Break In

ThunderJohn

Registered
I am picking up my new Busa next monday and was wondering about break in. I have been reading several places and it seems like everyone has their own way of doing it. Since I do not have the manual and you guys have all done this before I have a few questions.

1. Will it be ok to drive it on the interstate for 200 miles when I first buy it? I am getting it in Charleston VA and driving to Moyock NC.

2. If it is how slick are the tires? How do I keep them from being slick. I just want to be cautious, and not have it painted side down the first day.

I just want to know for sure in case I need to trailer it on the way back which might be scarier than my riding.

Thank you in advance for any advice, I always seem to get good advice every time I post on here. Maybe some day I will have enough experience to give some myself.

you'll be fine. Just take it easy on the corners. New tires can be slick but they're not like riding on ice. 200 miles isn't that far so just change speeds here and there. Don't keep a constant speed.

TRAILER!!?? No way!

a good burn out will take care of the rear tire as for the front after about 100 miles it'll be good but be careful if it's all highway miles the sides of the tire will still be slick.

all_coholic.gif
Vary the speed and keep it below 5500 RPMs
super.gif

Man I am glad to hear that I can ride it. I am ready to cut vacation short I can't wait it almost gives me a hard on just thinking about it.

(jaschil69 @ Jun. 19 2007,20:17) you'll be fine. Just take it easy on the corners. New tires can be slick but they're not like riding on ice. 200 miles isn't that far so just change speeds here and there. Don't keep a constant speed.

TRAILER!!??  No way!
Especially Don't keep it at a constant RPM (actual speed (MPH)  is not an issue) . Just every now and then drop a few gears and ride there, then up shift a couple of miles and go up and down with the throttle. You'll be OK and 200 miles want be anything. Infact, if you ride back with alot of traffic, you can forget the above. You'll never keep the bike at a constant rpm. Out here, Yeah, in Metro areas, NO ! I would'nt be concern with the tires. Your probably not going to do much twisty stuff and after about 75 miles, the sealer on the tires isn't an issue !  Just HAVE FUN and ENJOY your new ride  
beerchug.gif

I did the same thing when I bought mine but I rode 460 miles north on 1 and 101 to get home instead of droning on I-5. Like they've said, vary the rpms and it will be fine. After the 2nd oil change I switched to Amsoil full synth. Now at nearly 15,000 miles, when I changed the oil it was about a half cup low. Broke it in just fine!
biggrin.gif

Good website for Break in is: look under feature articles and it is the first one listed under Tech Briefs. Hope this helps. Have fun, be careful, & ride safe.

Remove the reflectors before you leave the dealer. They cause a lot of drag and can cause major stress to the engine.
smile.gif

(NightCrawler @ Jun. 19 2007,15:19) Remove the reflectors before you leave the dealer. They cause a lot of drag and can cause major stress to the engine.
smile.gif
My first pic somewhere in Malibu I think, and the reflectors didn't do any harm at all.
biggrin.gif

IMG016__Small_.JPG

don't know how true this is but when I got my bike they said

"just ride it - dont beat on it - don't baby it - just ride it"

so thats what I did

Back