Bruning thru MOBIL1

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
As of this year, I'm running full MOBIL1 synthetic oil in my Busa and my 97 Honda Civic with 79k miles on it. My Honda has NEVER experienced oil burnup before. I get the oil changed every 5000 miles faithfully, but since I switched to Mobil1, it seems I'm adding a quart every couple months. Now, I won't defend my Honda - it's getting old an WELL WORN I am sure, but it seems REALLY ODD that all of a sudden after switching to a much better oil, it starts burning thru it. Anyone else experience this with Mobil1? At this point, I should go back to my old Valoline Durablend partially synth which ran great and never seemed to burn up. This all leads me to ask, does Mobil1 just burn quicker as a form of better protection and will I be going thru it quicker in my Busa also? For the car, cost is not really the issue, I just like low maintenance vehicles and the less checking and adding I gotta do the better. MY OIL LIGHT CAME ON!!! First time I had EVER seen an oil light in any of my cars!
sad.gif
If I have to feed it monthly now, might as well feed it something cheap and available everywhere. Feedback?

[flamesuit] Synthetic oil is no better than conventional oil. [/flamesuit]

smile.gif

I've read, and read and read on synthetic oils vs. conventionals. I also did my own little, non-scientific test at the shop (I'm a licenced auto tech), if you're interested. I've come up with two reasons to use synthetic;
One, if you're forgetfull about oil changes. Synthetic oils are virtually 100% clean, so they can absorb more carbon and contaminates than conventional oils, that are about 98.5% clean. We're talking less than 2 parts per million contamination. We breath more contaminates than that.
Two, an air-cooled engine that may have hot spots that would burn or carbonize conventional oil. Synthetic polymers may help here. But again, I've got conventional oil in my lawnmower & it works just fine.

Just my .02

Another difference I noticed about Syn oil is that It is a bit more slippery than conv.  oils.  I noticed smoother shifting in  both my Busa and ZX6R. Also when I rode HDs in the 90s HD recomended not to use syn. for some reason.

<!--EDIT|Mr Gone
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088526395 -->

greg what you running for weight? run a heavier synthetic.. red cap. 15w-50 or 15w-40

I run 15w-40 dino oil in my car

10w40 for cycles, I forget for the car, use different weight huh? I might try that in the car. I dont understand the redcap thing - is it cycle oil?

The "Red Cap" is the performance race blend. Word is, it's the same blend as their synthetic cycle grade oil. I'm running it right now in my '04, havn't had a lick of problems.

Jay

That's what I have in mine too. Haven't moticed any issues with it. 15W-50

Another difference I noticed about Syn oil is that It is a bit more slippery than conv.  oils.  I noticed smoother shifting in  both my Busa and ZX6R.  Also when I rode HDs in the 90s HD recomended not to use syn. for some reason.
And Now I believe Harley Puts synthetic in them from the factory. Go Figure...

Same with Porsche, Ferrarri, and Mercedes. All straight outta the factory with Full Synthetic...

Oh Noltez? Too MANY gasoline Fumes Bro... No Difference? Um.... OK....
smile.gif

Back