built trans very hard to find N and clutch-less upshifts?

SuperSaiyan

Registered
My trans is built and the gears are undercut also i have a stage 2 clutch (forget brand). Neutral is very hard to find most of the time, sometimes especially when the bike is cooler its easier. Is this just the nature of a built trans? Also i was told when your getting on it you can upshift with out clutching because of the clutch style. Tried it a few times with no issues, is this bad to make a habit of? thanks!

yea neutral can be a PITA to find I agree yea its the tranny jus gotta get use to it. u can do clutch less shifts jus let off the throttle just a little and I mean a real little and u can upshift no problem but u can do that with any tranny actually not just one with cut gears I've done it on all my bikes including my CR250 dirt bike.

I do it wen cruising but wud never dream of doing it under WOT but it can be done I jus don't see the point. why fuk up ur $1000 tranny?

hav u considered an air shifter?

The problem is not the tranny, is is the clutch set up.
Many aftermarket clutch set up dont allow enough oil into the inner basket, or the spring pressure squeezes the oil from the plates, not allowing the parts to work well together. There is a fix, i need to find the pics, i have done on a few of my bikes

Thanks for the info guys, it's a pita cause you have to be very firm with the gear shifts but very controlled and slow for neutral.. Ya really wanna put an air shifter on it.. With the air shifter you just roll back the throat alittle and hit the button, no clutch either right?

No clutch for airshifter. Its good for turbo bikes because you dont have to come out of boost and respool. All in all, I was hoping for faster shifts with mine but if you are really good with footshifting, you might not make great ET gains with it plus I put mine in the lowest setting with a stock tranny and I am now dropping gears and going to need an undercut. B.I.K.E. (Break It, Keep Expending). You arent tracking your bike though so I dont know if it would be a solution to your problem. More of a novelty. A 2 stage clutch is pretty track oriented. Maybe you dont need that much. Maybe you could get by with a stockish clutch OEM style and HD springs and sell your 2 stage clutch. Read up on that 2 stage clutch, its kind of complicated how a 2 stage or multi works and the setup involved. I could see how these guys with 300hp and up at WOT and track pushing it to its limits might need that because of slipping but it seems a bit much to me for a street bike especially without an air shifter. Once you start going that route with 2 stage and multi clutches, you are looking for time on ETs that really is only diminishing returns unless you have a track bike. JMHO.

I will buy your built tranny from you though.

No clutch for airshifter. Its good for turbo bikes because you dont have to come out of boost and respool. All in all, I was hoping for faster shifts with mine but if you are really good with footshifting, you might not make great ET gains with it plus I put mine in the lowest setting with a stock tranny and I am now dropping gears and going to need an undercut. B.I.K.E. (Break It, Keep Expending). You arent tracking your bike though so I dont know if it would be a solution to your problem. More of a novelty. A 2 stage clutch is pretty track oriented. Maybe you dont need that much. Maybe you could get by with a stockish clutch OEM style and HD springs and sell your 2 stage clutch. Read up on that 2 stage clutch, its kind of complicated how a 2 stage or multi works and the setup involved. I could see how these guys with 300hp and up at WOT and track pushing it to its limits might need that because of slipping but it seems a bit much to me for a street bike especially without an air shifter. Once you start going that route with 2 stage and multi clutches, you are looking for time on ETs that really is only diminishing returns unless you have a track bike. JMHO.

I will buy your built tranny from you though.

Good info.. Not sure if I have a two stage clutch offer just a strange two. . . stupid question but a two stage clutch would look like a big can sticking out of the right side fairing correct?

yes but make sure u load the shifter before you hit the button meaning put a little pressure on the shifter before u hit the button otherwise it tends to go into neutral at times. there NO rolling back (letting off) the throttle with an air shifter.

Thanks for the info guys, it's a pita cause you have to be very firm with the gear shifts but very controlled and slow for neutral.. Ya really wanna put an air shifter on it.. With the air shifter you just roll back the throat alittle and hit the button, no clutch either right?

No, what you are seeing is his clutch cover. See on the outside edge where he can take off those bolts and get to it quickly without having to pull the whole cover off? Do you have those bolts on the outside like this one? MPS Racing Quick Access Clutch Covers
Quick access is just like it sounds. If you do, you can and should open it up and take a look at what is inside. Its an important thing to know what kind of clutch you have so you can understand it. If you are unsure, snap a pic of what you see and post it so someone can identify what you have.

Tilt it on the kickstand and there shouldnt be any oil in there.

No, what you are seeing is his clutch cover. See on the outside edge where he can take off those bolts and get to it quickly without having to pull the whole cover off? Do you have those bolts on the outside like this one? MPS Racing Quick Access Clutch Covers
Quick access is just like it sounds. If you do, you can and should open it up and take a look at what is inside. Its an important thing to know what kind of clutch you have so you can understand it. If you are unsure, snap a pic of what you see and post it so someone can identify what you have.

Tilt it on the kickstand and there shouldnt be any oil in there.

Great info, will do tomorrow. Mine doesn't look real thick and sticking through the fairing like that

Dont take it off if it doesnt have the quick access cover! The oil sight glass is in the clutch cover meaning the oil level is above the bottom of that slightly and you may end up messing up that gasket and having to wait on a new one or permatexing it. We probably all should have a quick access cover. I dont but I havent decided on a clutch setup yet so I am running OEM and HD springs. Clutch dynamics I am not real comfortable with having not had hands on enough.

Dont take it off if it doesnt have the quick access cover! The oil sight glass is in the clutch cover meaning the oil level is above the bottom of that slightly and you may end up messing up that gasket and having to wait on a new one or permatexing it. We probably all should have a quick access cover. I dont but I havent decided on a clutch setup yet so I am running OEM and HD springs. Clutch dynamics I am not real comfortable with having not had hands on enough.
Ya I have stock with the site glass. I believe it's just a stage two clutch with hd springs. He was explaining to me how the clutch disc pucks are wider for more strength and that's why clutch less up shifts are easier. Not sure if this sounds but this is what I was told

Pull the clutch and have a look at your basket and hub. If you have any notches/grooves in either,that can cause the condition you are describing.

Back