Broke down on the Busa

For $3000 you could practically buy a new engine. There were at least three on eBay this morning for less than 3k.

$55 an hour for labor isn't bad when you're talking about a major overhaul, but I still maintain that if he couldn't be bothered to look at a directional arrow then he wouldn't touch anything I owned.

If I found another engine for $3k, you still gotta figure the labor. I can't do it myself.

Let's all pray it's something easy and cheap to fix. I dropped the bike off earlier and I'm really hoping it's the cam chain tensioner or something.

for $3800 you could have a fresh 1397 from MountainMotor without a core... you could then sideline your motor, fix it when you have time and either sell it or keep it as a spare...

You may have spun a rod bearing. The situation you describe typically results in at least one spun bearing. If you are very lucky it could have just ruined the bearing. However, more likely the crank journal will have been burned while scouring the bearing. At idle, the engine is not under load so the sound is nearly undetectable but as the revs climb, it with get very loud.
Good luck with the repair and take the offers above for help and guidance.

I've been reading on the 1363 and the 1397. I'd like to see what my guy says. If I need a rebuild I'll definitely hit you guys up for a good builder, I'm sure.

Thanks for all your help.

I trailer my bike 3 1/2 hours for anything other than general maintenance. You want someone that absolutely knows what they are doing. It can turn into a long drawn out expensive nightmare if they don't.

You may have spun a rod bearing. The situation you describe typically results in at least one spun bearing. If you are very lucky it could have just ruined the bearing. However, more likely the crank journal will have been burned while scouring the bearing. At idle, the engine is not under load so the sound is nearly undetectable but as the revs climb, it with get very loud.  
thumb_up.gif
ATLEAST one bearing. IF your lucky. I know I told you already of a builder but bdogg here also knows my builder and his bro. is getting his built there. and doliind's buddy is getting his turbo big bore built there. Just be sure to call around and weigh all your options so your happy with your end decision. Def. dont just get it done there cause they are gonna apply the estimate cost into labor cause it may still pay off to go somewhere else. you want to be happy in the end.....THAT IS ALL THAT COUNTS.
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

ditto, spun rod bearing. Sorry for the bad news but you might as well build a big bore stroker now. LOL Good luck with the diagnosis and keep us informed of the outcome.

Ummm...errr....uhhhhh....knocking gone at idle (no thrust), knocking pronounces as rpm rises, thrust surface has been milled, mains and rods (just for good practice here). It's side-slapping. Have cranked checked as main bearings "can" mill crank back. Rods would make noise anywhere in the rpm range. Low oil does these things. Need that layer of oil to insulate "all" the metal to metal surfaces.

Replace with good used motor, and always check your sight glass.........ask Daniel (Cloud Nine) what he has available.....damage is done, don't waste your time. I hate running an out-of-limits motor, you'll end up trying to replace, and restore the original tolerances.....which aren't there any more.

Talk to Daniel.....

Ok. We've got the diagnosis done. I don't know the proper terminology but he's going to get me an estimate tomorrow. I'll scan it and plug it here for the braintrust to analyze. He says I'm looking at about $3000 parts and labor for a rebuild of the bottom end. The crank, one rod, at least one bearing...yada yada. Evidently the oil pump had something in it (some kinda build-up?) so it wasn't lubricating anything. This happened when I accelerated from 60 to the 170 mark. Perhaps it's just that oil wasn't getting where it was needed? Anyway, we'll swap the oil pump regardless!!! And I'll probably put a few .40 cal rounds to it to shake out my aggression.

So if it's gonna cost 3k, what are my options? I'd just as soon do the 1363 or whatever if that's the case, if it's going to be reliable. I use my busa as a tourer, but wouldn't mind being on a high horsepower tourer. I'm open to lots of suggestions so please throw them (and your sympathy) at me.
bump.gif

I'm in Middle TN so any builders nearby I should contact, please let me know.

-yow!

Back