Breaking News - Motorcycle Pursuit

There is so much bad in this whole situation in my opinion.

1. The PD stopped the pursuit because of speed and endangerment to the public, themselves and the rider - Risk and Reward

2. The citizens acted by blocking the road, You can say Hero for stopping the bike or you can say Vigalante for taking action when the police had stepped out.

3. The rider is obviously lost or not mentally well and isn't dressed like a pro criminal.

No one had all of the information so you have to make the call on what was too much force, if the actions of the truck driver was appropriate or even too much.

I could play this either way to be honest. What if your wife and child was on the road a few minutes before as the bike blew by them and cut them off... What if the truck hadn't taken action and the bike rider pulled a gun and shot someone...

Too much, not enough it's a tough call for sure but I think that in our current state in the country the citizen will be praised by the communtity and possibly penalized from the judicial system but definately will suffer civil liabilites.

What are your thoughts?

cap

There is no good way to look at it nor is there a right or wrong way to look at it. We can debate what-ifs and semantics all day long with no resolve. The rider is alive. Nobody was killed. Maybe this will be the wake up call the suspect needs and maybe he will get the help that he needs.

"Kudos??"

I disagree...if the bike rider was shooting at people on the way by maybe..even the cops knew once they stopped the pursuit, eventually the rider would slow down then they'd go pick him up at his house.

The guy in the truck needs to be sorted out for his role in this. BUT....

he will probably be awarded and deemed a hero...

He does not need to have a weapon. He was apparently mentally unstable and rode that bike- if a pedestrian crosses the street and this idiot is running from the police this bike can be a very deadly weapon.

I dont know the whole story so I wont say the driver was right to do what he did. But if the guy was running from the cops and he was crazy - he had to be stopped.

Private citizenry does not have the right to use force, deadly or otherwise, except in a very narrow set of circumstances. The police broke off the chase, the guy on the bike broke the law and should be held accountable, the guy in the truck broke the law and should be held accountable as well.
@GAmedic what if the bike bounces off the truck and hits an innocent bystander? Then should the truck driver be held liable? Fortunately the only person hurt was the idiot on the bike, but what the truck driver did is not legal.

Couple of months ago, I worked a motorcycle accident. When we got on scene, the dead person on the side of the road was deemed the rider and the accident was called "no foul fatality" and PD assumed he stole the bike because it wasnt his. What really happened was the real rider was high and also a mentally unfit person who came around a corner and hit a pedestrian who was walking home. The tire marks across his chest proved he wasnt the rider. The suspect was found several days later hiding out two counties away and was taken into custody and charged with murder.

Less than a month ago, a motorcycle was stolen up here and he too led police on a chase. He blew through an intersection colliding with a small car that critically injured a high school student.

I have been riding for years though not as long as most of yall and I will be riding for many more years. I've done stupid things in my early years and no longer do it. I stand by my comments. I wont cater to the views that he was "one of us" and the truck driver was wrong. Our differentiating views are what make us unique and makes the world go round.
Truck driver was conducting "vigilantism" I would have the same view if he pulled in front of a car or cut off a person running..

I feel sorry for the bike. . .
Poor thing is dead now, thanks to the stupid rider and the ‘vigilante’ truck driver!
That bike did not deserve any of this.
Now it’ll be lying in some dismantling yard somewhere all alone, separated from its owner, destined to rust for years to come.
Poor thing. Not fair, not fair at all. . .
Very very sad :confused:

I feel sorry for the bike. . .
Poor thing is dead now, thanks to the stupid rider and the ‘vigilante’ truck driver!
That bike did not deserve any of this.
Now it’ll be lying in some dismantling yard somewhere all alone, separated from its owner, destined to rust for years to come.
Poor thing. Not fair, not fair at all. . .
Very very sad :confused:
However, parts of it could live again on other bikes...it will be recycled.

Bike rider was driving illegally. Period. That said, no one has the right to use a 4000lb weapon to stop them from committing motor vehicle infractions which is exactly what happened here.

Where I am, biggest offense committed was driving to endanger and failure to stop plus a million little failure to signal etc....

Using the vehicle to stop the bike from committing offenses that would amount to court costs, is extremely illegal. Cases could be made for attempted murder for the truck driver. Just so everyone understands what happens now, the bike rider goes to the hospital and gets a citation. He will not be under arrest because then you have to watch him at the hospital which costs the municipality $$$.

The truck driver on the other hand would absolutely be on his way to jail for his part.

Bike rider was driving illegally. Period. That said, no one has the right to use a 4000lb weapon to stop them from committing motor vehicle infractions which is exactly what happened here.

Where I am, biggest offense committed was driving to endanger and failure to stop plus a million little failure to signal etc....

Using the vehicle to stop the bike from committing offenses that would amount to court costs, is extremely illegal. Cases could be made for attempted murder for the truck driver. Just so everyone understands what happens now, the bike rider goes to the hospital and gets a citation. He will not be under arrest because then you have to watch him at the hospital which costs the municipality $$$.

The truck driver on the other hand would absolutely be on his way to jail for his part.

Good to have your trained insight weigh in....

You echo my sediments exactly.

It’s possible that the truck was in the process of turning around and not intentionally blocking the road. If he passed the bike, pulled into the driveway to back out and turn around, just like the bike did, he could have still been turning around when the bike came back.

It’s possible that the truck was in the process of turning around and not intentionally blocking the road. If he passed the bike, pulled into the driveway to back out and turn around, just like the bike did, he could have still been turning around when the bike came back.
He looked to be purposely blocking the rider....

Back