Brining black plastic dash ram back to life?

Lucid

Registered
I have a 99, and the plastic black pieces, I assume they're called "dash rams" by that CF post, are an eyesore. They're dull and faded, which really makes the bike look dated.

Is there any way, outside or CF replacements or painting them, to bring them back to life? I was going to try armor-all but i don't want to waste the money if someone has a better method.

How to Refinish Carbon Fiber Parts
Step 1

Wash the parts to be refinished to remove surface dirt, as the hard silica can leave scratches in the finish.
Step 2

Remove the layer of surface oxidation and heavier scratches with a microfiber cloth and a medium-duty polishing compound, such as Scratch X. Work the polish in with overlapping 8-inch diameter circles. Be careful not to apply too much pressure, as it's not difficult to wear thin spots in the clear coat.
Step 3

Wait for the polish to dry, then buff with a clean towel.
Step 4

Polish the surface further with a high-quality product. Using a good polish is very important on carbon fiber, as the dark color, depth of the weave and several coats of clear hide nothing. Work the polish in gently with overlapping circles using a clean towel.
Step 5

Wait for the polish to dry, then buff with a clean towel.
Step 6

Wax using the highest quality product available with---you guessed it, a clean microfiber towel. Avoid using spray-on waxes (remember, the carbon fiber's clear coat hides nothing).
Step 7

Allow 10-15 minutes to dry, away from direct sunlight. Buff with a clean towel. Repeat waxing if desired.

he was talking about cf replacements. lol, this topic seems familiar...

303_aerospace_protectant.jpg

take the inners completely off, saturate them, let them sit for 10-15 minutes. wipe em down and re install. dark dark color, and they shine like they're brand new.

If they aren't Carbon Fiber, just the stock dash...Armor All will get the wet shine look back easy. Might not be as good of quality/finish as the suggestions above, but it does work.

I 2nd what BlackSheep said. Use armor all wipes every time I detail bike. Works great on the stock mirrors & mirror boots too

you should be able to get it at auto zone, pep boys, kragen, schucks, whatever

If there really faded i would take them off and spray them with a nice Satin or gloss finish depending on what look you want.. Probably the Satin or flat black.. I think Blanca Busa was painting some pieces with the Satin and they came out great..

Another option is wrapping them in CF or wrapping them with a matte black finish... I personally like the CF piece.. :thumbsup:

NEVER>>>NEVER armoral plastics that sit in the sun. Black will BAKE to a grey finish!!!! Ever see a jeep wrangler that someone used armoral on the flairs..NOW they are grey.

That Back to black works good..then give them a coat of wax on top of that.:beerchug:

NEVER>>>NEVER armoral plastics that sit in the sun. Black will BAKE to a grey finish!!!! Ever see a jeep wrangler that someone used armoral on the flairs..NOW they are grey.

That Back to black works good..then give them a coat of wax on top of that.:beerchug:

agreed Armoral will fade plastics quickly.. Like i said if there beyond repair in bringing back the shine of the plastic than maybe a respray would be the better route.. Than you can maintain the plastic properly.. :thumbsup:

I use a product called "Bumper Bright". You can find it at Wal-Mart and it works really good.

Back