broken cam chain tensioner - replace or Mod???

sostahoe

Registered
I had a small backfire and was immediatly followed by some rattling. Engine ran as smooth as ever , but it was making the noise and I tried to diagnose the noise location while running. It sounded smooth and no misses. shut it down and tried a restart and it bound up on cranking (ouch!!) I started too inspect and my fist hope and suspect (cam chain noise) was correct. I found a broken tensioner. I am glad that is all it was. I have taken the tensioner apart and it has a broken spring (maybe just get another spring?). OK, Now/ Anybody had this happen? I should mention this is an 01 with a Mr. turbo kit - low miles. and no other probs. I am very mechanically inclined, but like to get other opinions. The APE manual adjuster looks like a spimple replacement, but would be a manual maintanence item and I really am planning to put miles on this motor (Not race and beat on it). Also, Is there any chance that the fiber chain guide and tension arm could have been damadged ? If any one has pulled a motor down after this sort of failure, was there any wear or damage too any other parts ? <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#000000" valign="middle" align="left">Spoiler (Highlight to Read):
</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="middle" align="left">[/QUOTE]

Back