Brembo Caliper swap?

Jza

Registered
Can get a pair of Brembo callipers from Suzuki Uk for a good price that will fit (with a few adjustments to my forks)... Have a 2011 Gen 2 without them.

Has Anyone actually completed the upgrade? Was it worth it?

I think I'll only really see a big difference if I swap for a Brembo master cylinder at the same time.... But interested in anyone whose actually done it's views.

Thanks in advance.

Jza

I'm not a road racer/track guy, but I don't see the reason to put Brembos on my '11 Hayabusa. For regular street riding and touring I never have any desire for different brakes. And I'm pretty sure during a panic stop I can slide the front tire with my oems.

My opinion is the visibility of the name "Brembo" would be the best part of the upgrade. But, Brembo is becoming more vanilla: Buick Regals, Jeep Grand Cherokees, and Range Rovers come standard with Brembos now.

This is only my perspective. I've never ridden a Hayabusa with Brembos. My previous bike, BMW R1100S did have them. I'm not saying installing Brembos is a bad move. You will probably end up with better brakes than I have.

Good brakes are about feel as much as power. The Brembo calipers are very much a step up over stock, even in road riding. To really get the most though I would go with the Brembo calipers and MC, and of course SS brake lines. I got the Brembo MC first (already had SS lines) and it was a big step up from stock in terms of feel and even a little power. I say this because braking became a 2 finger thing as opposed to a 3-4 finger grab. When I added the Brembo calipers things became a 1 finger pull on the lever. This is important because you brake and throttle with the same hand, so it's nice to be able to trail brake deep into the corner while starting to set your maintenance throttle. You should not be on the throttle and brakes at the same time, especially on the street. But there is a grey area there sometimes.

I don't get people riding a Hayabusa and not occasionally doing a spirited run on a favorite road. Brake feel is critical on the street because of varying surface conditions and unexpected obstacles. So the Brembos are a good investment even for average street riding IMHO. I ride fairly aggressively so I feel it's a must do mod.

However the first step in getting good confident braking is the suspension. When setup properly the suspension should control dive and not pogo back up when compressed. So, if you want to improve your brakes the first move is to get the suspension properly setup.

The harder you ride, the longer your hard rides are, and the hotter the ambient conditions are, the more you can benefit from Brembos. And like Fallenarch says, don't forget high end pads, SS lines (and, for me, I installed an Accossato radial master cylinder).

Brembos!.jpg

"I don't get people riding a Hayabusa and not occasionally doing a spirited run on a favorite road."

I don't know if that quote was directed at me? Where I live in Iowa, it's pretty square and flat (boring riding). My favorite ride though is a 100mi round trip (20mi to get to the good part) that winds along the west side and returns on the east side of the Des Moines River. I probably took that route 20 times this summer. I've also had my Hayabusa to SW Wisconsin and the Black Hills several times, once to Colorado. Why do I choose those trips? They are my favorite roads for spirited runs. I like going fast on curves (and straights) but I'm no Jonathan Rea.

Anyway, I knew my opinion of Brembos might be unpopular. I'm perfectly happy with my Tokicos and I'm perfectly happy you guys love your Brembos.

I'm not a road racer/track guy, but I don't see the reason to put Brembos on my '11 Hayabusa. For regular street riding and touring I never have any desire for different brakes. And I'm pretty sure during a panic stop I can slide the front tire with my oems.

My opinion is the visibility of the name "Brembo" would be the best part of the upgrade. But, Brembo is becoming more vanilla: Buick Regals, Jeep Grand Cherokees, and Range Rovers come standard with Brembos now.

This is only my perspective. I've never ridden a Hayabusa with Brembos. My previous bike, BMW R1100S did have them. I'm not saying installing Brembos is a bad move. You will probably end up with better brakes than I have.

"And I'm pretty sure during a panic stop I can slide the front tire with my oems."

Sliding the front tire(especially panicked), is the worst thing that you can do in an emergency stop.
Which caliper doesn't really matter without proper brake control.
We should ALL practice braking, no matter how good any of us think or actually are at it. There's always room for improvement.
That extra foot, or even inches sooner that you can stop can save your life, and it has saved mine.
Practice to the point of being able to do a small stoppie.
We know how many people don't look for or care about motorcycles, as well as how many are texting or distracted.
Better calipers, pads, and master cylinder will increase the clamping force, and with less effort from your hand. SS lines also improve how the brakes feel. They will feel stronger with less effort, especially on a hot day.
But, improved braking parts will also make it that much easier to lock the wheel.
I make no claims to be a great rider; but I will even bet that I can brake and stop just as quick, or quicker, on a DRY road on a gen2 WITHOUT ABS, as I could on a gen2 with ABS(no guarantees the rear wheel will stay on the ground either) .
Reason being, practice, practice, practice. Otherwise, there have been several idiots that would have taken me out over the years.
And, first and foremost, here but by the grace of God go I.
Practice that braking!:beerchug:

"I don't get people riding a Hayabusa and not occasionally doing a spirited run on a favorite road."

I don't know if that quote was directed at me?

Not exactly. But a lot of people take a "Chances are that won't happen to me" attitude about riding safety. Fact is the stock brakes (non-ABS) on a Busa are sub-standard compared to other bikes in the class and have always been. As Sixpack577 points out, long term safety is something a good rider prepares for, it's not just luck. Of course when your number is up it's up, but there are a lot of close calls that you can ride away from if you take preparation of the bike and your skillset seriously.

Ride Safely.

"Sliding the front tire(especially panicked), is the worst thing that you can do in an emergency stop."

No $hi+!!! Listen, I'm not a clueless rider. Been riding for 45 years, never had a wreck. I was saying my stock busa has enough force to slide the front wheel, or do a stoppie, if I want to. In fact, I could slide the front tire on my old Z1. I understand Brembos may be a little better. Did I feel safer on my BMW R1100S that had state of the art Brembos? Nope. In fact, I can honestly say my Hayabusa inferior Tokicos seemed just as good as the Brembos on my BMW. I couldn't tell much of a difference. Even on a spirited ride. Brembos do look cooler, even on a Jeep or Buick.

I NEVER said or tried to imply that you were a "clueless rider".
Your choice of words left the subject up in the air, meaning that the post in no way specified that sliding the front tire in an emergency was a bad thing...which of course it is.
MANY members and non memebers come here for advice. MANY just read and don't comment. An inexperienced and/or new rider may not know any better than to think that locking the front wheel is the quickest way to stop.
We need to point things out and make sure all the best information is provided.
That is another part of what makes this site so great.
I also never really cared for using emocons, emojies(whatever they are called), these>:beerchug: :thumbsup::thumbsup: :laugh: But, I started using them a few years go.
Reason being, they help most people understand the emotion behind our words. So to help not to be misunderstood, as in coming off with a haughty or derogitory attitude.
That's why this :beerchug: was at the end of my post.
It's great that you have never had an accident in 45 years of riding. I hope that continues.
I've been riding 28 years, and other than a lowside in sand and snow that I got up and rode away from, I have yet to go down on the street(but I have countless dirtbike crashes).
Still, no matter how much experience any of us have, we aren't immune to the countless idiots on the road.
Please remember, this IS a public discussion forum. I am here discussing things in a polite and professional manner, as is FallenArch and the other posters.
None of this was directed negatively towards you or anyone.
Again :beerchug:

How did you get on?

fitted today, but they are a very tight fit, the left monobloc is really close to disk
new Hel lines fitted too

will let you know later, although it will rain at pickup according to weather fcast

Braking is a learned skill that not many street riders posses. Braking skills takes practice and I don't know a single street rider that will place much if any emphasis on quick stops, until that dreaded butt pucker moment arrives.

No amount of money can buy skill. Skill must be earned. If you never spend time practicing hard braking, you suck at it and you will still suck at it with Brembo brakes! :dunno:

Whatever speed you enjoy on your mighty busa, I would encourage you to practice quick stops from that speed. Practice, Practice, Practice as braking may become a life saving skill at some point!

Braking is a learned skill that not many street riders posses. Braking skills takes practice and I don't know a single street rider that will place much if any emphasis on quick stops, until that dreaded butt pucker moment arrives.

No amount of money can buy skill. Skill must be earned. If you never spend time practicing hard braking, you suck at it and you will still suck at it with Brembo brakes! :dunno:

Whatever speed you enjoy on your mighty busa, I would encourage you to practice quick stops from that speed. Practice, Practice, Practice as braking may become a life saving skill at some point!

Oh god... should have guessed this old git would spout some irrelevant-to-the-question-asked bullsh1t.

1) You dont know how i ride.

2) You dont know how i brake.

3) You dont know if ive practised anything

4) I havent asked for your opinion on braking technique

5) You arent adding anything to this post.

$3 for that cup of coffee on it's way Tuff :moon:

Back