Brembo Master Cylinder Upgrade and Pazzo Clutch Handle Upgrade

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
Hey all:

Finally had time to install the Brembo Master Cylinder and the Pazzo Clutch Handle. I did the clutch handle first, since it was easiest first!!! Not much to it... remove the 10mm nut from the bottom of the pivot bolt. Then take a 8mm socket and ratchet and remove the bolt. Make sure you dont loose the bronze pivot for the clutch master rod. Clean everything up good... pivot, bronze pivot and the top and bottom of the clutch master assembly where the handle goes into. (The grease from the factory is dry and gritty.) Install the Pazzo clutch master cylinder back in the same order you took out. Just dont forget to great the pivot bolt, the bronze pivot, and the top and bottom paret of the new pazzo handle! It is much smoother to operate now, but hate that it hits the bar end on full pull of the clutch lever. Also #4 lever positon is close to hitting the dash on full lock... #5 and #6 setting will hit corner of the dash.

SANY0023.jpg

SANY0031.jpg

SANY0032.jpg

SANY0033.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

Now for the fun part! The Brembo Master Cylinder. First I removed the Hayabusa master cylinder and SS brakes lines. The SS lines are galfer. I was able to make them work with some moving around and creative thinking! I took the right line and flipped it around top to bottom... Now the bottom is at the master cylinder and the top at the right caliper. The Brembo Master Cylinder took some work to get it to work. I had to remove some material off of it where it hit the clip-on corner when I installed it. Also removed some of the clip-on's corner too, this took many tries to get the correct clearance. Once I was able to get the lines to work, I had issues with the brembo master cylinder banjo bolt. I had to remove some threads to shorten it and allow it to secure the brake lines and washers in place. After I got that to work, I moved on to get the supplied brake reservoir to work. Well I couldnt get it to work with out major modding. I had a left over 02 Gsxr Brake master cylinder reservoir and Bracket. Took a little thought and the picture shows what I was able to do. I am somewhat happy with my results. But, I like the fact that it clears the Temp gauge and it clears the windscreen on full sweep turns.

NOW.... WOW! What a difference! Strong strong strong power.... very smooth lever action! The front end dives and the rear gets much lighter then before. I can almost stoppie the bike without trying! I cant wait to ride it more! It now gives my 09 Gsxr 1000 a run for it money in brake feel and power!

SANY0043.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

SANY0040.jpg

SANY0039.jpg

SANY0037.jpg

I just installed some Vesrah RJL pads also, 1 finger braking now with my brembo M/C.

I used This for the res mount. Works good and you can bent it around for the perfect fitment.

pic on my busa

brembo10.jpg

I just installed some Vesrah RJL pads also, 1 finger braking now with my brembo M/C.

I used This for the res mount. Works good and you can bent it around for the perfect fitment.

pic on my busa

brembo10.jpg

Which Brembo master Cylinder do you have? The end that attaches to the bar end looks different then the 19 RCS that I have. I like the bracket you got to make yours work. Mine does look some what factory looking, which is fine with me. I am going to clean up a few things with my install. It does look good, but it is the OCD in me to make sure it is really clean. What Brake lines are you using? Stock... SS lines or specail order? Mine SS lines work... but it close on the tight side. I put all the slack towards the lower forks. So far after some hard stops and a few miles in the hood... it seems fine! I did get a pazzo handle for the Brembo too. But it is perfect for someone who likes the shortie handles. Left the stock Brembo one on and got the black pazzo to match for the clutch master. I cant wait to do more riding with the busa now! Again the braking feel and power is sooooooo much better then before! I didnt think a Master cylinder would make that much improvement in the bike!

Last edited:
I had the same installation problems with the Galfer lines but they went away when I switched to the Speigler lines. The Speigler lines are a tad bit longer than the Galfers and that made everything fit just fine. I think the Galfers are cut for the stock setup and the Brembo has a different attachment point and that makes the Galfers not fit just right. Also you have to use the Brembo supplied bolt at the banjo fittings as the one in the Galfer package doesn't seat right.

The Resvior I got from Brembo was different than yours and it went on perfectly with no clearence issues at lock.

I started out with the Brembo set to max power and the power of the brakes was amazing. After awhile I started to feel like the brakes were too strong and I spent a couple hours backing the Brembo off the power setting toward more feel. Now that I have it right for road work the feel is like I'm grabbing the disks with my own hands! My confidence in braking is crazy now. This is by far the best upgrade I have made to the bike.

A couple of hints: First, you have to bleed the bleeder at the Brembo MC, not just at the calipers. I wasted two bottled of fluid before I realized that air was trapped in the MC and no amount of bleeding at the caliper will get it out - you have to bleed the top too. Second I bought the clutch side Brembo MC too and it doesn't work with a lot of modification on the Busa because of the clutch position switch. I finally realized it was better to stay with the stock unit with a Pazzo lever.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to do this myself. Would you recommend ordering custom made brake lines for someone doing this? :beerchug:

I had the same installation problems with the Galfer lines but they went away when I switched to the Speigler lines. The Speigler lines are a tad bit longer than the Galfers and that made everything fit just fine. I think the Galfers are cut for the stock setup and the Brembo has a different attachment point and that makes the Galfers not fit just right. Also you have to use the Brembo supplied bolt at the banjo fittings as the one in the Galfer package doesn't seat right.

The Resvior I got from Brembo was different than yours and it went on perfectly with no clearence issues at lock.

I started out with the Brembo set to max power and the power of the brakes was amazing. After awhile I started to feel like the brakes were too strong and I spent a couple hours backing the Brembo off the power setting toward more feel. Now that I have it right for road work the feel is like I'm grabbing the disks with my own hands! My confidence in braking is crazy now. This is by far the best upgrade I have made to the bike.

A couple of hints: First, you have to bleed the bleeder at the Brembo MC, not just at the calipers. I wasted two bottled of fluid before I realized that air was trapped in the MC and no amount of bleeding at the caliper will get it out - you have to bleed the top too. Second I bought the clutch side Brembo MC too and it doesn't work with a lot of modification on the Busa because of the clutch position switch. I finally realized it was better to stay with the stock unit with a Pazzo lever.

You are local to me... would like to meet up some time! Hard for members in my area to get together etc! Schedules with work and family!

I have a vacuum bleeder, which makes this so easy to do. I sucked fluid in to the calipers first. Then manual bleed each 3 times. Then put a hose on the master cylinder and bleed it manually 3 times (put hose in fluid cup to save fluid you bleed). A AMA mechanic friend told me this method and worked out great. Was done in 10 minutes. I debated about doingthe clutch side too with a brembo. But it seemed like a lot of work for something that I wasnt really missing. The brake feel and power was what I wanted. I talked to GixxerHp about this and the method you see posted about was the easiest I came up for me. I used the old brake switch off the 02 Gsxr 1k master I had and cut it open, trimmed it, and wired it to work with the stock suzuki harness. Plug and play. The fluid cup is off of the 02 Gsxr 1k I use to have too. It didnt take long to come up with a way to mount it. The only thing I wish Brembo would of done was supplied some brake hose and clamps to go with the master cylinder they sell. Over all I am pleased with the power and feel of the brakes. Was just a pain to get it to work. The speigler lines you are using... are they custom? or just regular busa stock SS upgrades! I dont mind changing them out to slightly longer ones for a piece of mind! Current the galfers are working and no issues with strenching etc. I removed only one thread on the Brembo bango master cylinder bolt, and everything tightened up great.

Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to do this myself. Would you recommend ordering custom made brake lines for someone doing this? :beerchug:

Yes... +1" maybe 2" added to lines they make stock for the busa! GixxerHp did mention this too!

Meet up would be cool, I'll PM you.

My Speiglers were for the stock Busa. They are a hair longer than the Galfers and the banjo bolts can be rotated so fitting is easier.

Performance wise I don't think one is better than the other at least not that I noticed - so custom length Galfers would work just fine I think.

The problem I had with the busa was the lack of brake power and feel! I ride Gsxr1k's so I know what the busa has against it... 110lbs more weight.. and a master cylinder that plain sucks! I had this same master cylinder on the 02 1k... which I swapped out to a 07 gsxr 1k radial master cylinder and a set of Nissan front calipers off a RC51. Night and day difference! Well I tend to ride the busa pretty hard from time to time, and the brakes where always a sore spot for me! I upgraded the lines first...better but not quite there. Then better fluid and Pads.... helped out more! But was missing the feel and power... being consistent... I would pull the lever and have to guess when the brakes where coming in to do there job! Finally got tired of it and figured I would try this upgrade!

Last edited:
Meet up would be cool, I'll PM you.

My Speiglers were for the stock Busa. They are a hair longer than the Galfers and the banjo bolts can be rotated so fitting is easier.

Performance wise I don't think one is better than the other at least not that I noticed - so custom length Galfers would work just fine I think.

I have had all of the major rake line brands.... No real difference in them for me except for quality of lasting there time. I have had goodrich (ok), Hel (loved them), speigler (love them), and galfer... (ok). Price was always a factor... when I bought reason why the many brands I have used!

Which Brembo master Cylinder do you have? The end that attaches to the bar end looks different then the 19 RCS that I have. I like the bracket you got to make yours work. Mine does look some what factory looking, which is fine with me. I am going to clean up a few things with my install. It does look good, but it is the OCD in me to make sure it is really clean. What Brake lines are you using? Stock... SS lines or specail order? Mine SS lines work... but it close on the tight side. I put all the slack towards the lower forks. So far after some hard stops and a few miles in the hood... it seems fine! I did get a pazzo handle for the Brembo too. But it is perfect for someone who likes the shortie handles. Left the stock Brembo one on and got the black pazzo to match for the clutch master. I cant wait to do more riding with the busa now! Again the braking feel and power is sooooooo much better then before! I didnt think a Master cylinder would make that much improvement in the bike!

I have the forged 19x20 M/C. I ordered Speiglers lines from Optimum Performance Products. They said the lines are stock other than the angle of the fitting that goes to the M/C. Also came with the correct banjo bolt to fit the Brembo.

I agree the braking is night and day, huge difference.

so dont do the K9 Gsxr one's, but get the 1098, 1198, or Rsv4's instead! Are they a direct bolt on? No spacers? I am running currently the stock rotors, Ferodo HH Pads, Brembo Rcs, and Galfer lines! And Wow the Brembo master really made the bike stop harder, faster, and smoother!

yes, there is kit of brembo for japanese bike with no modification :thumbsup:

Brembo - M4 caliper fixing 108mm

100m for hayabusa :cheerleader:

100mm calipers are only used on the euro bikes(Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, etc) japanese bikes us 108mm, other than the newer R1's they use 130mm

interesting. Didn't know that the R1 was doing it different from the rest of the japs. :thumbsup: good to know.
100mm calipers are only used on the euro bikes(Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, etc) japanese bikes us 108mm, other than the newer R1's they use 130mm

Swapping m/c is the biggest improvement you can make in the brake system. :thumbsup: You cold go back to stock pads, lines, etc. and you would still have a huge improvement / advantage.

Back