BURNED OUT ON MY BUSA

onequickcoupe

Registered
PURCHASED A 2000 BUSA IN APRIL OF 2004, BIKE HAD 1100 MILES ON IT AND WAS COMPLETELY STOCK. OWNER ADMITTED THAT THE BIKE SAT FOR OVER 6 MOS WITH BAD GAS. PROVIDED A SUZUKI DEALER INVOICE WHICH INDICATED THAT HTE BIKE WAS SERVICED TO INCLUDE O-RINGS, FUEL STRAINER, PACKING, FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY, FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY, FUEL PUMP RELAY R&R, R&R CLEAN INJECTORS. THE BIKE RAN GOOD;HOWEVER IT DID HAVE A HICCUP WHEN ACCELERATING FROM STOPS AND RAN LIKE IT WAS RUNNING OUT OF GAS IF THE FUEL GAUGE SLIPPED BELOW HALF A TANK. I ADDED CHROME RIMS AND A YOSH TRI-OVAL PIPE. NO REMAP OR POWER COMMANDER. WHILE RIDING 130+ IN 3RD OR 4TH GEAR THE BIKE DIED PRIOR TO REDLINING, I LEFT OFF THE THROTTLE AND IT EVENTUALLY RECOVERED BUT HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME. THE BIKE RUNS WELL UNTIL IT GETS HOT, AFTER HEATING UP THE BIKE RUNS LIKE poop, SPUTURRING, GASPING, HESITATING, ESPECIALLY AT HIGHER RPMS. MECHANIC RAN THE BIKE ON ON DYNO, DYNO INDICATED A FUEL SYSTEM PROBLEM, PRESSURE WOULD DROP OFF AT HIGHER RPMS ONCE THE BIKE WAS HOT AND UNDER LOAD. REPLACED FUEL HOSES, FUEL PUMP AND PROBLEM PERSISTS. SWAPPED ECU'S AND PROBLEM PERSISTED. WAITING FOR FUEL REGULATOR TO SEE IF THAT WORKS?? ANY ADVICE ON WHAT MAY BE CAUSING THE BIKE TO HAVE FUEL SYSTEM/PRESSURE PROBLEMS AFTER HEATING UP. MECHANIC AND I ARE AT OUR WITS END. I JUST WANT THE BIKE TO RUN SO THAT I CAN SELL IT, I AM SO DISAPPOINTED, SUMMER IS BASICALLY OVER AND I RODE FOR ONE MONTH.

Maybe the injectors. They could either be dirty (try cleaning the screen filters in them) or you could have one getting ready to die on you. Good luck getting the problem fixed.

A fuel pressure guage will tell you if it is the the pump or reg. quit throwing parts at it and find a real tech

My quess kinked hose also if the had the sender out the could have bent the arm and then the guage reads wrong. Does it do it with a full tank

<!--EDIT|Johnnycheese
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093093944 -->

srry cant help there,but i own a 2000 busa,hope you like the bike,i love mine.ur sort it matey
wink.gif

I had a fuel/air temp dependant problem like that before. Drove me nuts. Ran great till it warmed up. Once warm, it was the stall machine. Had EVERYTHING with the fuel checked and/or replaced, computer replaced, vacuum lines, swapped out so many parts. Turns out an air regulator was bad. Tech had checked it and said it needed adjusting. Several minutes after running, problem re-occured. I assumed then that it wasn't the air regulator. Turns out, the air regulator wasn't holding it's adjustment. Swapped it out, problem gone.

Perhaps check items relating to air.

A fuel pressure guage will tell you if it is the the pump or reg. quit throwing parts at it and find a real tech

My quess kinked hose also if the had the sender out the could have bent the arm and then the guage reads wrong. Does it do it with a full tank
Like Johnny said....However I would suspect the regulator. What did you replace the pump with?? (Type) Also running the pump in the tank ot of the tank or both??

Guys, I appreciate all the advice. I just don't understand why the bike runs fine until it heats up. If the injectors or filters were causing the problem, would it not run like crap all the time?? It only starts to run bad after heating up and at higher rpms?? I am still waiting on a fuel pump regulator to install to see if that may fix the problem. I can't afford to keep buying new parts. Can I sell this thing as is to anyone, I have lost my swagger with this bike;however I think the problem is simple and fixable!!

Can someone say air deprived? I don't know the busa to well, but, could someone suggest what parts could be failing related to intake air adjustments?

Guys, I appreciate all the advice.  I just don't understand why the bike runs fine until it heats up.  If the injectors or filters were causing the problem, would it not run like crap all the time??  It only starts to run bad after heating up and at higher rpms?? I am still waiting on a fuel pump regulator to install to see if that may fix the problem.  I can't afford to keep buying new parts.  Can I sell this thing as is to anyone, I have lost my swagger with this bike;however I think the problem is simple and fixable!!
Again!!!!!! why are you buying parts?
rock.gif
???
put a guage on it and watch the fuel pressure. If it goes low after getting hot then you have something to look for.
If your tech is a moron and only wants new parts find a real one.

I have the same problem.

Engine stalls at high fuel demand, mostly at hight RPM's.
Changed fuel lines, checked filters, removed injectorfilters. Problem still there.

Checked airfilterbox, valve opens at 2500 rpm.

Checked vacuumlines: OK.

Checked tank depressurizer: OK.

Checked tankfilter: OK.

I suspect the air pressure regulator as well. Today mij bike is at a performance centre where they'll check everything on a test bench.

Hopefully today I know the answer for you and myself...

Good luck!!

Patrick

Guys, I appreciate all the advice.  I just don't understand why the bike runs fine until it heats up.  If the injectors or filters were causing the problem, would it not run like crap all the time??  It only starts to run bad after heating up and at higher rpms?? I am still waiting on a fuel pump regulator to install to see if that may fix the problem.  I can't afford to keep buying new parts.  Can I sell this thing as is to anyone, I have lost my swagger with this bike;however I think the problem is simple and fixable!!
You lost your interest huh? Cool No worries, I'll take it off your hands for $3500 and Have Bulletrain come by and pick it up for me this week cool???

You lost your interest huh?  Cool No worries, I'll take it off your hands for $3500 and Have Bulletrain come by and pick it up for me this week cool???
I'll give him $3505 Rev...
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

its probably worth more apart than it is as a whole bike

don't give up. Stop changing parts and start doing some troubleshooting. Listen to Johnny he knows, if you installed a full system you may need to do some tuning but like I said listen to Johnny. JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!! It will be well worth the wait.

Have you checked the breather vents lines for the tank? It could be plugged or pinched and may not actually be the heat that is causing it but after running for a bit it starts to develop a vacuum and cannot feed enough fuel to the system due to the negative pressure built up in the tank. The two small tubes are tied together and exit down by the right front foot peg.
smile.gif

Found it!!!
My tuner found a short circuit near the injectorrelais. It shorted out this relais which ended up in cutting off the fuel.

When? During high accellerations (g-forces) and riding over bumps.

Hopefully you find your problem soon as well...

Greetz
Patrick

Good thing to remember is always start simple.  Don't buy parts until you know what the problem is.  Glad it looks like it is fixed.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094687048 -->

Back