Build your own Wheel Balancer for $20.... Plans

mike1180

Banned
I wanted to build my own wheel balancer and wanted it small (no room for storage), and accurate, and above all cheap.
This will be in 9 posts and then I hope the pics will stay.

Parts List:
1. 2 pcs - 1/4 X 2 inch angle aluminum 12 inches long ($5 scrap)
2. 4 pcs - Abec 9 (or lower if desired. It will work with less) Rollerblade bearings ($6 ebay or local skate or skateboard shop) If possible, buy the bearings with removable side plates so you can take off the side plates and wash out all the grease and just give them a small shot of light oil when you start to balance. Taking out the grease and adding the light oil lets them turn even easier. This is optional.
3. Existing OEM font and rear axles. (Don’t forget to use the 2 small collars on the rear when balancing.)
4. 10 pcs - #8 robertson screws 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch long. ($1)

Rollerblade bearings come with different sized center holes so adjust the bolts and washers accordingly:

5. 4 pcs - 5/16 by 1 1/4 inch bolts and nuts ($1.50)
6. 12 pcs - 5/16 inch washers ($1.50)
7. 1 pcs - straight 2X4 or 2X3 8 feet long - cut in half. ($4)
8. 600 grit sandpaper ($1)

Total: $20 (CDN)

bearing.jpg

1.Take 600 grit sandpaper and lightly smooth out and polish both ends of each axle to make sure there are no rough spots. (10 minutes)

1.JPG

2. Mark the middle of one side of the aluminum angle, near the other edge.
Use the threaded collar from the front axle as a guide (use the narrow end of the collar), and mark a circular mark 1/4 inch in from the edge on the aluminum, in the center.
Use a rough circular file or Dremel and remove that material.

2.JPG

3. The holes for the bearings are 1 1/4 inches apart (5/8 from the center line on each side) and 3/8 inch in from the edge. Rollerblade bearings come with different sized center holes so adjust the bolts and washers and holes accordingly:

3.JPG

4. Drill 5 - 3/16 inch holes in the angle for the number 8 screws to hold the assembly to the 2X3 (offset them a bit so they won't split the wood)

4.JPG

:beerchug: pretty cool balancer. I use dyna beads, so I don't worry about balancing... but if I didn't, your way seems like a pretty good way to go:thumbsup:

I bought a "Tube" of those bearings and did the same thing.. yours looks nicer than mine however :)

I do have a spare set of the bearings for the cost of postage if someone wants to build one..

Another great job Mike....
High point balancer... similar to the old school rc prop balancers....
Friction is always an issue..... wonder if magnets can be used, would have to make a iron mandrel though..... if you could find strong enough magnets...

oldschool.JPG

new balance.jpg

Back