Brian's friend went down on the highway

Relsek

Registered
Brian's friend bought an old GS850 and tonight the three of us rode down to Bartow for a little ride. We rode all backroads the whole way and the last stretch was about 10 miles of open four lane with very little traffic. I was leading, Mike second and Brian bringing up the rear. We were just about to Bartow when I looked in my mirror and there were no bikes behind me. I pulled over and looked back to see a bike laying on it's side in the right lane, about that time a woman in a white SUV pulled up next to me and asked if she should call 911, we immediately went back to the scene to find Mike just getting up off the ground and Brian with him. Mike said that the rear wheel just locked up as if someone locked up the brake and the bike just went down. He had been doing about 50 when it happened because we were just slowind down as we were coming into town. The bike went right out from under him and he slid probably about 100 feet (just a guess). Mike was wearing riding pants that he got at the dealership, he was wearing a jacket and gloves. The pants were torn on the rear side below the butt, the jacket had a hole worn in the elbow and the gloves were scuffed on the palms, With no gear I'm sure he would have been skinned up pretty good. As it turns out, he came out with just a skinned elbow.

Now is where the fun begins. I checked out the bike and decided that there was no way that the brake just locked up. I had heard of shaft driven bikes locking up in the past and I think that is what happened here. The back wheel would not move an inch. We dragged the bike to a nearby driveway and left it there. I called my brother who just happens to live in Bartow, he agreed to let us use his truck to haul the bike back to Lakeland. I was going to be another hour until he would meet up with us so we rode into Bartow and waited at a local restaurant. Since I had the hump on the Busa, Mike had no choice but to ride Fag with Brian. (Does anyone else call it that?) after my brother arrived, he loaned us his truck and the three of us, Brian, Mike and I loaded the non-rolling bike into the back of the truck and brought it back to Lakeland which is not an easy task, that bike was heavy, getting it out wasn't easy either. We then took the truck back to Bartow, got on our bikes and came home.
We are all amazed at how well he came out of this mishap. We can think of so many scenarios that could have turned out so much worse, such as happening on a curve, or a two lane road with heavy traffic, rather than an open 4 lane with very little traffic and no curves in sight. I say God was watching out for Mike tonight. PTL we can just laugh about it now.

Kevin

Very scary and I agree, thank the Lord that it wasn't worse. Let us know the real deal on the rear wheel locking up.

The Lord was definately looking out for you guys.
wink.gif

Glad he's ok, and yeah, please tell us what happened with the drive, no fluid, service or what?
rock.gif

very glad that it wasn't worse.

On another note, can you be specific on the gear he was wearing? I'd like to know what he had on...which one held, which one gave, that kinda deal, ya know? If at all possible.

Would be nice to know if he had problems with any gear, but it is good to know that he had it on.

Glad he is ok, that is my biggest fear, mechanical failure, ie. chain, blow-out, nuked engine etc etc.
scary stuff!

Coulda been much worse... glad to hear he came out of it with just a scraped elbow~
cool.gif

Glad he's okay. Another testimonial for wearing gear!

On another note, can you be specific on the gear he was wearing? I'd like to know what he had on...which one held, which one gave, that kinda deal, ya know? If at all possible.
Well he wasnt wearing an armored jacket, he hadnt bought one yet, he was just wearing an old winter jacket that held up pretty good. He had on Suzuki pants with armor and they worked great, thats where he did most of his sliding, and just a pair of leather gloves and helment of course.

Well he wasnt wearing an armored jacket, he hadnt bought one yet, he was just wearing an old winter jacket that held up pretty good.  He had on Suzuki pants with armor and they worked great, thats where he did most of his sliding, and just a pair of leather gloves and helment of course.
Glad to hear he's OK. So did the shaft drive lock up??

Yes it did. We arent sure why yet but im betting there was no gear oil in there. Probably get around to checking tomorrow.

Glad to hear the GOOD news! Sorry about the beat up bike. I've always wondered if shaft drives locked up. Now I know. I've had 2 and never even thought about chaeckin the oil in 'em. Heck I thought they were simply enclosed drive shafts that didn't need lubrication. Shows what I know!! Guess that's why i fix car washes and not Motorcycles!

Back