Sunday morning. We did hear that one rider suffered serious internal injuries after hitting a rock wall, but he is reportedly still fighting for his life. Very busy weekend on the Dragon so ride cautiously and stay alert.
APRIL 15, Friday: MAYHEM ON THE DRAGON... We know of at least 5 accidents on or near the Dragon with 4 transports (3 were airlifted). Contrary to rumors, as of 8 am Saturday morning - the TNHP reports NO fatalities. Blount County SO began a stricter enforcement in the afternoon - and we can't blame them. If you are coming the Dragon this weekend, we advise you to ride safe and within the law.

Back