Busa 2010 Barrel problem

Duncan Barnes

Registered
I have a 2010 Busa that lost compression on all cylinders. I am told the rings are worn and that the chroming on the barrels has failed. I am told that the chroming failing on the barrel is a common problem. Is this true. The engine has done less than 3000 miles

Negative on the failures...Gen2s are extremely reliable. Not sure of your problem, but engine failure is not a common thing.

Others will post, but 100K on a Gen 2 happens quite a bit around here.

BUSAs have a sterling rep for having bullet-proof engines. I do not think I've heard of a case like this ever.
Anyway, welcome to the org Duncan and hope you get your bike back on the road soon.
P.S. Are you the 1st owner of the bike? How was the bike ridden/maintained? Best of luck.

you sure the timing chain didn't break?
I have a 2010 Busa that lost compression on all cylinders. I am told the rings are worn and that the chroming on the barrels has failed. I am told that the chroming failing on the barrel is a common problem. Is this true. The engine has done less than 3000 miles

The engine is being used in a race car. We did not get the engine new. When I tested the engine a few months ago I was only getting 125 PSi on a compression test across all 4 cylinders within a couple of PSi. I am told the rings have failed and that the 2 inner barrels have lost some of their chrome. I am also told they are prone to cracking but this is not the case in this instance

these motors are super strong.
you probably bought a busted up half ass put back together engine.

The stock Hayabusa motor is pretty much fail proof...sounds like whomever you got the motor from definitely did some damage to it...Good luck on the fix.

Never heard of someone chroming a motorcycle engine.

I had an airplane engine cylinder chromed once. The chrome was harder than the original walls.
If the chrome is really peeling then it was a poor chrome job.

Then again why would someone chrome it instead of boring out the cylinder to a larger size?

You bought a used engine with 3000 miles on it and it was chromed?
Sounds like you got a raw deal.

Have not heard of this. I suggest you PM some reputable folks here. gixerhp, johnnycheese, goldenchild,

Is the motor stock ? has the motor had any work on it ? turbo ?

It wodul be extremely rare for all 4 cylinders to get damaged at once regardless of the cause. That said, 125psi compression on a presumably stock engine is extremely low to start and indicated an issue right from the start.

I am guessing there are a few details being left out of your initial post. Perhaps a turbo on the engine?

I believe there is a special plating on the cylinders from the factory not sure if the lining is chrome or not. Have you performed a leak down test on the engine?

The bores are not plated with chrome if you have a chrome plated bore you got sold a bill of goods. Unless you are doing something pretty stupid or pushing for max performance 'busa engines are pretty bulletproof. Sounds like someone hacked a motor together and sold it to you.

the chroming he is referring to is the nikaseal that are put in the modern cylinders.. email me at address below and we can discuss some options. what is your location duncan?

Back