Break this Fill Plug - pics

mymaster

Dr. Frankenstein
Donating Member
Registered
It's a manual transmission fill plug on a 89 accord, who ever had it before decided to piss it away, I have a replacement. The only thing I can think of is some kind of death grip with vise-grips, it's on there solid. Problem is theres very little turning room. Any thoughts?

drain bolt 004.JPG

drain bolt 002.JPG

steel to aluminum creates an oxide that locks them up... the best thing I have found is an air hammer to rattle them loose..

Smacking it with a hammer can knock some sense into it also but unless you have a good feel, you can bust the housing.

I would advise you take the thing to an experienced "Honda" shop and let them do it.. The $20--$40 it cost you will be a bargain

The damage you see typically comes from cheap sockets or a guy with a wrench that slips off (these are always best removed with a 3/8 impact with a good quality socket IMO)

if you do attempt this yourself, I would try to use a hammer on what ever you hook up with to shock it loose

Last edited:
steel to aluminum creates an oxide that locks them up... the best thing I have found is an air hammer to rattle them loose..

Smacking it with a hammer can knock some sense into it also but unless you have a good feel, you can bust the housing.

I would advise you take the thing to an experienced "Honda" shop and let them do it.. The $20--$40 it cost you will be a bargain

The damage you see typically comes from cheap sockets or a guy with a wrench that slips off (these are always best removed with a 3/8 impact IMO)

I agree.
You can also try a tiny bit of anti-seize on the new one.

I agree.
You can also try a tiny bit of anti-seize on the new one.
never hurts.. usually this is only a problem on plugs that have never been removed.. (no oil ever coats the thing) most annoying for the home DIY guy, not such a big deal in a shop where we have all the toys to bust it loose..

BTW, nice photos!! so often guys crowd the object trying to get detail and all they get is "Fuzzygraphs" :laugh:

Find a cheap slightly undersized socket and hammer the fugger onto that rounded over plug. Then break it loose with a breaker bar and toss it...

Or you could try to hit up sears for one of those universal sockets with the pins that retract to the shape of the head... They are designed for odd shaped and rounded bolts.

Find a cheap slightly undersized socket and hammer the fugger onto that rounded over plug. Then break it loose with a breaker bar and toss it...

Tried that, no hammer room, most you can get is a "tink tink tink" amount of force.

Maybe a large pin punch and a hammer could to towards working it loose by hitting the large diameter edge where it mates to the housing. That is if you have a clear path to swing a hammer.

REMOVING THAT PLUG IS THE EASY PART , PIPE WRENCH OR VISE GRIPS WILL GIVE YOU THE BITE NEEDED . GET WHATEVER WRENCH YOU WANT , THEN HEAT IT UP WITH A TORCH AND THROW SOME ICE COLD WATER ON IT AT THE SAME TIME YOUR BREAKING THE WRENCH . IT SURE LOOKS LIKE YOUR CASE IS BUSTED WHICH IS COMMON WITH THEM TRANNY CASES . GOOD LUCK TO YA . YOU'LL PROLLY END UP BUYING A PULL OUT OR PATCHING IT AND SELLING IT . DEPENDS ON HOW MANY $$$$$ YOU WANT TO SINK INTO THAT OLD OF A CAR .:banghead:

Case looks fine in that photo.

+1 on taking up to a shop. Trying different home fixes might make it harder for the mechanic when you end up taking it up to a shop to have it done. Costing you extra $$.

Just pull speed-0 gear out of top of trans and refill with 2.3 qts of motor oil ( NOT GEAR OIL IN A HONDA (5 speed) TRANSMISSION) make sure you drian it 1st then refill it and your done :rulez: don't need to remove filler plug

Had this problem once. Tried many solutions. Finally what worked was to carefully file the 'nut' into a square shape. Then used a vise grips. But I managed to clamp the squared off nut on three sides with the vise grips. If you can picture the vise grips, there are the two 'jaws' and also a flat part in between the jaws. With the three sides clamped and a slow steady pressure applied the nut turned after about 3 seconds. An alternative offered by local reapir shop was to leave the plug alone, and to siphon out the old oil.

Sears sells stripped nut sockets. Acts like an easy out but from the out side of the nut. I have used them a few times on rounded nuts and bolts. Works for me. A little heat helps too.

Take a nut that the ID is bigger than the head of that, and put it over it and tach weld it to it in the center(make sure weld is good) and after you weld it, take whatever size wrench or socket the new nut is and take it out, it should come out easy right after you weld it. Just my 2 cents

everyone stop it just remove speed-0 gear and refill there or just buy a new transmission see how easy this is lol:thumbsup:

IT'S LIKE MAGIC , JUST DON'T CATCH THE HONDA ON FIRE . IT DOES'NT REALLY TAKE ALOT OF HEAT BUT IT IS A TIGHT SPACE USUALLY COVERED IN OIL . IT WILL BE FUN EITHER WAY . :rofl:YOU CAN DO IT .
Don't listen to these guys... You know you really want to go out and buy a torch to have at it! :rofl:

+1 on the Sears easy out sockets, but you need a clear way in to use impact (air or hammer driven). That puppy looks tight. Prolly alot easier if you yank the tranny & put it on the bench. I'm just sayin,,,

Back