Bump starting the beast?

bazooki

Registered
Anybody have any experience bump starting their Busa? I have been successful in bump starting all of my bikes going back 30 years and usually I do the trick by myself but this is the first time ever where I have been unsuccessful even with two pushers. My usual technique is the standard 2nd gear ignition on push to rolling drop the clutch and bazinga! No go this time out though.....now have the battery on the trickle charger hoping tomorrows startup is more successful. Reason for the bump was a too low battery brought on by lots of 0C nights and no running for two full weeks.

Believe the bike needs juice to start up. It's due to the fact everything is electronically controlled. Need juice to power the pump to build up pressure. Injectors need juice to open, etc... Not sure how much juice is needed to operate this stuff though.

Were ya dead dead or just to dead start normally? Ive bumped mine before, it had some life left in it, but not much.

If the battery has enough juice to power the pump at initial ignition on, then it should bump start easily.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can here the pump kick on should be able to push start. But if the fuel pump doesn't do anything I don't think it should start... don't quote me on it :whistle:

Probably better off anyway I here that asking your charging system to charge a bad or severely drained battery is a bad thing.

Still had enough juice to light up the instruments and fire the pump but couldn't get the engine to fire. Maybe should have tried 1st gear push instead of 2nd as 1300cc is a lot to turn over. We'll see how we do tomorrow with the trickle on all night. I think its going back down to zero celcius tonight and a high tomorrow of about 7 or so. Couple weeks left until it goes in for the big sleep but I want to ride a couple more times as I have my new Arai Nori Haga arriving this week and I want to test it out!

Last edited:
If the bike was running and shut it off for a few minutes the push start deal works...but when unfired for a few hrs and cold I have had zero success.

Seeing that my motor makes approximately 10 revolutions before it starts, both cold and hot, I'm guessing that your chances of bump starting yours are slim to none.!!

Seeing that my motor makes approximately 10 revolutions before it starts, both cold and hot, I'm guessing that your chances of bump starting yours are slim to none.!!

Thanks for the positive vibes Kaptain!:lol:
I'll have my fingers crossed tomorrow and hope for the best anyway.

i had to bump mine a few weeks go andas long as the pump primes your go to go... a just pushed it about ten feet jump on her and pulled the triger on 1st gear, rode to the shop, got a new battery and that was it. Good luck next time

I've done it with a few guys helping me. I actually used third gear and got it up in speed a little bit. It seemed not to want to just drag the rear tire when I dumped the clutch. It fired off no problem. However, if the charging system is not working, don't do it. Turned my pipes from chrome to gold in a few seconds from the heat.:whistle:

I've had to bump start a few times, usually involves rolling down a hill, getting 15-20mph then slowly let out the clutch.... dont know how good it is for the bike but that engine is a beotch to start with a dead battery :whistle:

Problem solved. The trickle charger did the trick and it fired right up the first time and ran smooth. I'll have to remember to give it an overnight charge if I don't get any riding time in before it has to head to the dealership for the long winters nap. Nice to avoid the second round of pushing today though....:whistle:

Back