Bridgestone BT56's

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
I'm getting a new BT56 for the rear tire on the Busa. Sticking with the BT56's so that I'm not running different compounds front/rear. Next set will be Pilot Power for both.

Question:
What type of feel does the BT56 give when it starts to break loose while in a turn? Is it a sudden loss of traction, or does it give some warning signs? If it gives a warning...can you save it by using maintenance throttle, or is it a lost cause?

I'm mainly concerned about cornering on the track during the occasional track day. I know how it feels when it spins up while going straight. I'm concerned about how much throttle to apply when exiting a turn. The last thing I want is to be exiting a turn, and crash due to the rear breaking traction.

Thanks in advance
cool.gif

Here's a pic to give you an idea of how far I have already taken the BT56's. I may have been riding on a prayer already.

Rear_Tire_2.JPG

Here's a pic of the front tire. I haven't been pushing as hard going INTO the turns as I am coming OUT of the turns.

Front_Tire.JPG

It will be diffent for how YOU ride. Take it slow ad try a littl bit fastr each time. You will gt the feel of how it works for you.

The BT56 is a great mix on wear/performance. The 56 will slide with some warning. It will not be a lost cause. The spin/slide can be controlled with the throttle.

From the looks of the wear on the rear, you are already sliding/spinning out of the turns now. It may be time for a set of race tires for your track days. I got a set

Even on the street I can get 2k out of a set of H2's. Riding the Busa that hard on the 56's you probally get less or about the same.........

From the looks of the wear on the rear, you are already sliding/spinning out of the turns now. It may be time for a set of race tires for your track days. I got a set  
Great...now I know I was sliding and had no clue.
laugh.gif

I felt a few times where it felt a little loose, but not too bad...maybe that was it.

Thanks for the info guys. I might try to find some spare rims when I can save up some money. That way I could have a full race set. Maybe I'll start playing the lottery.
cool.gif

I might try to find some spare rims when I can save up some money.  That way I could have a full race set.  
Working at a dealership and being able to shange my own tires, I wasnt gonna get a spare set. Last week a guy put some PM wheels on his Busa and offered me his front and rear for $150. I just could not pass that up, lol.

I might try to find some spare rims when I can save up some money. That way I could have a full race set.
Working at a dealership and being able to shange my own tires, I wasnt gonna get a spare set. Last week a guy put some PM wheels on his Busa and offered me his front and rear for $150. I just could not pass that up, lol.
That's a sweet deal
beerchug.gif
If I start doing more track riding, then I'll look into it more. Gotta love the perks of working at a dealership.

56's are alright, but they have lousy performance in the rain....at least over here.

They're pretty good in the corners...but I never felt too comfortable with 'em. Like Vmann was sayin, they'll slide with some warning....some throttle control and counter-steering should set ya straight.

Just MHO...
wink.gif

If I start doing more track riding,
If you start doing more track riding, you'll be unloading the busa for a 1000 before your next exhale!!
biggrin.gif
Don't think I haven't already thought about it.
laugh.gif

When I originally bought the Busa...I went into the dealership looking at the Yamaha R-1 and R-6 because I knew they were more suited for the twisties.

But...the wife REALLY liked the Busa a lot better. Who was I to say no.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Hey, stkr00,

I just did a track day on 56 stockers, dragging a knee occasionally. It did slide on me a few times, nothing major. However, it was very predictable. It happened when I was rolling on the throttle after the apex a bit faster than usual. So, I was like "Ok, got the point", and was a little more gentle on the next lap, and no more sliding.

I think there are two major things to keep in mind: 1. To not get on the throttle abruptly, rather do it very smoothly - you will get plenty of gentle warnings. 2. Once it happens, pretty much ignore it, just continue rolling on the throttle slower, but don't ever shut it off abruptly.

Actually, the whole idea of going to a different level is to not avoid sliding, but try to control it. This is one of the reasons I am sticking with BT56 OEM's for now. I could get pretty consistent slides in one of the turns.

Next track day on the 26th. My rear has 2k miles on it, and after the next track day is going to be done. Just got new one today.

Edit: just looked at your rear in the picture. You can lean it a few more degrees. On mine, the very edge of the tire, on the left side has like pieces of rubber like small rubber balls dangling from it - I've heard that was normal - used up layer balls up, and opens up the fresh layer of rubber.

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115307743 -->

Thanks for the info IG. That helps a lot. At least I don't have to worry about it breaking loose without warning. I do try to be very smooth exiting turns. I had one wake up call on one turn where I bliped the throttle and it got a little squirrely. After that...smooooth. Thankfully.

cool.gif

I have not tried any other tires...but I do feel the stock are pretty good for my use
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Back