building a drag bike

Well made it to my first track day this year. Drove down to cedar falls raceway and I brought both bikes. It was a little rough start but at the end of the day it was turned out to be pretty good. My best time on motor so far has been a 8.80 at 154. When I ran that pass it was at the end of the year running mrx02 fuel and the temperature that day was 55 degrees. This past weekend I ran 8.73 on nitrous trapping 159 160 mph. It was much warmer and the tune was on the rich side. Plan to swap out some clutch springs for some lighter ones and lean the nitrous tune out a little. My goal for the year is to get a 8.7x on motor and 8.50 on nitrous. Next year mods will be a clutch. Right now iam rocking a stock clutch with springs and removed slip limiter

0E63D06C-05AD-495C-A2C6-3C72FA9B27A0.jpeg

Ben wanting to start a thread about this for a year now. Maybe tomorrow, but stock motor-68" wheelbase-jri shock-internal lowered front-bones on rear-1 1/2 sag on rear. Hand clutch(trac king)225lb suited. 17 front 43 rear. I AM CONSISTENT LOW 1.5'S IN 60'. I think its possible to get in 1.4's. Nobody mentions gearing. If I lost 40lb I get maybe 1 or 2 tenths more. Steveo8 said 1.3 all day 1st page of thread. I have a 16t on the way, going to see what it will do this weekend

Ben wanting to start a thread about this for a year now. Maybe tomorrow, but stock motor-68" wheelbase-jri shock-internal lowered front-bones on rear-1 1/2 sag on rear. Hand clutch(trac king)225lb suited. 17 front 43 rear. I AM CONSISTENT LOW 1.5'S IN 60'. I think its possible to get in 1.4's. Nobody mentions gearing. If I lost 40lb I get maybe 1 or 2 tenths more. Steveo8 said 1.3 all day 1st page of thread. I have a 16t on the way, going to see what it will do this weekend
You should be in the 1.3’s. I would go 17/47 or 48.

I'm sure a 16 is fine since I know nothing about fitment. However the small you go on the front the more the chain starts to bind. Causing greater friction and wear. Rears are more of a Hassel with space, weight, chain length, and more. General rule is one down f is about the same as two to three r. It can be a balancing act between the two options

Along with what Johnnie Phatt said, if you go to 16t in the front, dont push a whole lotta power or you're asking for a chain to snap. On that note, better get a case saver if you dont have one (cheap insurance)

Listen here Dennis. Well above 200lb here, stock bodywork, factory rims, and steel bearings(do you know the resistance those give?) 1.3? Pipe dream for my setup. But I'm going to burn it down trying. Thanks
Don't try too hard or it won't happen! The 60' isn't affected by weight as much as the other numbers. Bearings don't matter in the 60'. Be smooth, get the throttle open and clutch out by the tree. You need that gear.

Don't try too hard or it won't happen! The 60' isn't affected by weight as much as the other numbers. Bearings don't matter in the 60'. Be smooth, get the throttle open and clutch out by the tree. You need that gear.
Was joking about bearings, seems to be a conversation about ceramic everywhere. Never hears that high tooth on rear with sto

So I wired up a 2 step on the bike and went to the track this weekend. Really loving the 2 step on the bike and worked great for me. It helped with the launching a lot. Bike felt much smoother with the 2 step vs rolling the throttle. The 2 step is used from the power commander ignition module and wired using my clutch switch. I had to by pass the ecu wiring for the clutch switch for the 2 step to work on the power commander. So right now I have power going to the clutch switch and a wire from that going to the power commander to signal the 2 step. I took the factory clutch wires and put them to a separate switch that I have to press to start the bike. I think my 2 step is set at 4250 rpm right now. I might turn it up next time at the track and see if it helps my 60 foot or hurts it. I think after one more track day iam going to try running the nitrous again only if my 60 foot is staying constant. The bike is down in mph but we did have a head wind and I lost my all motor tune from laptop. So at wot I had it all at 0 on the power commander and watching the afr gauge it showed the bike was running rich.

062D6DBF-69CF-41ED-A457-59A2B3A6FC5C.jpeg

Little update. I forgot to post what happened in June at before the 2 step. I went to a event called proving grounds at bir. I ran my best ever and have a lot more left in it now that I have 2 step on the bike. This pass is before installing 2 step. Now that I have 2 step and my 60s are lower and consistent I feel like a 8.4x should be easy now on this small shot. I did buy some mrx02 to see how big of a difference it makes over the pump leader 110 I always run in the bike. I know I have power left on the table on motor. I took the drag shock off of my turbo bike and going to put that in this bike and see if that helps me at all with my 60s. Try to get the bike to leave more smooth.

890D04B1-FB37-4C90-93CA-CF311CDB982E.jpeg

So today I went to a local track and made some test passes. Suppose to have a $500 grudge race with someone. If he shows next weekend. So now I have my launching figured out for the most part. I know they ain’t crazy but im getting there. I need a shock for the bike. But these passes were made on spray with a 34 jet and spraying in 1st gear at 8k rpm with no ramp. Would like to step it up before the end of the year to a 42 jet and would like to start spraying sooner.

18476D47-A636-4E9A-87D8-7CBD5245CBA9.jpeg

Back