Building a workbench that should outlive my great grand kids

If you lived closer to me, I'd put you and a welder to work really quickly....

I go to a local weld shop (who are great guys) but seem to always have a 'great' idea after I get home.
Lol! I’ve been practicing mig welding and also welding aluminum with a spool gun. It is fun, but I’ve always been curious about tig welding, so I ordered the setup for my welder and I’m excited to start playing with that. Hopefully, with enough practice, I get my welds looking like stacked dimes.

Lol! I’ve been practicing mig welding and also welding aluminum with a spool gun. It is fun, but I’ve always been curious about tig welding, so I ordered the setup for my welder and I’m excited to start playing with that. Hopefully, with enough practice, I get my welds looking like stacked dimes.
I worked at a manufacturing company years ago and always marvelled at the skills some of the fabricators displayed. I learned enough to make metal stick together, but it's far from pretty. I'm gonna get more experience soon as I plan on redoing the bridge and 2 link in my bagged truck. Don't worry, I'll have adult supervision...

I worked at a manufacturing company years ago and always marvelled at the skills some of the fabricators displayed. I learned enough to make metal stick together, but it's far from pretty. I'm gonna get more experience soon as I plan on redoing the bridge and 2 link in my bagged truck. Don't worry, I'll have adult supervision...
I work with some really good welders and the contractors we sometimes use are amazing, but those guys weld all day 6 to 7 days a week and on critical piping and structure. I always had an interest in joining the company’s maintenance program/school, but went the management side instead. I don’t regret my decision, but sometimes wish all I had to worry about was laying a good weld and not all the crap being on the management side brings. Lol! One of my best friends did join the maintenance program and graduated a few years ago, so the little bit I know comes from his coaching/tips and I also keep a fire extinguisher on hand, in case I set myself on fire. LOL!

Nice job how big is your garage The reason I am asking is do you have to take the car or bike out to give you more space to work ? I have a 7 X 7 metres garage and its still not enough space for me I have to take one of the cars out I am dreaming of a huge man cave for my next house :thumbsup:

Nice job how big is your garage The reason I am asking is do you have to take the car or bike out to give you more space to work ? I have a 7 X 7 metres garage and its still not enough space for me I have to take one of the cars out I am dreaming of a huge man cave for my next house :thumbsup:
I don’t know the exact dimensions, but is a 3 car garage, so I have 2 cars and 3 motorcycles in there and there is space for the Workbenches you see in the pictures and I have some space left to access my tooLboxes and do some wrenching on the bikes if I need to, but is not ideal. My dream is to buy a house with some acreage and building a big shop with a car and bike lift. Here is a pic of the 2 car side after I coated the floor and put rubber mats down to preserve the coating and the picture I posted on first page shows the one car side. Is all tied together, but has a double Garage door and then a separate single door.

5A2E67BB-07EA-4879-8822-D66A84D14A45.jpeg

Last edited:
Back