'busa as st bike

okay...

I am hoping to purchase a new bike in the next 6~8 weeks and am looking at almost exclusively the GT/ST bikes.  The Hayabusa, the FJR, and the ST1300 from honda.  My question is, I have read all about being able to add seats like the tobin, and bar risers from places like genmar or helibar, different pegs, etc.  I am aware that there are lots of options for side luggage for a busa.  My question is how does a properly equipped busa compare against the likes of a stock FJR.  I realize it's faster, and it's more of a sport bike.
I went 850 miles(could have went further) then 550 the next day last year on my busa. I'll be doing a saddlesore 1000 soon (1000 miles 24hrs...Had it planned last year for a trip to new orleans but... well you know...). With gen-mars and helibars you can pretty much sit straight up. Drop the pegs (TL or Buell pegs) you have plenty of leg room. You can put givi luggage on it that is better than any factory luggage I have seen (it wastes my buddys BMW (RT1150) factory luggage in useable space). Although with the luggage its best to keep the bike below 140mph. Its plenty smooth, cruises a low rpm range (for a bike) on the highway.

..And its fast as hell.

I like the FJR too but for me its no contest.

Again, everyone has their own opinions, and here's mine...

The Busa is in a completely different class than the ST or FJR. In my opinion, it would never be as comfortable, but then again the others will never have the power and speed of the Busa.

I'm convinced I need a "touring" machine as well as my Busa because I have done all I can (Heli's, Tobin's, etc) but for long rides it's not as comfy as I'ld like. I have been giving serious thought to either an ST or FJR but am trying to decide if I manage to keep the Busa as well.

Later,
Bob

Routinely do 500 mile days on busa. But I would say they are very different bikes- the FJR. My touring partner has the FJR, and when I ride his, it's a very sit up high seating position with tall seat. The electric windshield is nice, but oddly enough, I like the Zero Gravity SR windscreen (lowest) on the busa. He routinely leans his FJR over so far, he's scrapped down the brake shaft. Plenty of HP in FJR, but nothing like busa.

Last weekend one of tour participants asked if I had lowered the Hayabusa. No, stock suspension and bars. But with Tobin, I suppose it looks very long and low. Stretches me out over the tank, which is comfy. This is easy decision for me. All busa.

Img_1631-busa.jpg

Img_1528-Hayabusa.jpg

Although I did buy a '97 Honda ST1100 yesterday for a daily driver/commuter.
biggrin.gif
I use the Hayabusa for traveling.
tounge.gif

Img_1768-Bitterwater-busa.jpg

great pics...thanks for the info...wish i could find beautiful tank bag and seat for my 06 le...if anyone knows where to get color matched send me a pm ..thanks

Back