Budget Priced GPS Units

Poppy

Donating Member
Registered
While looking around at HID kits, I noticed this site has cheap, I mean inexpensive GPS units. Not bad for someone who is looking to try one out, or like me, had theirs stolen and just need another quick replacement until a deci$ion is made on the next one to purchase. There's a lot of models out there for sure....$$$

As a disclaimer, they are what they are, inexpensive GPS units.

Look in the menu on the left....

Motorcycle HID Kit | HID Country

They look like the same stuff you can buy in walmart. What's your question? They most likely wouldn't last long on a bike if used in any kind of weather, and vibration tends to kill them too. Otherwise they will work while they work :whistle: ask me how I know....

I've used several GPS units designed for automobile use only.... even got them wet. One became extremely wet on the way to Hayas in the Hills (HITH) and turned off. Once it dried out, it turned back on and worked normally for another 6 months (then I sold it). It was a Garmin Nuvi 225W. The one I use now (Magellan 1700 7" screen) has seen some rain drops and never shut off. I use a Techmount and vibration hasn't been an issue. I haven't seen any ill effects from vibration and just for measure, your car puts it through a ton of vibration anyways.

I think it's more of a marketing ploy and $$$ to make motorcycle specific GPS units.

for that price, i worry about current maps. has anyone used one from this site and can confirm good/bad info?

I had some cheap costco GPS on my gen 1 bike that I attached with the included suction mount and that died in 2 rides (presumably from vibration)... Same story with a cheap costco raydar detector. I have to try one of those techmounts next time

I've used several GPS units designed for automobile use only.... even got them wet. One became extremely wet on the way to Hayas in the Hills (HITH) and turned off. Once it dried out, it turned back on and worked normally for another 6 months (then I sold it). It was a Garmin Nuvi 225W. The one I use now (Magellan 1700 7" screen) has seen some rain drops and never shut off. I use a Techmount and vibration hasn't been an issue. I haven't seen any ill effects from vibration and just for measure, your car puts it through a ton of vibration anyways.

I think it's more of a marketing ploy and $$$ to make motorcycle specific GPS units.

I thought the only difference between the car and motorcycle version was the weather protection and screen was better for viewing ie glare

I thought the only difference between the car and motorcycle version was the weather protection and screen was better for viewing ie glare

So, don't ride in the rain (or know where you're going when it's raining) and make sure to wear your polarized Oakley's. Well, that's what I do.

You're right about the weather protection, but glare can be avoided by the angle of the unit, placement on the bike (mine is ::just:: under the double-bubble windscreen), or brightness settings on the unit.

All in all, the goal of not having a host of lost Busas out there on open roads is worth some ingenuity on our part.

Definitely, just find yourself a mount... You could always use a techmount with Velcro, but that also means your phone would have Velcro on it too...

I found a cheap enclosed mount to keep my gps dry. You probably need the 4.3 in order to see it well on a bike.

Thanks for sharing the link, I liked the tracking device for $119 too.

Back